Thread: How "primal" does this salmon sound? page

jenniferbarclay is offline Junior Member

How "primal" does this salmon sound?

Shop Now
    Hey guys! :) I'm fairly new to the primal/paleo community. I've been a vegetarian for two years and my body is screaming out at me that I need a change. At first, cutting out meat from my diet made me feel awesome, but since then it's seemed to go downhill. I suffer from severe acne, constipation, depression, and anxiety, and I really feel the need to do something different. My diet relies too heavily on nuts & seeds for protein (my omega 6 ratio is probably through the roof) and I don't get nearly enough variety. My body is telling me that I need to start eating more lean protein, so I'm listening! :)

As you can imagine, it's pretty scary to start eating meat again (there's still that little voice in the back of my head telling me that the vegan/vegetarian diet is far superior), but I'm trying to be brave and do what's best for my body. Of course, I want to get the highest possible quality meat, but that's not always possible. With a tight budget and the closest health food store a good 45 minutes away, I don't really have the luxury of getting my grass-fed, pastured wishes. Since I would like to start out with fish (to ease my body into the idea of eating flesh again), I looked at my grocery store this morning and picked up the best option.

I went with plain old salmon! Something nice and easy to start. However, after looking at the packaging (it's frozen) and worrying about whether it's "natural" and "organic" enough to consume, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Can anyone take a look at the nutrition, ingredients, and what the product claims, and tell me if this is worth consuming or if I should just take it back and wait it out until I can get something better?

Brand: Ocean Eclipse

Product Name: Salmon

Claims made on package: Wild caught, all natural

Nutrition: (per 4 oz) 110 calories, 2 grams of fat (0.5 saturated), 55 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 0 carbs, 0 fiber, 0 sugars, 23 grams protein

Origin: Product caught in Alaska, USA - Product of China - Wild caught

Ingredient List: Pink salmon (that's it)

I appreciate all the help! I can't wait to start living a healthier lifestyle :)

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I would eat it I buy fresh salmon myself but that one sounds fine, the only question I think would be -product of china- I presume it means cheaply prepared there, not the most reliable place for food prep. I don't think.

My daughter was just the same. She went vegetarian for at least a couple of years and she got sicker and sicker, same symptoms as you, acne, depression etc. went back to meat and doing really well now.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Pink/chum salmon is fine. It has a lower fat content than some of the more prized salmon, but it still has plenty of fat. Try to get it caught in the Pacific North West.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    That's what I buy, too. Half a wild fish for 3.00?! Hard to back away from. They can add hexamatewhatever to it without labeling it, though, so I try not to eat it every day.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferbarclay View Post

As you can imagine, it's pretty scary to start eating meat again
    I can't imagine this at all, actually.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    To be fair, I just ate a potato. I'm afraid.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I can't imagine this at all, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I had a mouth full of home fries as I read this. Potatoes cooked with bacon grease were nearly lost to laughter.

jenniferbarclay is offline Junior Member
    Alright, you guys have me convinced! I'm gonna eat it

I plan on having it today at lunch, any tips on what I should eat it with/preparation? The directions on the package say (to bake):

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Placed thawed fillet on a greased baking dish (I'll probably just use parchment paper), brush with melted butter or oil (I will use melted coconut oil) and season to your preference (any seasoning tips??? how much sea salt, ground pepper, etc.). Bake on center rack for approximately 14 min.

Sorry that I have to go into such detail, I'm just so new to all of this that I feel like I'm going to mess something up! Also, what should I eat with the fillet? I was planning on just having some steamed broccoli on the side, because for my first meat meal I want to go easy on my digestion and not overwhelm it with too many things. What do you guys think?

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    I like to use butter, and thin slices of onion and orange on the filet, wrap in foil. I put mine in at 325 for about 15 minutes. Those instructions they gave you will likely overcook the fish. You are better off to undercook it a bit, and then let the residual heat finish it off.