Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why am I SO CONSTIPATED?? (what dietary changes do I need to make?) page 2

blossomthyme is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This happened to me when I had to take antibiotics for ten days. I was constipated for a year. Finally found out I had an intestinal fungus. My naturopathic MD prescribed Nystatin. It was in powder form and taken in gradually increased doses daily on empty stomach. Could not eat carbs/grains two weeks prior to the treatment. It also comes in suppositories. Cured the constipation. You have an intestinal fungus. It real name is YEAST!!!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Food-wise, I think you need more fat.

Try squatting to eliminate, instead of sitting. Or even just elevating your feet so that your knees are higher than your hips. The change in posture may make everything easier regardless of consistency.

Good luck.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Have a look at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html (the 'Start Here' link). Just about any move you can make towards eating Primal should help. In particular I would suggest...

• removing grains
    • adding coconut (desiccated, flaked, creamed and oil)
    • looking into natural probiotic foods

I don't know much about probiotics when you're lactose-intolerant, but I'm sure someone here does. You could start a new thread to ask about that. Water kefir? Coconut milk kefir or yoghourt? You could even experiment cautiously with dairy kefir - leave it to work long enough, and the lactose should be largely predigested for you.

Also you could research more and better probiotic supplements (especially once you get off the antibiotic), but I'd start with food.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Have a look at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html (the 'Start Here' link). Just about any move you can make towards eating Primal should help. In particular I would suggest...

• removing grains
    • adding coconut (desiccated, flaked, creamed and oil)
    • looking into natural probiotic foods

I don't know much about probiotics when you're lactose-intolerant, but I'm sure someone here does. You could start a new thread to ask about that. Water kefir? Coconut milk kefir or yoghourt? You could even experiment cautiously with dairy kefir - leave it to work long enough, and the lactose should be largely predigested for you.

Also you could research more and better probiotic supplements (especially once you get off the antibiotic), but I'd start with food.
    +1

Less nuts and breads, more fruit and vegetables...
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Try the gutsense.org website.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

cmjg7517 is offline Member
    Drop the bread. Pick up some dried fruit. Make sure you're staying hydrated. If you want, add a tablespoon of chia seeds into your smoothie. Chia seeds were a revelation for me after suffering from chronic constipation for about 2 years.

Good luck!

ETA: Also try working some gelatin into your diet. This has helped my digestion as well.
    5'4/125

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Add magnesium and actually eat primal. Or at least drop all the grains. You are still eating a SAD diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

poing is offline Member
    Acne is a complicated thing, way beyond my grasp of it all, but it seems there are a lot of simple nutritional things that might help. Zinc deficiency and vitamin A (not carotenes, but retinol) often come up, which are things that's it's harder to get on a vegetarian diet. I've been zinc deficient, and it's hard to get levels up, even thought I do eat red meat and always have.

Chris Kresser did a whole series on skin health, and I think that's worth a look and might give you some ideas on what to emphasize in your diet.

Nutrition for Skin Health

Also, perhaps you could get yourself checked out for gluten sensitivity? I wasn't lactose intolerant until I became gluten sensitive... and my main symptom of being glutened is serious constipation. I know you've probably eaten bread all your life without issues, but these things can suddenly develop and changes in gut flora could be the trigger.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Definitely check out the Intro to Primal stuff to start with. Dropping the oatmeal & high-fiber stuff may help a lot. Stick with whole & minimally processed foods. I would even recommend dropping the almond milk. Start with that and see how it goes.

Add in 200 mg of magnesium citrate with every meal, adding a dose until you achieve easy bowel movements at least once a day. Stay at that dose as needed while you troubleshoot your diet.

You can also try buffered Vitamin C powder in the same way, but take it between meals, on an empty stomach. These are only temporary measures, though it's believed that a lot of people are deficient in magnesium anyway and it might be wise to take it as a regular supplement.

Your skin issues will likely resolve when your gut health improves, so work on the gut first!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

blossomthyme is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferbarclay View Post
    For the past few months I have been suffering from severe constipation. I have a bowel movement about once every two days, and they are NEVER IN ONE SOLID PIECE--

I have been on minocycline for my acne for almost three months (my dermatologist insisted on it, I'm really not thrilled about taking any medication)
    It's the antibiotic you are taking that has COMPLETELY destroyed your good flora. Taking a probiotic daily is not going to get rid of the fungus that has grown in your intestines. Antibiotics are notoriously known to get rid of the good bacteria in your colon and to cause fungus growth and CONSTIPATION. The fungus must be treated. Your diet is not causing this.

Nystatin, powder form, followed by Nystatin suppository. Ask you doctor to prescribe it. It requires a prescription and you will be cured. If you're going to keep taking the antibiotic after getting rid of the fungus, you will may have to keep up with the nystatin and drink Pau 'D arco tea to help with preventing yeast along with your probiotic.
    Last edited by blossomthyme; 10-21-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast