Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo/Primal storable emergency food page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I always have tons of toilet tissue on hand. Trust me, I'll be able to buy water and batteries with it when the zombies come.

Oh, and I'm heading to V's house when it all comes down.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Sorry Joanie since i'm closer I think I'll get there first.

We always have a freezer full of pastured beef and or pork. We have a creek nearby and the means to sterilize water. We also have a parabolic solar cooker and a wood stove so we can cook stuff w/o electricity.

But we have been thinking it would be a good idea to have a small generator as DS needs it for his meds.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Sorry Joanie since i'm closer I think I'll get there first.
    Kill the Zombies Party at V's!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Kill the Zombies Party at V's!
    There is plenty of room for everyone!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I made some pemmican once and put it on a shelf in my cupboard. I ate it 6 months later. It was as good or better than the day I made it. Definitely stores well. Its ingredients alone would store well, too, which are beef tallow and dried beef.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    My emergency stores are all things I eat regularly anyway. Sardines, canned fish, olives, canned veggies and fruits, etc. I just put the new ones I pick up in the back and rotate them forward as they get used. I'm always growing my stash; right now I probably have 2 months of calories in the pantry.

Any more than that, and I'm shooting every animal in a 30 mile radius.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    For short-term: fish works well, especially if pressure cooked. Also, dehydrating just about any standard meats will last a really long time. I would also keep a big bag of sealed rice around, as trying to keep it paleo (thus low cal) is a bad survival strategy.

For long-term: I really enjoy that show "Doomsday Preppers", for how idiotic a lot of them are.....apparently, the plan for a lot of people is to build a fortress, store a ton of ammo, and keep enough food to feed them for the next 12 years....this way, once it is realized that you have a lot of things, it will be much becoming of a small army to come and take all of your shit....and also, once the food runs out, which it will, you can just hang out and slowly starve to death.

In THAT kind of situation, whereupon we essentially turn back into the stone age, the only currency will be knowledge. A person that knows how to grow crops, fix engines, hunt and trap, build shelters, make fire, beat you into a pulp and steal your girlfriend, will have an infinite advantage over a hoarder. If anyone's survival plan involves locking themselves inside a house, it is probably preferable to just die.

I will be out with a badass garden though.....and a 50 cal.....and homemade liquor
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I saw someone mentioned on another thread that spam is actually almost primal.

Other than that I can only think of canned tuna and other seafood.... But probably will not last 25 years. Usually only frankenfoods last that long.

Chili?? Maybe if you can find some decent brand of meat chili.

Jerky would last a while but certainly not 25 yrs.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Armour brand Corned Beef Hash is also sorta kinda primal.

As for Chili, I cannot find a canned one that doesn't have TVP

M.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Armour brand Corned Beef Hash is also sorta kinda primal.

As for Chili, I cannot find a canned one that doesn't have TVP

M.
    ewww textured vegetable protein?

That reminds me of that time i tried to eat less meat in my diet and bought some of that stuff.

Ugh gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not long after I got my gallbladder ganked, I tried the more standard "go be green and healthy" approach and tried the "conventional health foods". TVP was one of them. At the time, I was making spaghetti in a rice cooker (no stove), and using it instead of meat since I didn't have anything to cook the meat in. I find if you soak it in warm pasta sauce long enough, it's ok.

But yeah, pretty much every no-bean chili I pick up has either TVP or soy flour in it. FFS people! Guess I'm going to buy myself a big pot and make my own this weekend :|

M.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast