Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help getting bodyfat down just that last 2%. page

Alancarscadden is offline Junior Member

Help getting bodyfat down just that last 2%.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi there.

Been eating/training Primal for a few months now (Keto before that). I'm 42 years old and have rediscovered the gym earlier this year after quitting smoking and generally having a f***ing word with myself over how I was living my life.

This year I have committed myself fully to eating differently and training in the gym every other day (some weeks every day). I seem to have hit a plateau as far as leaning out goes. I know this might mean that I have reached my natural potential, but wondered if there were any tips people could offer in getting shot of that last bit of belly fat and love handles.

I'm 5' 10", 78Kgs, 13% BF. My macros ar 70% Fat, 25% Pro, 5% Carb. 3000 cals/day.

Any help much appreciated. I don't want to lose muscle by hitting the streets and pounding out 5k every day, just need some tips for fine tuning the diet.

Thanks in advance and criticism of most forms are welcome.
    I'm just starting to believe that anything is possible.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hey there, congrats!
    Maybe it is time to up the good carbs (tubers, fruits) and down the fats ? Say you have 1 or 2 days / week where you reverse fats and carbs, see where that leads you.

Thanks FrenchFry. What's the science behind that? I'm just a stickler for detail. I thought by eating fruits I'd be filling up on fructose?

The science behind that ? Mmmm, I think it is hormonal, related to leptin. Even Sisson talks about "carb refeeds". It depends on the type of your workouts though. I do bodyweight WO myself, and I must say I am glad not to be too low carb (I have days low carb, others quite high, but that is a matter of what I have at hand for cooking, not very planned I must say - sometimes I do not eat for like 2 days but I take it easy then).

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    You have to realize that you can't expect your body to adjust within a few months. You have to give your body time to adjust to what it has done so far. Doing low carb and work out properly will eventually help you loose the last bit of excess fat as well. but you can't expect to clear away many years of bad eating and its results in just mere months...

Something that is suggested all over the board is to take up sprinting to loose fat quicker. i don't know if you are already doing that but you might start or increase on that.
    Also IF is being recommended to get through the plateau. I haven't tried it yet but maybe it might work.

Food wise, I thought doing keto or low carb would help you best. but maybe staying away from nuts and high calorie foods might help..; just an idea...

I am jealous, being able to eat 3000kcal and still loosing weight... I'm too lazy for that!!!
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    The science behind that ? Mmmm, I think it is hormonal, related to leptin. Even Sisson talks about "carb refeeds". It depends on the type of your workouts though. I do bodyweight WO myself, and I must say I am glad not to be too low carb (I have days low carb, others quite high, but that is a matter of what I have at hand for cooking, not very planned I must say - sometimes I do not eat for like 2 days but I take it easy then).
    I see. I think I may have a little reading to do! I train free weights 5 days a week splitting body parts across the days. I mix in some cardio (running) a couple of time a week and throw in core on every day I'm in the gym. I do the odd crossfit/bootcamp at the weekend too. I'll go dig on refeeds!

Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    You have to realize that you can't expect your body to adjust within a few months. You have to give your body time to adjust to what it has done so far. Doing low carb and work out properly will eventually help you loose the last bit of excess fat as well. but you can't expect to clear away many years of bad eating and its results in just mere months...

Something that is suggested all over the board is to take up sprinting to loose fat quicker. i don't know if you are already doing that but you might start or increase on that.
    Also IF is being recommended to get through the plateau. I haven't tried it yet but maybe it might work.

Food wise, I thought doing keto or low carb would help you best. but maybe staying away from nuts and high calorie foods might help..; just an idea...

I am jealous, being able to eat 3000kcal and still loosing weight... I'm too lazy for that!!!
    Thanks Marielle. I'm trying to gain lean muscle and reduce bf so the 3000 is a must or I'd just get catabolic with my training (some days I'm 3800kcal). It's the training that I love and the diet is the tough part. I say that to clarify that the training is not (and will never be) means to losing weight. I will definately be doing more sprinting though as that seems like something I can incorporate quite easily.

I get quite impatient and yeah, I'm probably jumping the gun a little on the frustration. Time eh.

Ha, I told you Sisson mentioned it: Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Hey, if that avi is a picture of yourself you really should stop complaining!!!!!!!!
    If that's you, your body is near perfect!!!
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm a little bit leaner than that and seem to be able to maintain it relatively easily. Getting there is the hard part. Yes, it takes work, but it isn't complicated at all. That is contrary to what everyone else is brainwashed to believe by the "experts" in the health and fitness community.

So how to get there? Here is the answer:
    1. Continue to lift weights as heavy as you can in order to maintain muscle; that is the only purpose weight training should serve. 2. a) Cut calories in any way shape or form in order to shed the fat. Do this as hard as you can and as often as you can until the fat is gone.
    b) Opt for foods that are more satisfying but low in calories. The idea is to cut calories as low as possible without making it too uncomfortable to adhere to. (Use your imagination and be creative on this one.)

It really is that simple. It sucks. I hate cutting calories. But it works.

Other than that, don't change a thing. Keep your diet flexible, 80/20 style. Get plenty of exercise in order to maintain a healthy body and mind. Some times you'll eat more and gain. So to maintain, once in a while you'll have to do a short cut again in order to shed the extra fat. Nothing extreme. Just maintain most of the time, then go extreme for short time once in a while to shed the fat.

PS.
    I used to be obese. This is just what I have found to work for me. I used to think I was "chubby" because of ginetics, until I actually tried and succeeded.
    Peace.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast