Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Evidence that Taubes and Lustig are both wrong!!! page 8

Timthetaco Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by charlii View Post
    we could go on for ever giving the reasons why carbs are beneficial and the brain washed low carbers will get angry and make points that don't stand up against the evidence.
    This thread hasn't attracted any low carbers. You're just ranting into the ether.

charlii is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    This thread hasn't attracted any low carbers. You're just ranting into the ether.
    They'll be reading it they just don't have anything to say that can be discredited.

*can't

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    They stopped reading a long time ago when they were shouted down by the vocal minority.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Interesting - so what is a healthy way for women to fast? So is the problem that many are already eating at a deficit to try and diet (~1200) instead of 1600 cal, so moving to a fast from that point is more taxing? I don't ever expect to lose weight as fast as a man but I also have no expectations or desire to try and get to the same state of leanness that men can get to. I don't think women are meant to look like that - hard to be fertile if you are fasting down to a low BF, one that is significantly lower than your natural state.
    Purposefully chronically fasting isn't exactly a natural thing. I would fast by:

1.) Not eating if I wasn't truly hungry. People at at noon because it's "lunch break." Sometimes you're not hungry by noon, so don't eat just because it's noon.

2.) Skip a meal if there aren't any good choices out there. Some days, you may find yourself on the road and you get hungry. If every option available to you isn't a good one, the best option may be to skip one little meal til a better option is available.

Every once in awhile, I make myself feel hunger. Maybe once every other week I'll go 24 hours with no food. Fasting every day "just because" probably isn't a great idea.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlii View Post

It is now clear as day that the major cause of obesity is food palatability, it stands the test against any evidence available and when you think about it, it's just common sense. Although Omega 6 and to a lesser extent Wheat probably play a role they are secondary to palatibility when it comes to weight gain even though they cause a host of other health problems.

So your take on increased obesity is that food tastes good now and it didn't before. Great.

Don't you think that it is probably a lot more complicated than that?
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    I guess being a potato couch also helps ... Today, the amount of physical activity from the average Joe is not exactly what it used to be ...

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I want to give Taubes some credit where credit is due: He correctly diagnosed the hopeless problems with most nutrition and diet 'science' - poorly designed studies, confounding variables not accounted for, etc.

He obviously went overboard on carbs/insulin as the sole factor. If he had not singled out carbs and insulin and had focused on the interaction of diet and a suite of metabolically important hormones that interact with each other, then we would all have something to like about him

Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    So your take on increased obesity is that food tastes good now and it didn't before. Great.

Don't you think that it is probably a lot more complicated than that?
    It's not about the food just tasting good, it's about it having the right properties that trigger the reward system. I like smoked cheese and I like cakes, the difference is I only eat smoked cheese to appetite..if I'm not hungry I'm not interested in it. However I eat cakes even when I am not hungry and one bite will set off a reaction in my reward system to consume all the cakes in the packet and then go looking for some other junk food. One of the most notable things with people who are susceptible to this is that they get to a point where they stop enjoying the junk food but carry on the binging anyway even though they feel bloated.

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    I want to give Taubes some credit where credit is due: He correctly diagnosed the hopeless problems with most nutrition and diet 'science' - poorly designed studies, confounding variables not accounted for, etc.

He obviously went overboard on carbs/insulin as the sole factor. If he had not singled out carbs and insulin and had focused on the interaction of diet and a suite of metabolically important hormones that interact with each other, then we would all have something to like about him
    He knows he's wrong he's just too far down the road to turn back. If he changes his stance now his book sales and media appearance's will end over night.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast