Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VLC for a teenager? page

Emtropy is offline Senior Member

VLC for a teenager?

Shop Now
    So I'm assuming some people on here have visited the site PaleoHacks?

A few months ago I posted about weight-loss and a meal plan for such; all of the replies suggested lowering carbs until I saw some results.

But I did the opposite and increased carbs. I'm not gonna lie, I feel better, but I'm still slightly chubby. I perform better at the gym and at school, and do not have nearly as many cravings eating rice/potatoes/fruit; my periods are less painful; my shoulders are getting more defined....but I still have bellyfat.

I mean, i'm 15...I've been told to just eat healthily and exercise and the weight will come off when I grow. And it's not a major problem. But would you say VLC/calorie restriction for teenagers is detrimental?

Oh, and general opinions on teenage weightloss? I have restricted calories, fat, carbs in the past...no good results came from any of the three.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I would say that it is likely to be detrimental over time, yes. As a growing person, restriction will only cause problems, in my opinion.

General opinion on teenage weightloss is: don't try for fast results. Keep doing what you're diong, since it sounds like it's a good formula for health for you. How much fat do you realistically have to lose?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I would say that it is likely to be detrimental over time, yes. As a growing person, restriction will only cause problems, in my opinion.

General opinion on teenage weightloss is: don't try for fast results. Keep doing what you're diong, since it sounds like it's a good formula for health for you. How much fat do you realistically have to lose?
    I'm actually afraid that I messed up my body in its most important years: from 13-14 I went from low-fat, low calorie, to low-carb and lowish calorie. Now I'm 15 I'm just trying to eat healthy.

Hm, I couldn't say. I'm only really bothered about my belly...so maybe 10lbs? I honestly have no idea on how to judge without uploading a pic to get another opinion.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I would strongly advice against any version of low-carb. You are only 15 and your body's physiology is still developing. Why would you want to interfere with all of those complex processes by restricting carbs?

At your age is best to just eat natural foods most of the time and make sure you get plenty of activity and sunlight. Don't sweat an occasional pancake or pizza, it could quite possibly create an unhealthy relationship with food for you from now on.
    I think it's admirable that you concern yourself with healthy eating at your age, but teenagers are susceptible to overdoing it and possibly developing eating disorders (not saying that this is what you are doing, necessarily)

As to:
    Oh, and general opinions on teenage weightloss?
    My son who is also 15, but has never been overweight has leaned out some more and is growing nice muscle by lifting weights and running a couple of miles with me occasionally, but he's not really serious about working out with a set schedule or anything. He also does not restrict macro-nutrients.

Eat well and have fun.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i was a teenager once and i wish i know what i know now! i have 3 daughters. i would say just eat healthy and exercise. and i also reckon VLC calorie restriction is never anything other than detrimental for a teenager. concentrate on eating real food and avoiding poisons. Your body is still growing and i cannot overstate the importance of this, you are building the body you will have for life so you need to focus on nourishment. we all do but it is even more relevant for you. also prob incredibly important and i am so pleased you have already started to work it out.....do what makes you feel good and able to live and enjoy your life. i've bolded the good bits!

But I did the opposite and increased carbs. I'm not gonna lie, I feel better, but I'm still slightly chubby. I perform better at the gym and at school, and do not have nearly as many cravings eating rice/potatoes/fruit; my periods are less painful; my shoulders are getting more defined....but I still have bellyfat.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I would strongly advice against any version of low-carb. You are only 15 and your body's physiology is still developing. Why would you want to interfere with all of those complex processes by restricting carbs?

At your age is best to just eat natural foods most of the time and make sure you get plenty of activity and sunlight. Don't sweat an occasional pancake or pizza, it could quite possibly create an unhealthy relationship with food for you from now on.
    I think it's admirable that you concern yourself with healthy eating at your age, but teenagers are susceptible to overdoing it and possibly developing eating disorders (not saying that this is what you are doing, necessarily)

As to:

My son who is also 15, but has never been overweight has leaned out some more and is growing nice muscle by lifting weights and running a couple of miles with me occasionally, but he's not really serious about working out with a set schedule or anything. He also does not restrict macro-nutrients.

Eat well and have fun.
    Thank you I lift weights 2-3x per week and sometimes go for bike rides too. I think I'm OK for exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i was a teenager once and i wish i know what i know now! i have 3 daughters. i would say just eat healthy and exercise. and i also reckon VLC calorie restriction is never anything other than detrimental for a teenager. concentrate on eating real food and avoiding poisons. Your body is still growing and i cannot overstate the importance of this, you are building the body you will have for life so you need to focus on nourishment. we all do but it is even more relevant for you. also prob incredibly important and i am so pleased you have already started to work it out.....do what makes you feel good and able to live and enjoy your life. i've bolded the good bits!
    Well, I'm never so sure of myself haha, but I do prefer a higher carb intake I just wasn't sure whether or not to restrict to lose bellyfat. I don't think I'm going to worry as much about it anymore as I really can't be bothered haha.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I agree with what everyone has said so far, don't do VLC. My son is 15, on the lean side, but he was overweight last year due to prescription steroids (prednisone) once he got off the steroids and mostly avoided wheat the weight just melted away. He eats a lot of rice, potatoes and fruit. The main thing is don't stress about the weight you said you feel better and that's the most important thing. I think restricting any macro would do more harm than good.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I just wasn't sure whether or not to restrict to lose bellyfat.
    i've done vegan where all you really eat is carbs. i've done carnivorous almost zero carb. neither made any diff to belly fat. i am also not fat but we do naturally store fat there as women. we're supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I agree with what everyone has said so far, don't do VLC. My son is 15, on the lean side, but he was overweight last year due to prescription steroids (prednisone) once he got off the steroids and mostly avoided wheat the weight just melted away. He eats a lot of rice, potatoes and fruit. The main thing is don't stress about the weight you said you feel better and that's the most important thing. I think restricting any macro would do more harm than good.
    Does your son do a lot or exercise, or just sort of an average amount?

And I hardly, if ever, eat wheat...apart from the occasional meal with family; but it makes me feel too sluggish and achy to bother with it most of the time

Thanks for the advice, everyone

Sent from my HTC One mini using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i've done vegan where all you really eat is carbs. i've done carnivorous almost zero carb. neither made any diff to belly fat. i am also not fat but we do naturally store fat there as women. we're supposed to.
    True; i just have more than an average amount, I think. Which will hopefully disappear as I grow and develop more...?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Last edited by Emtropy; 10-22-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast