Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: potatoes and rice? page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member

potatoes and rice?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a bit confused about potatoes and rice in the primal diet.
    In Paleo they throw out all potatoes except for sweet potato and I have been living by that for the last 6 weeks.
    However here in the boards I see many people who are still eating all sorts of potatoes.

Also I see people still eating rice on occasion. Is rice fitting the primal diet?
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    In Paleo they throw out all potatoes except for sweet potato and I have been living by that for the last 6 weeks.
    However here in the boards I see many people who are still eating all sorts of potatoes.

Also I see people still eating rice on occasion. Is rice fitting the primal diet?
    Salut Marielle,
    it depends on your interpretation of primal. Strict paleo ditches all grains and most tubers (that is arguable by the way). But you follow a loose primal diet so it is up to you whether potatoes and rice fit in. As to me, they sure do!!!!

Yesterday, I have made homemade gnocchi: DELICIOUS!!!! I see this as primal, 100%, because that's my interpretation of primal. And even if it was not primal approved by Sisson himself, I would not care. The paleo vs neo distinction is a very blurry one. Industrial seed oils, refined sugar, etc ? Yes, not primal. Potatoes, rice, honey, maple syrup, etc ? Sure, if you want it to. Paleo ? I don't know, but does it really matter ?

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    Primal doesn't stop you eating tubers like potatoes or innocuous grains like white rice as they don't contain antinutrients and/or intestinal irritants. A small and controlled amount of starch is beneficial in the human gut as it provides sustenance for the best kind of bacteria. They in turn can give you some lovely short chain fatty acids in return. The problems arise if you have any intestinal problems or if you have issues with insulin and blood sugar. Half a jacket potato or a serving spoon of rice with your evening meal will probably help you. If you are an athlete you can have a bit more depending on your activity level.
    Many ancient cultures dug up and ate tubers. They had thousands of years to work out which ones were safe and what to do make them edible (e.g cooking). I prefer sweet potatoes as they have more beta carotene and I believe them to be more nutrient dense though if I have learned anything whilst posting on here it is that someone somewhere will vehemently disagree with pretty much any of what I have said.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Selecting is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    I prefer sweet potatoes as they have more beta carotene and I believe them to be more nutrient dense though if I have learned anything whilst posting on here it is that someone somewhere will vehemently disagree with pretty much any of what I have said.
    It depends on what you're after, but I would say they're both similarly nutrient dense to the point that it doesn't matter too much (although I would lean towards potatoes being superior). Here's a micronutrient comparison between 1 kilo of potatoes, 1 kilo of sweet potatoes, and also a roughly equal amount of calories from unenriched white rice:
    Food data search with side by side comparisons

Some people may also point out that if you want vitamin A you'd be bettor off getting preformed vitamin A (retinol) from let's say having some liver once in a while, as opposed to relying on beta-carotene.
    Last edited by Selecting; 10-21-2013 at 02:33 AM.

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    Yes, beta carotene looks good but is poorly converted. I suppose it's a good habit to try to eat colourful stuff but not always scientifically justified. Liver on the other hand takes some skill to make it taste like anything other than sh1t. I still eat it.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    I personally do white potatoes much more than sweet. I don't mind sweet potatoes, but they are ... too sweet to my taste!
    A blend of sweet and white in the oven, with chunks of onions, etc, gives a nice veggie dish. I usually end up melting some butter and poor the fat on top of my plate of tubers. Salt, pepper, herbs, and that's it Fish or meat / liver is nicer with this bed of tubers. Hard to go for a dessert after that ...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    White rice is considered pretty much of a null food. It won't hurt most people, but it's not nutrient rich. It is however a nice way to inexpensively increase calories or round out some dishes. If you plug both white potato and sweet potato into a tracker, the biggest difference you'll see is the VitA boost from the sweet and a bit more protein in the white.

IMO both can be used in moderation on a regular basis. A quarter cup (dry) white rice has about 34 grams of carb (changes depending on type of rice). A 10 oz white potato has about 45 grams of carb. So, even if you're staying at less than 100 grams of carbs per day (and not everyone has that goal), you can easily fit rice and potatoes into your meals as long as you're not eating piles of the stuff.

ETA: I always forget about the nightshade issue because it's not an issue for me. White potatoes are nightshades.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 10-21-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    ETA: I always forget about the nightshade issue because it's not an issue for me. White potatoes are nightshades.
    Never thought about that... you might have solved an issue here... I haven't been able to eat white potatoes without heavy stomach aches since about 7 years... Thanks!!
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Never thought about that...
    I eat what suits me as an individual. I eat some potatoes and some rice with no ill effects. I occasionally have peas and some runner, french & broad beans with no ill effects. As long as I still feel good afterwards I'll eat it. I can happily eat wheat, rye, barley & oats but will not as that's what made me fat in the past. Further, I do not get illnesses and migraines now that I do not eat those grains so I shall stay off them apart from the occasional birthday/christmas cake, christmas pudding & trifle. These last only at christmas mind.

Bottom line IMHO, eat what doesn't make you unwell in any shape fashion or form. I reckon that's what pre farming our ancestors did.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

Basically no. The people including those do so with the understanding its not actually primal. Those items are in line with another diet called the "Perfect Health Diet"....which is essentially primal plus those two things. Sweet potato, squash and fruit are the heavy carb hitters that are still primal/paleo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast