Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoping for a new life at mid life...from eating disorder😞 page

Loka is offline Senior Member

Hoping for a new life at mid life...from eating disorder😞

Hi, this is my first ever attempt in my life to join a forum or start a journal, so pardon me if I sound a bit too long winded or I've broken any forum rules!

I've decided to start this journal, hoping it will help me get out of my eating disorder! A little background about myself - I'm a 35 year old female residing in South East Asia - where grains are the staple food everywhere 😓. As far as I've ever known, I've been having a yoyo relationship with food since I was 13.....from surviving only on diet coke everyday to gorging cycles. In these recent years, my disorder had been secretly gorging (mindlessly) for hours non-stop and bingeing in the middle of the night. My weakness is sugar, so I can stuff myself with 8 to 10 scoops of ice cream or multiple desserts at one seating.....then I'll feel sick from all the sugar and start on a savory binge....then crave for sugar again....this cycle all in a non-stop 2 hour fashion! After that, I'll feel so disgusted and ashamed and I'll take laxatives at night to make myself feel better!! 😡. I'm so angry at myself - cos I feel like a failure at 35!

I chance upon this site and forum and have been following it for a month...everyone is so encouraging...so I've decided to take this challenge to come out of my closet of secret bingeing & hope to start a primal lifestyle...hoping to get a new lease of life again at mid life....

Any feedback, advice, help would be so greatly appreciated! 😊. And if there is anyone out there from the little island of Singapore, would be great to hear from you too....at least I know I'm not alone from this part of the world!

So let today be the beginning of my primal lifestyle discovery. Fingers crossed that I can keep those sugar & carbs cravings monsters away....

From a little island in S.E.A.

justme is offline Senior Member
    I just wanted to send you strength and encouragement!
    I also struggle with BED and am attempting to get back into recovery through primal eating after allowing life stress to throw me into a sugar void. We can do this!

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Hi Justme, thank you very much for your support! You don't know how glad I am when I saw your reply..that I'm not alone! Pardon me for overreacting cos it's my first time doing this journal thingy!

Yes, we can beat BED together!

justme is offline Senior Member
    No problem
    I am still trying to figure out what works for me, but personally, here is what I would do in your position.
    Stop the laxatives. They are only hurting you.
    Cut out the garbage. Focus on real food. Nourish your body.
    Surround yourself with support. In person or here!

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Hi hi....I've made myself a "primal" scrambled eggs breakfast this morning with the following ingredients...1tsp coconut oil, 2 whole eggs + 1 egg white, onions, garlic & leftover chicken meat (no skin) from last nights fried chicken dinner - a good 300 calories! (Don't know if this is considered primal enough?)

But I felt very bloated after consumption & I got hungry after 2 hours, my stomach started rumbling after about 1 hour!

Where did I go wrong???? I thought this high fat high protein breakfast is supposed to keep me full & satisfied. I used to not eat breakfast or just eat oatmeal (less than 200 calorie breakfast).

Please advise....😫

By the way, here are my stats n lifestyle....dunno if it'll help with any "diagnosis"...

Height: 164cm / 5ft 4
    Weight: 48kg / 106lbs
    Activities: running avg 25km per week / 1 yoga or 1 strength training (60min).
    Medical condition: high cholesterol (330 points) / haven't had my period since May 2012

Thanks

Just had the following for lunch.....stomach is super cramps & bloated but I don't feel satisfied?

- plain grilled salmon fillet (asked for no sauce)
    - steamed cauliflower / carrots / French beans (about a cup in total)
    - fried boneless chicken thigh strips (removed the batter)
    - mustard & Tabasco for seasoning

😣

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hi Loka! The advice I'm going to give you is not what teh general forum would suggest... but it works. I suffered from BED for 13 years. What cured it for me was changing my diet to high fruit, low fat, and allowing myself ot eat sugar when I needed it. By "sugar" I mean pure, white, refined sugar: if I get a sugar craving I have a few spoons in my tea and I dont crave it any more.

HIgh fat did not satiate me either, and eating low carb actually triggered the worst case of BED I've ever had and caused me to gain 20 lbs. I really believe that some people need a lot more carbs than others, and if you are craving sugar there's a chance that your body simply needs the carbs.

Not going to write too much more but I hope this is of some help. THere are many people like me who overcame BED simply by allowing themselves to eat sugar and fruit.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hi Loka! The advice I'm going to give you is not what teh general forum would suggest... but it works. I suffered from BED for 13 years. What cured it for me was changing my diet to high fruit, low fat, and allowing myself ot eat sugar when I needed it. By "sugar" I mean pure, white, refined sugar: if I get a sugar craving I have a few spoons in my tea and I dont crave it any more.

HIgh fat did not satiate me either, and eating low carb actually triggered the worst case of BED I've ever had and caused me to gain 20 lbs. I really believe that some people need a lot more carbs than others, and if you are craving sugar there's a chance that your body simply needs the carbs.

Not going to write too much more but I hope this is of some help. THere are many people like me who overcame BED simply by allowing themselves to eat sugar and fruit.
    OMG! Really?!? Sounds great (to be able to eat sugar & carbs!) 😆😋. Cos I've just had a mad rushed day and just cancelled my gym plans, feeling the need for some comfort food again!

But well I guess what you're trying to tell me is I need to monitor and understand my own body & most importantly my brain, to know what I really need and not force myself to go VLC or high fat?(cos I still can't put a piece of fatty pork belly or chicken skin past my mouth yet &#128534

I will try to make a conscious effort during dinner tonight to listen to my body.....fingers crossed I don't end up bingeing on desserts after!

Cheers!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loka View Post
    I will try to make a conscious effort during dinner tonight to listen to my body.....fingers crossed I don't end up bingeing on desserts after!
    You're welcome!

If you're craving something sweet after your dinner, it's possibly because your blood sugar has dipped after eating, and you need something to bring you back up. I found eliminating starch was a big help in managing my blood sugar (in SE Aisa that might be tough ) If you want sugar after you eat: try sweetened tea, or sorbet. Anything high sugar, low fat. It's the combo of fat and sugar that get people addicted to food, and make them gain weight. Choose one or the other

Good luck!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sigh.....didn't do well today for the night (again!) . I'm always good in the day and find that it's always the night that I cannot control my BED.

I had Korean buckwheat noodle & scallion seafood pancake for dinner. After an hour, my friend and I shared Gelare ice cream on waffle! I had a quarter of the waffle (😱 wheat!) and had coconut milk ice cream & frozen yogurt. It triggered my sweet tooth again and I raided the fridge back home for more comfort food! Logged in at about 180g of carbs today!!! 😱

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast