Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why am I SO CONSTIPATED?? (what dietary changes do I need to make?) page 3

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferbarclay View Post
    For the past few months I have been suffering from severe constipation. I have a bowel movement about once every two days, and they are NEVER IN ONE SOLID PIECE-- it requires lots of straining and they always come out in balls/pieces. I am so uncomfortable and bloated. I've gained weight and my acne is terrible. I can only chalk it up to my diet, so I need to change something. I kept a food diary of what I typically eat for a whole week, can anyone tell me what they think? I've had nutritionists look at my intake before, and they all say the same thing: not enough variety, too many omega 6's, too low calorie, not enough lean protein... But they never tell me WHAT I can do differently. I do plan on introducing lean meats again (I actually just had my first piece of meat in two years this afternoon), but I'm not sure what else I can do. I definitely drink enough water. Can anyone help me out?? I appreciate it so much!

Saturday, October 12th

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 2 frozen bananas, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 packet BarleyLife Xtra, and 1 cup homemade almond milk

Snack: 1 peach + Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar

Lunch: Two slices Ezekiel bread topped with 1/2 avocado, 2 eggs (scrambled in coconut oil), sea salt, and chives + 4 cherry tomatoes

Dinner: A sweet potato + 1/2 cup red lentils with sea salt and ground pepper + steamed kale with olive oil and garlic powder

Sunday, October 13th

Breakfast: 1 apple + oatmeal made with 1/2 cup oats, 1/3 cup pumpkin puree, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and 1 cup homemade almond milk, topped with cooked cranberries and 2 tbsp raw maple almond butter

Snack: 1/4 cup raisins + 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces

Lunch: Homemade sweet potato broccoli soup + 1 hard boiled egg on 1 slice Ezekiel toast

Dinner: 1 cup jasmine rice + 1/2 cup chickpeas + steamed asparagus and 4 cherry tomatoes with sea salt and ground pepper + 1/2 avocado

Monday, October 14th

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 1 frozen banana, 1 packet BarleyLife Xtra and 1 cup homemade almond milk + oatmeal made with 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1 cup water, topped with 2 tbsp almond butter and cinnamon

Snack: 1 peach

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 1/2 avocado, 1 hard boiled egg, sea salt, and ground pepper

Snack: Cashew Cookie Larabar

Dinner: Homemade sweet potato broccoli soup + 1/2 avocado + 1/2 cup red lentils with sea salt, ground pepper, and chives

Tuesday, October 15th

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 1 frozen banana, 1 cup frozen mixed berries, kale, 1/2 avocado, 2 tbsp pea protein powder, 1/2 cup water, and 1 cup homemade almond milk

Snack: 2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter, 1/2 banana, and cinnamon

Dinner: 1 cup jasmine rice + 1/2 cup chickpeas + steamed zucchini with olive oil, sea salt, and ground pepper

Wednesday, October 16th

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 2 frozen bananas, 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter, 1 packet Cocoa Leaf Greens, and 1 cup homemade almond milk

Snack: 4 prunes

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 1/2 avocado, 1/4 cup chickpeas, sea salt, and ground pepper

Snack: Apple Pie Larabar

Dinner: 2 hard boiled eggs topped with sea salt and ground pepper + steamed broccoli tossed with coconut oil + a cold sweet potato

Thursday, October 17th

Breakfast: Oatmeal made with 1/2 cup oat bran, 1/2 banana, 1 cup homemade almond milk, and 1 cup water and topped with other 1/2 banana, cinnamon and 2 tbsp raw maple almond butter

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 1/2 avocado, 1 hard boiled egg, sea salt, and ground pepper

Snack: 1 apple + 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces

Dinner: 1 cup jasmine rice + 1/2 cup red lentils with sea salt, ground pepper, and chives+ steamed zucchini with coconut oil, sea salt, and ground pepper

Friday, October 18th

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 1 frozen banana, 3/4 cup frozen mango, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 2 tbsp pea protein powder, 1/2 cup water and 1 cup homemade almond milk

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter, 1/2 banana, and cinnamon

Dinner: A sweet potato + 1/2 cup chickpeas + 1/2 avocado + steamed broccoli with sea salt and ground pepper

Saturday, October 20th

Breakfast: Oatmeal made with 1/2 cup oats cooked in 1 cup water and topped with 1 sliced banana, 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1 tsp shredded coconut, 1 tsp cacao nibs, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Lunch: Ezekiel bread sandwich with 1/2 avocado + 1 hard boiled egg with sea salt and ground pepper

Snack: 1 apple + 28 pistachios

Dinner: 1 sweet potato + 1/2 cup red lentils with sea salt, ground pepper, and chives + steamed asparagus drizzled with coconut oil and sea salt

More info that may help:

I have been on minocycline for my acne for almost three months (my dermatologist insisted on it, I'm really not thrilled about taking any medication)

I do take a probiotic daily

I've been lactose-intolerant since I was a baby, so no dairy for me

I am fairly active; I'm not a couch potato, but I could definitely get more exercise
    I would follow the general recommendations in my constipation protocol. GERD Treatment Protocol 10-11 - Constipation Relief and SALT! | FixYourGut.com

Basic Constipation Relief Recommendations – Follow for One Month

Walk for at least 30 minutes a Day. Walking helps stimulate bowl movement.4
    Stay Hydrated – Drink Clean Water – Put 1/4 tsp of good quality sea salt or real salt in a glass of water once a day. Drink at least 64 oz of water a day as long as your kidney function is adequate.5
    Use a Squatty Potty when you defecate to retrain your body to squat when you use the toilet.6

Increase Fiber7

Insoluble Fiber – Choose One: Uni-Fiber – One Tablespoon up to 3 times daily. / Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder – Two Tablespoons Daily.
    Food Source Fiber – Choose One: Bananas – Eat two bananas daily. / Avocado – Eat one whole Avocado daily.

Draw More Water Into the Colon

Magnesium Citrate – 600-1,000 mg Daily in Divided Doses With Meals / Recommended Brands: Natural Calm | Other Recommendations: Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Citrate, Now Magnesium Citrate, Source Naturals Magnesium Citrate
    Ester C – 2,000 mg, 2x A Day

If still constipated in 5 days: Gaia Natural Laxative Tea: Follow Recommended Supplement Instructions
    < Magnesium8 and Vitamin C9 are osmotic laxatives, make sure you do drink water so you don’t become dehydrated

The fiber recommendations are a combination of insoluble and soluble fiber to bulk up and soften stools.>
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

abraka8 is offline Member
    I agree on ditching the bananas in your breakfast smoothies. Try adding pumpkin instead or a sweet winter squash. Throwing in a couple of prunes certainly couldn't hurt either. And baking cocoa too. Also, how about more greens? Collards are great right now, and they would be excellent with your eggs in place of the bread at lunch.

lworrilow is offline Junior Member
    I haven't found anything that works for me and I've read a lot and tried a lot of things over the last 4 years. It's gotten so bad that I've been thinking about going back to eating grains to see if I can get some relief. I'm just so tired of dealing with it.

skotcharu is offline Senior Member
    Wifey and I have a few go to foods for this: coconut oil, greens (collared greens, kale and broccoli rabe...alot) and lentil soup. And for me, when we make pad thai with cabbage rice and I add fish sauce its like a dam bursts.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Proper water intake, magnesium, and vitamin C intake should relieve constipation for most people.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

gergirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lworrilow View Post
    I haven't found anything that works for me and I've read a lot and tried a lot of things over the last 4 years. It's gotten so bad that I've been thinking about going back to eating grains to see if I can get some relief. I'm just so tired of dealing with it.
    Well, taking the risk that many people will contradict because of the oats/carbs: If I eat oats, steeped in hot water, about three hours before going to bed, they help me out in the morning...

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    Proper water intake, magnesium, and vitamin C intake should relieve constipation for most people.
    And adding coconut oil to this may also help.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Start eating papaya.

As a side note, I tried eating a whole bag of dried papaya once. Not a good move. It made me go so much so fast, that I was pretty much on the toilet all night. Every time I'd step away, I'd have to go back a few minutes later.

Getting yourself to "go" shouldn't be rocket science. Normally you could just eat a lot of fiber. Every time I needed to go when I was constipated, I just increased my intake of lentils for a day and that worked better than everything. Have some lentil soup.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    I think this and easing back on FODMAPs temporarily helped take mine down from not at all to intermittent and still too firm, but passing.

I'm currently running back through a modified SCD intro (ruminant meats instead of chicken to see if lowering PUFA helps indigestion-just a hypothesis), and I plan on incorporating homemade yogurt and sauerkraut (if it turns out, my first time making it) and eventually potatoes/resistant starch/fermentable stuff.

I'll let you all know if I splode.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123