Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Planning a trip through UK: Any tips? page 3

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Interesting. From what I have been reading Dover seemed more attractive since it has the later time period connection (tunnels) and the cliffs walk/boat ride/park.
    You could be right. It's some years since I've been there. It may have more if you really know it.

Am I reading correctly that Canterbury would be similar to Gloucester/York?
    Gloucester I don't know. (But I suspect Gloucester has remained important and therefore grown. So maybe as good or even better but not the same kind of feeling to it.) Canterbury is like York and Chichester in having been important, but having not remained so much so. These are small cities -- more like towns with cathedrals -- with a charm of oldness and the small-scale.

I am thinking doing either Windsor or Greenwich one day and Dover or Canterbury - the other out of London. I'll read up on Sandwich, haven't run across it yet.
    You could get some idea of what it looks like by searching google images under: "sandwich kent"

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Great, thank you! Something to think about.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

happyhel is offline Junior Member
    My first post on here had to be for this thread as I am super proud of my local ish castle -Alnwick. It's on the way to Scotland and I lots and lots of Harry Potter was filmed here. They do Potter themed events regularly and show you all the areas used. Very close is bambrough castle and the holy Islands. They are cool as they are only accessible when the tide is right as the Island is only linked via the Causeway. .

I have taken lots of friends from round the globe round the uk. any questions let me know x

primal trying to be as good as I can be

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Not enough London on that list

I recommend Epping Forest, which is on the border of London and Essex. It's a humungous forest, and it's stunning. You can get the underground tube there.

Brighton is also cool - it's got quite an SF vibe to it.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Brighton is also cool
    Well, there's the Royal Pavilion:

Royal Pavilion

the Regent's very expensive Chinese-cum-Indian folly-palace, which is spectacular in its way.

Just don't expect any sand on the beach. LOL

512px-Brighton_beach_brighton_pier.jpg

happyhel is offline Junior Member
    My vote would also be Oxford or Cambridge. Beautiful places. X

primal trying to be as good as I can be

This is a hoot -- The Brighton Anthem by local comedian Terry Garoghan:

Last edited by Lewis; 10-24-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Hi folks, thank you!

Less London is for a reason of us having had been to London before on a number of occasions, and our daughter is still a bit too young to appreciate the major museums. Warwick seems to be more kid-oriented than Tower, and she had been to Kremlin's Armory and Diamond Fund, and I am not expecting her to be all that keen on the treasury. She likes actions. Sounds like Epping Forest will be great for her - I will put it as a London-and-around potential.

We are going to Oxford for sure - I have been to Cambridge before, but never to Oxford!- but I have just updated my plan with staying in Moreton-in-Marsh for Codswald, Oxford and Warwick because rick Steves says accommodations in Oxford are hard to find.

I hope that one of the tours will go to Alnwick, but we will see. I need to start looking into the touring companies!

Downloaded a couple of books this morning from the library:

Lonely Planet's Ye Old Britain, Best Historic Sites and Frommer's Best Day Trips from London, by car, train and bus.

Hopefully will manage to firm up the lists of things I want us to see and can switch to practicalities, such as looking into the tour companies, LOL!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123