Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What fish oil supplements are safe to take when pregnant? page 2

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by charlii View Post
    Only synthetic vitamin A is bad natural vitamin A is fine in very large amounts. You need an oil that hasn't had it's vitamins stripped and replaced with synthetic ones. The only one out there besides FCLO with is ridiculously expensive is Garden of Life Olde World Cod liver Oil, it's like 9 dollars on vitacost. Weston Price recommended 20,000iu of vitamin A per day from CLO as well as liver twice per week so you are looking at 30,000iu per day.
    Natural Vitamin A can be dangerous in large doses I don't care what the Weston Price Organization says about it. They claim Vitamin D lowers the toxicity with people who consume large doses of vitamin A but this is bunk as well. Unless a person constantly has their vitamin A levels tests through supplementation it might do more harm that good. Also since the recommendation is for a pregnant woman I would not suggest that much Vitamin A.

I known people on a certain other diet that follows his recommendation of high Vitamin A with Vitamin D. A few people after a few months actually started to lose their hair!
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

charlii is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    Natural Vitamin A can be dangerous in large doses I don't care what the Weston Price Organization says about it. They claim Vitamin D lowers the toxicity with people who consume large doses of vitamin A but this is bunk as well. Unless a person constantly has their vitamin A levels tests through supplementation it might do more harm that good. Also since the recommendation is for a pregnant woman I would not suggest that much Vitamin A.

I known people on a certain other diet that follows his recommendation of high Vitamin A with Vitamin D. A few people after a few months actually started to lose their hair!
    20,000iu is only for pregant women, normal people he recommends 10,000iu. My point here isn't the dosage anyway I was just highlighting it's safety. My point is synthetic vitamin A is the thing to worry about in CLO. I think around 3g per day of omega 3 from CLO is very healthy, when you consider under people eating SAD can easily eat over 50g of polyunsaturated omega 6 in comparison 3g of omega 3 from unrefined CLO with it's natural vitamins is not only safe but very healthy. Although it's more about balancing 3/6. They should be 1 to 1 and probably no more than 6g of each.

geckotreefrog is offline Member
    The best Really is to eat Wild caught omega 3 fish, like salmon, Not to take supplements: Please get the book "Perfect Health Diet" by Paul and Shou-Ching Jaminet Ph.D's. Go straight to P.123-132 to see why: Fish is refrigerated or frozen after it is caught, so the omega 3's remain fresh. But, fish oil capsules have been stored at room temp for who knows how long, so you have no way of knowing if the oil has become oxidized or rancid. Yes, they do use the word toxic in reference to omega 3 oxidation. See P. 123: "The peroxidative index of omega 3 fats is even Higher than that of omega 6...".(! This really surprised me!). P. 124: "It is interesting that fish consumption has an excellent record in clinical trials, but fish oil capsule supplements do not". (They are not referring to pregnancy here, per se). Their emphatic recommendation: "Do NOT take fish oil capsules. Get your omega 3 fats from fish." The question, then, is how much oily fish to eat? It partly depends on how much omega 6 oil you consume, & they provide a comparative table on p. 128. See p. 129: "...minimize omega 6 fats, keeping them...preferably near 2% of energy, while eating about a pound of salmon (or similar fish, such as sardines) per week to achieve omega 6 and omega 3 balance." They also state that "omega 3 toxicity (even from fish) begins at about 3 grams of long chain omega 3's per day, meaning that it's important to eat less than 2 lbs. of salmon per week". P130-132 has fabulous charts showing omega 3 & omega 6 content of various protein sources. Also, charts with animal & plant based fats, oils, foods, & their % breakdown of saturated fat, monounsatutated fat, omega 3's & omega 6's. Visiting their website perfecthealthdiet.com may give more pregnancy specific recommendations, but their book gives the best, most comprehensive info on the omega 3 topic I have ever seen. They do cite studies. You may even get a response from Paul about pregnancy specific questions if you post the question on his website. You seem more aware than most people about nutrition in pregnancy. Best wishes!!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    congratulations on the baby!

as mentioned above taking fish oil can be about worthless unless 0:6 is minimized and also can be dangerous if rancid. there is no effing way i'd take supermarket fish oil. just eat wild fatty fish. salmon, mackerel, sardines and herring are low enough on the food chain that mercury is not a concern.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nordic Naturals Supplements

Why Nordic Naturals
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12