Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody explain this? page

DennyB is online now Senior Member

Can somebody explain this?

Primal Fuel
    I generally do good going low carb,
    last night however I blew things with beer after beer and a late night Denny's stop where i housed the remainders of my brothers french toast drenched in syrup. I fully expected to feel lousy today but I don't, I'm loaded with energy and actually almost feel an overwhelming urge to do my fitness trail workout (my most grueling workout) on my usual recovery day. Can anyone explain why I feel so energized, is this maybe a sign i need more carbs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyB View Post
    I generally do good going low carb,
    last night however I blew things with beer after beer and a late night Denny's stop where i housed the remainders of my brothers french toast drenched in syrup. I fully expected to feel lousy today but I don't, I'm loaded with energy and actually almost feel an overwhelming urge to do my fitness trail workout (my most grueling workout) on my usual recovery day. Can anyone explain why I feel so energized, is this maybe a sign i need more carbs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Carb refeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    It is all the sugar rushing through your bloodstream. Enjoy it, then watch out for the insulin crash. Manage that with plenty of good fat, protein, and vegetables, and get right back on track.

There's no reason not to enjoy a higher carb incident, as long as you don't let it suck you into the downward spiral where it isn't enjoyable any more, and you are carbing just to keep the bad feelings at bay.

charlii is offline Banned
    Of course it is a sign you need more carbs!! When I tried low carb (20g a day) I could go 4 or 5 days and then I would feel so weak I would binge out on carbs, the next day I would wake up feeling euphoric. 150-200g seems optimum, but counting them is just a stressor....just ditch the bread and sugar and eat potatoes, fruit and you'll feel much better. Low carb diets causes weight loss because you remove sugar and wheat, add back in potatoes and fruit and you will still lose weight but you'll feel much better.

Timthetaco Guest
    Definitely a sign your body likes carbohydrates. There are usually a lot of posts like this around Christmas when people start binging on cookies and want to know why they don't feel terrible/somehow look leaner the next morning.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Carbs aren't the enemy, esp if you work out. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Amen Turquoise, I feel like crap if my carbs are low but I also feel the same if my fat is too low. It's ridiculous to give percentages because it changes daily but I feel best at about 20% protein, 30% carbs, 50% fat. Which works out at about 200g carbs, with some big carb up days...I do weights 3 times per week and sprinting 2-3 times I think as long as you are doing something along these lines you don't have to worry about carbs at all as long as they are from clean sources.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Going from low glycogen levels and filling them up again can make you overstretch the normal stores and "super-compensate"! No, you will not crash the day after doing this because the sugar is already stored and you use it by demand. Cycling between low carbs and carb re-feeds is not a bad idea, so if you are very active you can try re-feeds every other day or every 72 hours, depending on level of physical activity...

I do low carb days too just to change things up, the brain runs ok on ketones but the muscles can not perform anaerobically without carbs. Once the glucose is in the muscle it can't be taken out again to contribute to blood sugar like the liver, so you can go many days on low carb without feeling the effect because your muscle still have stored glucose...but when those stores are used you're going to feel it and you are a complete idiot if you carry on eating low carb when you feel like crap because it has no metabolic advantages at all unless you are very obese.

DennyB is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks all, I don't intentionally restrict carbs, I just prefer protein and fat a lot more. When I start feeling sluggish ill usually add some white rice or sweet potato which will get me back on track. And my 'cheat' days are usually planned and earned with a good workout or strenuous activity. I guess yesterday and not earning my carbs was the reason I felt that 're feed' rush?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast