Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 187

Thread: Evidence that Taubes and Lustig are both wrong!!! page 12

  1. #111
    charlii's Avatar
    charlii is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    105
    Primal Fuel
    Fair point but she started with the insults.

  2. #112
    horchata's Avatar
    horchata is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1
    <Taubes is NOT a VLC champion at all.....he makes a very long, detailed case that most of our notions about fat are incorrect, <especially in regards to cholesterol levels in cardiovascular disease.

    Taubes IS a VLC champion. I have two of his books. In the Appendix of "Why We Get Fat" he has the "No Sugar, No Starch" Diet". page 219. He is clearly anti-carb. It's not just processed carbs. Carbs with fiber are better, but they are still carbs and still cause insulin release.
    I have to disagree with you on Rob Wolf as well. He, too, is a carb hater. If you are labeling carbs as a "controlled substance", I think you are low-carb.

  3. #113
    charlii's Avatar
    charlii is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    105
    Thanks horchata, it so frustrating when people don't see the bigger picture. To be fair to Robb Wolf I'm sure he has now changed his stance and admitted he was wrong to blame carbs and now encourages their consumption.

    Taubes is annoying because he thinks obesity is as simple as insulin puts energy into adipose tissue. It does but that's one piece of a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle.

    Insulin resistance is the result of excess calories being consumed every day, it's the adipose tissues response to being overloaded with energy. It's basically saying no more to the brain by increasing leptin the master fat regulatory hormone that Taubes conveniently ignored. The problem is palatable food triggers the reward system which overrides the homeostatic energy regulation system, low carb causes weight loss be cause palatable food is removed because you can't eat anything with sugar.

  4. #114
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,100
    Quote Originally Posted by charlii View Post
    low carb causes weight loss be cause palatable food is removed because you can't eat anything with sugar.
    so now carbs aren't the enemy, but hyperpalatable foods and sugar? the fact is, you can get fat on anything. stop trying to tell everyone here otherwise. no micro or macro nutrient is the culprit. i'm sure I could gain 10lbs on potatoes and steak in the next 2 weeks. i'm also sure I could lose those 10lbs on nothing but potatoes and steak the following 2 weeks. you're still stuck on blaming the foods and not the person shoving them down their throat. if you can lose weight on twinkies, you can gain weight on steak. now for the love of all things holy, give it a rest
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  5. #115
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,555
    Where you go wrong is you assume that these writers are saying that eating a normal diet of meat, potatoes and vegetables and fruit somehow made us all sick when these writers are saying that a diet of low-fat food products is what got the ball rolling back in the early 80s by replacing too many calories from fat with too many calories from refined carbohydrate which then left us hungry and nutrient deprived. At the same time, food manufacturers discovered their low-fat products had similar properties to light cigarettes, which happen to cause the smoker to smoke more cigarettes. Low-fat snack foods did the same because they were guilt-free and unsatisfying. There has also been a lot of pressure for corporations as time has gone by to sell more and more and hence a myriad of fat-free, sugar-free, high-fat, high-sugar and every permutation of highly-processed, stimulating food that keeps us hungry and buying more. The effect of all this carbohydrate in the absence of fat and protein has been devastating to human health, as has the replacement of lard and butter with soybean oil and hydrogenated vegetable oil. There has been a convergence of many things simultaneously. You should read the series on why are we hungry on the gnolls.org website so that you have a more nuanced understanding of things and stop thinking in such reductionist, all-or-nothing, black and white terms.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

  6. #116
    Scott F's Avatar
    Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    930
    Well I'll say this for these trolling threads....I spend less and less time reading the message board and more time going for a walk or shooting hoops when I need a few minutes break from my desk.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

  7. #117
    charlii's Avatar
    charlii is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    so now carbs aren't the enemy, but hyperpalatable foods and sugar? the fact is, you can get fat on anything. stop trying to tell everyone here otherwise. no micro or macro nutrient is the culprit. i'm sure I could gain 10lbs on potatoes and steak in the next 2 weeks. i'm also sure I could lose those 10lbs on nothing but potatoes and steak the following 2 weeks. you're still stuck on blaming the foods and not the person shoving them down their throat. if you can lose weight on twinkies, you can gain weight on steak. now for the love of all things holy, give it a rest
    Yet another person who doesn't get it. Yu can't get your head around the mechanism. Most people who are obese are miserable and would do anything to lose weight yet most can't because their reward systems are driving them on to consume excess calories in the form of sugar containing processed foods. Peoples brain do not drive them on to overeat potatoes and meat. People like you without the intelligence to understand things when the become slightly complex are dangerous to anybody on here looking for the right advice to get healthy.

  8. #118
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,100
    Quote Originally Posted by charlii View Post
    Yet another person who doesn't get it. Yu can't get your head around the mechanism. Most people who are obese are miserable and would do anything to lose weight yet most can't because their reward systems are driving them on to consume excess calories in the form of sugar containing processed foods. Peoples brain do not drive them on to overeat potatoes and meat. People like you without the intelligence to understand things when the become slightly complex are dangerous to anybody on here looking for the right advice to get healthy.
    funny. you don't know anything about me, what I know, or what I eat. I absolutely do "get it." but what I know about you is that you can consider yourself reported for offensive posts.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  9. #119
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,100
    Quote Originally Posted by charlii View Post
    I just don't think you have the mental capabilities to understand the theory.


    You're a fool.
    keep digging that hole... reported again. you'll be banned soon enough
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  10. #120
    charlii's Avatar
    charlii is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    funny. you don't know anything about me, what I know, or what I eat. I absolutely do "get it." but what I know about you is that you can consider yourself reported for offensive posts.

    You proved my point when you said you can get fat on anything, yes you can but people don't choose to get fat they get fat because of a process beyond their control...they overconsume calories from junk food because of the same system that makes a heroin addict shoot up even though they wish they could stop. Oohhh telling the teachers now, what a mong.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •