Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does No One Have a Good Camera? page

quikky is offline Senior Member

Does No One Have a Good Camera?

Primal Fuel
    I've been sort of wondering about this lately, but why is it when people post pictures of themselves online, 9 times out of 10 it looks like they are using a 15 year old webcam? I think almost any phone these days, and certainly every actual camera, can take pretty good pictures.

What's the deal here? Is it to intentionally make things less visible?

Timthetaco Guest
    Sounds like Instagram. It makes things "look cool".

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    People use webcams (which are shit) and phones (depending on lighting, front-facing camera, and age of the phone; also shit). I don't think people by cameras that are exclusively cameras much anymore unless they're a pro, amateur, or hobbyist, not just casual user.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I either use my ipod (which takes pretty poor pictures) or my Nikon point and shoot (which takes decent pictures.) Trouble is, I usually take the pictures in bad light situations due to what time of day I'm able to take the picture. A lot of things have to be just right:
    - Gotta be feeling thin and have no bloating
    - There must not be any dents from waistbands or seam marks from tight pants or anything like that
    - Need the house to myself so nobody asks embarrassing questions about why am I taking a picture of myself
    - The room where I take the picture has to be moderately clean
    - There needs to be at least some natural light and not too strong a back-light (oddly, most rooms of the house have a window opposite a mirror)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

moluv is offline Senior Member
    I only use my iPhone 5 camera because its easy to upload them straight from there and I am not a photographer just a lame documenter, so I suppose as long as I feel I have suitably documented what I want to see, I don't know or care much about the quality beyond that.

I also never look at the pics I post on a computer- only my phone- so they probably do look grainy full size.

Are you suggesting people with crappy camera phones stop posting so many pics?

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Does No One Have a Good Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I've been sort of wondering about this lately, but why is it when people post pictures of themselves online, 9 times out of 10 it looks like they are using a 15 year old webcam? I think almost any phone these days, and certainly every actual camera, can take pretty good pictures.

What's the deal here? Is it to intentionally make things less visible?
    I have a canon 5D mark II and 50mm prime f/1.4 lens. Professional fashion photography quality.

But I don't like to set it up for a simple vanity shot or to carry my dlsr around for random excursions. I mean, my iPhone 5 takes decent pics like this (of my friend) when I take angles, framing, and lighting into account. So why bother?

The best camera is one you have on with you at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-21-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Are you suggesting people with crappy camera phones stop posting so many pics?
    Not at all. I'm just curious why the quality usually sucks.

The quality of camera phones isn't all that great to begin with, plus a lot of photos are taken in poor light or indoors where camera phones really struggle, and most camera "photographers" are careless when it comes to controlling camera shake.
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Maybe the camera phone pics only look good on a cell phone, but I have to say most of the pictures look great to me and are really fun to look at. As Turquoise said, the best camera is the one you have with you at the time.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Because cameras, watches, phones, pagers, tablets and alarm clocks are all converging in a single device.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast