Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why am I SO CONSTIPATED?? (what dietary changes do I need to make?) page

jenniferbarclay is offline Junior Member

Why am I SO CONSTIPATED?? (what dietary changes do I need to make?)

Shop Now
    For the past few months I have been suffering from severe constipation. I have a bowel movement about once every two days, and they are NEVER IN ONE SOLID PIECE-- it requires lots of straining and they always come out in balls/pieces. I am so uncomfortable and bloated. I've gained weight and my acne is terrible. I can only chalk it up to my diet, so I need to change something. I kept a food diary of what I typically eat for a whole week, can anyone tell me what they think? I've had nutritionists look at my intake before, and they all say the same thing: not enough variety, too many omega 6's, too low calorie, not enough lean protein... But they never tell me WHAT I can do differently. I do plan on introducing lean meats again (I actually just had my first piece of meat in two years this afternoon), but I'm not sure what else I can do. I definitely drink enough water. Can anyone help me out?? I appreciate it so much!

Saturday, October 12th

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 2 frozen bananas, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 packet BarleyLife Xtra, and 1 cup homemade almond milk

Snack: 1 peach + Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar

Lunch: Two slices Ezekiel bread topped with 1/2 avocado, 2 eggs (scrambled in coconut oil), sea salt, and chives + 4 cherry tomatoes

Dinner: A sweet potato + 1/2 cup red lentils with sea salt and ground pepper + steamed kale with olive oil and garlic powder

Sunday, October 13th

Breakfast: 1 apple + oatmeal made with 1/2 cup oats, 1/3 cup pumpkin puree, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and 1 cup homemade almond milk, topped with cooked cranberries and 2 tbsp raw maple almond butter

Snack: 1/4 cup raisins + 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces

Lunch: Homemade sweet potato broccoli soup + 1 hard boiled egg on 1 slice Ezekiel toast

Dinner: 1 cup jasmine rice + 1/2 cup chickpeas + steamed asparagus and 4 cherry tomatoes with sea salt and ground pepper + 1/2 avocado

Monday, October 14th

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 1 frozen banana, 1 packet BarleyLife Xtra and 1 cup homemade almond milk + oatmeal made with 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1 cup water, topped with 2 tbsp almond butter and cinnamon

Snack: 1 peach

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 1/2 avocado, 1 hard boiled egg, sea salt, and ground pepper

Snack: Cashew Cookie Larabar

Dinner: Homemade sweet potato broccoli soup + 1/2 avocado + 1/2 cup red lentils with sea salt, ground pepper, and chives

Tuesday, October 15th

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 1 frozen banana, 1 cup frozen mixed berries, kale, 1/2 avocado, 2 tbsp pea protein powder, 1/2 cup water, and 1 cup homemade almond milk

Snack: 2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter, 1/2 banana, and cinnamon

Dinner: 1 cup jasmine rice + 1/2 cup chickpeas + steamed zucchini with olive oil, sea salt, and ground pepper

Wednesday, October 16th

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 2 frozen bananas, 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter, 1 packet Cocoa Leaf Greens, and 1 cup homemade almond milk

Snack: 4 prunes

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 1/2 avocado, 1/4 cup chickpeas, sea salt, and ground pepper

Snack: Apple Pie Larabar

Dinner: 2 hard boiled eggs topped with sea salt and ground pepper + steamed broccoli tossed with coconut oil + a cold sweet potato

Thursday, October 17th

Breakfast: Oatmeal made with 1/2 cup oat bran, 1/2 banana, 1 cup homemade almond milk, and 1 cup water and topped with other 1/2 banana, cinnamon and 2 tbsp raw maple almond butter

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 1/2 avocado, 1 hard boiled egg, sea salt, and ground pepper

Snack: 1 apple + 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces

Dinner: 1 cup jasmine rice + 1/2 cup red lentils with sea salt, ground pepper, and chives+ steamed zucchini with coconut oil, sea salt, and ground pepper

Friday, October 18th

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 1 frozen banana, 3/4 cup frozen mango, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 2 tbsp pea protein powder, 1/2 cup water and 1 cup homemade almond milk

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter, 1/2 banana, and cinnamon

Dinner: A sweet potato + 1/2 cup chickpeas + 1/2 avocado + steamed broccoli with sea salt and ground pepper

Saturday, October 20th

Breakfast: Oatmeal made with 1/2 cup oats cooked in 1 cup water and topped with 1 sliced banana, 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1 tsp shredded coconut, 1 tsp cacao nibs, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 1/2 avocado + 1 hard boiled egg with sea salt and ground pepper

Snack: 1 apple + 28 pistachios

Dinner: 1 sweet potato + 1/2 cup red lentils with sea salt, ground pepper, and chives + steamed asparagus drizzled with coconut oil and sea salt

More info that may help:

I have been on minocycline for my acne for almost three months (my dermatologist insisted on it, I'm really not thrilled about taking any medication)

I do take a probiotic daily

I've been lactose-intolerant since I was a baby, so no dairy for me

I am fairly active; I'm not a couch potato, but I could definitely get more exercise
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jenniferbarclay; 10-20-2013 at 02:33 PM.

charlii is offline Banned
    The link isn't working but I have some advice anyway. The fact that you mention acne leads me to think your gut flora is in bad condition as the condition of the gut is reflected in the skin . The antibiotics have probably destroyed your gut flora, you should get off them immediately and regrow your gut flora using Kefir and providing your gut with plenty of prebiotic fibre found in onions, leek, artichokes ect or plain oligofructose and inulin powder. Also stay away from gluten and sugar.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    welcome back!!!

Since the link wasn't working I just put the meal plan in the post. I have been taking a probiotic at the same time as my antibiotics (different times of the day so they don't affect each other) but that hasn't seemed to help. I'm so stuck

It doesn't matter that you don't take them at the same time of day. Probiotic capsules are useless, the meagre amount provided by these won't be enough to establish anything. Do they tell you how many CFU's are in them on the bottle? 250ml of milk kefir provides 2.5trillion.

I don't take capsules, it's a dissolvable powder (I take 1/4 tsp in ~1/2 cup water). The brand is DDS Probiotics, and it has 5 billion CFU.

5 billion isn't enough, I found a study that showed a minimum of 100 billion was required. Grow your own kefir much, cheaper and more potent. Make sure you eat enough prebiotic fibre as well.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    On the first line "BarleyLife Xtra" set off alarm bells. Barley is a gluten-containing grain. The rest of your menu seems full of whole foods but also full of gluten. Why? Here's the list of ingredients for Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread:
    Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Raisins, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt, Organic Cinnamon.

Fermented foods like sauerkraut, homemade kefir & yogurt, etc, can help. Constipation could be a side effect of the antibiotic. I'd eat more fats and meat, no grains, lots of bone broths and then I'd probably eat chocolate too, just because I like it. Magnesium can help, too. Hope you feel better soon!

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Bananas & rice can cause constipation. What's your water intake like? (Drinking a heap 1 day won't help but increasing it for a couple should)

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I suffer from IBS-d and use bananas to firm things up when it gets real bad. I have to be careful not to eat too many as they can cause me to go too far the other way. I can get constipated if I eat too much of certain types of fiber, psyllium, bran of any kind and flax meal. I eat lots of naturally fermented vegetables and take a probiotic (VSL-3) recommended by my GI Doc. I notice a difference when I take it versus when I don't.

Magnesium citrate and large doses of vitamin C seem to help some people.

I have noticed that everyone is a little different, so you may need to see what works for you. Nameless Wonder, a member here, has lots a great info in her journal and other posts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast