Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VLC for a teenager? page 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Just start working out and keep eating, eating, eating - real food. You have growing to do and your fat should vanish as you add muscle. It's better to be slightly overweight at this age than too thin. By all measures.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    My son started lifting weights with his dad about 2 months ago, before that he was doing bodyweight exercises, (You are Your Own Gym) he walks with us in the woods about 5 days a week. Other than he is not very active. His preference is to play games and do research on his computer. He doesn't eat wheat at home, but sometimes when he's out he'll have something made with wheat. He does have sugar at home but not a lot.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Just start working out and keep eating, eating, eating - real food. You have growing to do and your fat should vanish as you add muscle. It's better to be slightly overweight at this age than too thin. By all measures.
    I'm starting to get really into weight-lifting; I go 2-3x per week. I'm getting stronger all the time, so I guess I'll have to be patient.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    My son started lifting weights with his dad about 2 months ago, before that he was doing bodyweight exercises, (You are Your Own Gym) he walks with us in the woods about 5 days a week. Other than he is not very active. His preference is to play games and do research on his computer. He doesn't eat wheat at home, but sometimes when he's out he'll have something made with wheat. He does have sugar at home but not a lot.
    your son and i are alike :3 I used to do racing but I was sick of the training and pressure...now I weightlift, walk, and gently cycle; gives me more time for research and books/games

Sent from my HTC One mini using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Disclaimer: I am an old fart.

You haven't posted (in this thread) you height and weight. There were times in my teens when I thought I was a cow. Looking at those photos 10, 20, 40 years later, I can see that I wasn't a twig, but I certainly was pretty and healthy looking. There were times when I thought I was chubby. Looking at those photos years later, I realize that "chubby" for me as a teenager meant that I didn't look like the skinniest girl in school.

IOW, one of the best lessons you can learn is to not compare yourself to others. Are you really chubby? If so, cut out a few snacks and stay active. Eat well always. If you're only chubby when compared to TwigFigure Tammy, don't worry about it - chances are you're going to have bodacious ta-tas, while she stays relatively flat chested.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Nah, not detrimental. But also not necessary in many cases. Eat primal foods to satiety.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Nah, not detrimental. But also not necessary in many cases. Eat primal foods to satiety.
    I implore you to look into hypoglycemia in adolescents and children before making such a statement. glucose turnover is 4-6 mg/min in adolescents and about 2-4 mg/min in adults. They also have weaker expression of gluconeogenesis. Go ahead, make your children go low carb, and see how well they do.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I implore you to look into hypoglycemia in adolescents and children before making such a statement. glucose turnover is 4-6 mg/min in adolescents and about 2-4 mg/min in adults. They also have weaker expression of gluconeogenesis. Go ahead, make your children go low carb, and see how well they do.
    Don't know what to tell ya. I use to go 3-7 days without eating while sitting at sub 10% body fat and exercising like a fiend in high school. I seem to have survived and thrived. But, more to the point I obviously didn't tell the girl that it was necessary....I think I pointedly stated that it wasn't in most cases.

You are taking exception to the part where I say its not likely to be detrimental then I suppose? Well children in various tribes and in various stages of our evolution have obviously survived to procreate and most the studies I've seen on it tend to indicate that its generally safe with mild to moderate side effect that are preferable to the side effects of heavy medication in the sick population of kids being studied. Seems there is not much clinically done beyond 2 years though. So a month.... 3 months, probably fine. 5-10 years with no refeeds.... probably pushing the envelope.

After all that though I stand by my original statement.... eat the primal foods you like to satiety as a young girl. If that moves you toward the lower carb end you will be fine....if its not low carb... you will also be fine.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-22-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    ^ This is speculation. Many anthropologists disagree.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Not a recommendation either way and i know you're not talking about keto specifically, but John's Hopkins have been using deep keto to treat epileptic children for quite a while now, so they should have done good data on how it impacts on them if you're interested.

I recall reading (in their guide for nurse practitioners that would be supervising the kids and their families) that most only stayed in the diet for a few years but some over 10 with no detrimental affects. No sign of cholesterol or cvd issues either, even though the diet was full of saturated fat.

The one negative they did mention was slightly slower growth, which iirc was put down to the required calorie deficit and after coming if the diet they caught up with their cohort.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast