Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What fish oil supplements are safe to take when pregnant? page

JoeyLawrence is offline Junior Member

What fish oil supplements are safe to take when pregnant?

Primal Fuel
    My wife is pregnant and is taking a generic Publix bought fish oil supplement and I am skeptical about it. I take Carlson's Cod Liver Oil, but she is hesitant because of contaminant/mercury scare for fetuses. What is the best fish oil supplement for a pregnant woman to take?

abraka8 is offline Member
    Just look for something that comes from small fish. It should say so on the label- something like anchovy, sardine, and mackerel. Being small and low on the food chain, they don't pose the same risk of being mercury laden.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyLawrence View Post
    My wife is pregnant and is taking a generic Publix bought fish oil supplement and I am skeptical about it. I take Carlson's Cod Liver Oil, but she is hesitant because of contaminant/mercury scare for fetuses. What is the best fish oil supplement for a pregnant woman to take?
    Sardines!
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    If your wife also eats liver more than once a week and is taking daily cod liver oil she also watch vit A levels. Most women don't eat liver more than once a week anyhow, so it usually isn't a big deal.
    I'd stick with the above recommendations.. Small fish like krill oil that is cold pressed.

charlii is offline Banned
    You should be more worried about synthetic vitamin A in most fish oils than the mercury.

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    If she has to take a sup, I would say she cannot go wrong with fermented cod liver oil. The only problem here is that it is quite expensive (I got some from Green Pastures and from what I read, it is the best you can find).

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Fermented cod liver oil is great and is all I recommend to clients...the vit A in cod liver oil alone isn't a concern unless it's coupled with a diet high in vit A. Many cultures, particularly inuit, have recognized that it's dangerous to eat excessive vit A, especially when pregnant (can cause birth defects and tax the maternal liver).

If you want to keep your costs down, try to get the DHA from other sources like the sardine recommendation above or from other fatty fish eaten a few times a week. I wouldn't worry too much about mercury honestly. Just stay away from large predatory fish like shark ect.

If she's really freaked out you can also try a DHA from blue green algae however it's terribly expensive as well...better off with the FCLO.

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    Don't get fish oil supplements eat fish. Omega 3 oils oxidize really quickly and become toxic. It's why in trials taking tablets has a detrimental effect wheras eating fish a couple of times has a positive effect.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

charlii is offline Banned
    Only synthetic vitamin A is bad natural vitamin A is fine in very large amounts. You need an oil that hasn't had it's vitamins stripped and replaced with synthetic ones. The only one out there besides FCLO with is ridiculously expensive is Garden of Life Olde World Cod liver Oil, it's like 9 dollars on vitacost. Weston Price recommended 20,000iu of vitamin A per day from CLO as well as liver twice per week so you are looking at 30,000iu per day.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    My wife is currently using the Prenatal DHA By: Nordic Naturals.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast