Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: grokhness monstah found!........in bigger news.......he's living primal! page

grokhness monstah found!........in bigger news.......he's living primal!

Shop Now
    Dec 31st 2011.......new years eve.......the smell of frying tarragon butter tenderloin from the mad scientists at the local butcher shop (2 guys who have been there since the dawn of time with frizzy grey hair and blood spattered white lab coats) ((yes....frying....all you grilling bigots out there ....don't knock the butter fry for a great steak.....try it....love it)...........That wasn't the only thing on the menu......a feat of many varieties of potato chips......some ridiculously salty and large hot dogs the brand of which I cannot recall dusted in celery seed and melted cheese.....possibly some home made theatre style popcorn as well but my memory is a little foggy on that detail........there was more.....much much more.......its a tradition......not the hotdogs or the potato chips or the popcorn or the much much more........but the tarragon butter tenderloin (yes....fried.....get off my case would ya!).......that's the traditional dinner of new years eve........it wasn't my tradition.......give me enough time and entries in this primal journal and much will be revealed on the gluttonous traditions on all occasions and non occasions alike of the person who would become the grokhness monstah......it was the tradition of the caveBEE that grokhness monstah was all too pleased to conform to...........it would have been some 10 or so months previous that the grokhness monstah and the caveBEE met......you would not have defined us as obese per se (unless you subscribe to the government rules around what classifies a human as obese using that most inaccurately bizarre measurement known as the BMI) .....caveBEE maybe at or close to her highest weight ever......grokhness monstah....not even close to the highest weight ever of 250 lbs on a 5'9" frame.......but high enough to get worried about finding myself back there if I wasn't careful..........ultimately......we're vain people......we care about our outward appearance as much as anyone else.....maybe more than many.........but there was more.......we felt HORRIBLE!...........we wanted a change.....no...NEEDED a change..........

we had already made the plan.....new years day.....Jan 1st 2012 (yes....new years day...cliché I know.....for the record, we hate cliché's but lets be honest....Jan 1st is a good day to start stuff...fiscally....physically, mentally)......the change shall commence......it was creeping close to midnight ....grotesquely overstuffed on the aforementioned feast........I stared at that last piece of hot dog.......caveBEE always offers me the last bite of the most delicious of things......call it new love still after 10 months but really.....if you knew us...knew the value we place on that last bite....you'd call it true love (maybe I can talk the caveBEE into writing some content for this journal......it really isn't about just the grokhness monstah.......as in all things ....we approach our health together as a team...our cycles are synched....anyway....caveBEE has some very interesting theories on life........."last bite theory" is a really good one....caveBEE is wise)...... where was I .....right.....that last bite of hot dog.........at that exact moment I knew I was done.......done with the fat...done with unhealthy.......even though I was not really fat......I mean - I looked fine in clothes.....maybe tipping the scales at 190 lbs or so....caveBEE seemed enthusiastic with an unclothed grokhness monstah.......but for grokhness monstah and for caveBEE.....it wasn't enough.......the immediate sensation resulting from a gluttonous last supper before we embarked on a journey to take our health seriously....we're no spring chickens....we have children in their 20's.....the time was now......."never too late" is a nice phrase.....its inspirational......it makes those who felt that it is too late and why bother ....maybe.....just maybe its not......... but we knew that it wasn't too late........just in time may be a better description of our timing .....2 years in retrospect tells grokhness monstah that "just in time" might be more accurate...........the journey to a sustainable healthy lifestyle is not without its wrong turns..........

so.......obviously - this journal entry is on MDA.....so we have found our way to "primal".........but we did not get here as a crow flies........I credit the caveBEE........caveBEE is a curious creature............Jan 1st 2012 we embarked on what we look back at now as a tedious venture involving circuits and treadmills (caveBEE did actually at this point introduce grokhness monstah to the most excellent game of squash........I didn't know it at the time, but for anyone sitting there contemplating the Primal Blueprint and unable to come up with a solution to the "sprint every now and then" law.....squash...once or twice a week.........your're welcome.......

along that journey we discovered things like Intermittent fasting (Martin Berkhan's Leangains" website will tell you all you need to know).......we have experimented with various methods of fasting and fasted training and fed training and carb cycling with refeeds and deep caloric restriction and "atkins "style vlc and ketosis ...we've tried with booze....without booze.....

"Paleo" has been sitting there.......kinda standing off to the side...patiently awaiting the curiosity of the caveBEE to pull grokhness monstah along with to investigate.........this led to a most well done documentary done by the most unlikely of people called "fathead".....then Gary Taubes.........and countless countless countless other articles related to lifting, proper lifting form, nutrition for peak performance...........

and herein lies the point of it all.........caveBEE is curious......many others can take credit for that characteristic too.......but caveBEE is also uniquely discriminating with respect to which information makes sense and which does not regardless of said information's support for or conflict with one theory or another that the previous day we might have hailed as the holy grail magic pill or lifelong fitness and well being...........

at this point.......grokhness monstah has been sold on the ideals of the primal diet.........bread enters our lives on only the most special of occasions.....or if we're somewhere that it'd be criminal not to eat the perfect loaf of sourdough that comes with the meal with a side of 3 cheese butter even though grokhness monstah preferred the plain whipped butter that used to come with it (such a great place....ask and ye shall receive) caveBEE and grokhness monstah are mortified when actually paying attention to the ingredients on a carton of table cream (dont' get me wrong....we are label readers.....we spent much of our time leading up till now scrutinizing the labels on just about everything we ate......we planned our daily meals and snacks with a spreadsheet.........but table cream?......c'mon......shouldn't the ingredients just be "cream"?....nope!)

grokhness monstah has found a few sources of grassfed and pastured meats withing a reasonable procurement radius.......we had bison meatloaf last night for dinner with a pastured pork naturally smoked bacon weave on top........we're in......and yes.....it is anything but convenient to source out these items......but I'll be honest......I am enjoying the hunt!:-)

are we 100% primal.....maybe.....the definition of primal is muddy.......if the definition meant following the Primal blueprint laws.......almost......booze still holds a special place in our hearts and glasses.....and evenings......and weekend afternoons....too much?.........but as always...curious caveBEE helps the caveBEE and grokhness monstah team evolve...........our lifestyle at this point is a combination of all that we have learned......we have taken the best of all things that we have come across to formulate our own lifestyle that is sustainable for the remainder of our hopefully long and highly functional lives............live long....and drop dead.........

as for today....well, both of us are what you would call very fit and strong for our demographic.........the torture of caloric restriction.... lifting and cardio did get us to a point ......but it was not sustainable........sustainability is the key..........it was the hunt for this key that led us to MDA..........

oh........and that last delicious melted cheese and celery seed laden hotdog bite.........it went untouched....I remember it fondly.

for context.....here's a couple o' pics.........the first one....a not so lean (aforementioned 250 lb) grokhness monstah at the ripe age of 25......fast forward to a much wiser and leaner 44 yrs old deeply contemplating my next deadlift set

fat monstah.jpg
    lean Monstah.jpg
    Last edited by Grokhness Monstah; 10-19-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Kikiperpie is offline Senior Member
    Firstly, what an entertaining read, really enjoying the 3rd person narrative, and humorous outlook. I assume caveBEE is your SO.

Secondly, HOLY SHIT batman! That's some serious transformation. Respect, kudos and felicitations. I'm female (nearly called myself a girl and then remembered I'm way too old for that) and I'M jealous of those shoulders! Ha ha! Seriously dude ( I'm pulling my serious face now), that's some bad ass work you've done.
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people in the world, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

many thanks for the complimentary post Kikiperpie....there have been many transformations in those 20 years between pictures....the hope is that the only transformations left in this grokhness monstah's life does not involve any more cycles of getting fat and then getting in shape again....the journey can be fun....but seriously....its enough already....just long lasting health and happiness ......oh.....and maybe transitioning away that relatively thin shroud blocking the view to what I know must be a set of abs resembling a rock climbing wall....and yes caveBEE is the better half of the grokhness monstah / caveBEE union..........caveBEE is in the MDA universe and also has excellent shoulders (and arms, and an amazing...... )

DAY 1

lets call it day 1.....it isn't really.......the grokhness monstah / caveBEE lair has been expanding in its primal ideals for a little while now......a few months maybe........but for arguments sake......our recent pilgrimage to the sunny south held many libations that Grok himself would not recognize......for clarity - there was not all out gluttony.......the settling into a healthier lifestyle is at this point much much too engrained to allow that kind of skull duggery to happen.....but lets just say some sugar and grain based material found their way into our metabolism over the course of the week.........grokhness monstah and caveBEE do not deny thyselves the janky purple sangria and pastechies from Iguana Joe's served to us by the same guy every year who wears jeans when everyone else around him wears shorts in that hot hot restaurant on that hot hot delicious island......

also culminating in the perfect storm as if to conspire against any effort to remain devoted wholly to the primal doctrine there was a birthday in there......the grokhness monstah half of the collective assembly of offspring includes 2 spawn.......I have failed to come up with primal nicknames for them yet.....but the brain is churning on that.......the youngest treated the monstah to a delicious banana split.....caveBEE does not agree that what I had was a banana split......caveBEE is a traditionalist in a long list of things that includes the composition of a banana split.......but I assure you it was.........and it had sugar....and surely grains and some sort of unholy cacophony of processed seed oils, preservatives, stabilizers and artificial colourings and flavourings........it was not primal.....but it was magical.......

there was the Canadian version of thanksgiving in there......a caveBEE prepared turkey that roamed the grounds of a farm not far away from the lair.....it lived a happy turkey life....and ate lots judging by its size but assuredly nothing it wasn't designed to eat if I were to believe the mad scientists at the butcher...........and during its travels to its final resting place before its disassembly on the lair's kitchen cutting board....never experienced an ambient temperature any lower than your average refrigerator...........how do I describe the stuffing...........crust disposed......jank white bread......butter....so much butter....definitely fitting within the definition of a Neolithic agent of disease.......but pure pure pure magic........

my point......and maybe the point of primal itself vs a hard core definition of paleo.......a good life full of health and wellness and all wonderful things includes such things at such times......these are not to be avoided.........if its your birthday.....eat a piece of cake........if its thanksgiving.....eat the stuffing........

where was I......right....the grokhness monstah's primal journal day 1

sustenance:
    after a fasted morning....a coconut milk and protein powder mix before workout......

the part about "lifting heavy things from time to time"...........today was a day for such an activity.....squats were on the menu.....it was heavy.....my legs protested and will continue to protest tomorrow in a different way than today...

after the lifting heavy.........5 eggs and some of the most fabulous bacon I've ever had

some 85% dark chocolate

then some more activity which involved some more heavy lifting in the form of transporting a pullout couch to one of the 2 offspring contributed to our Brady Bunch by the caveBEE who we will refer to as grok lobstah...........who we immediately post transport, treated to a dinner at the keg........caveBEE and I shared a prime rib and a baked potato.......with some bacon wrapped scallops and cold shrimp cocktail...............

there was wine.......there is now while I write this.......that's because wine is fabulous...........

oh......and caveBEE left me the last bite of the prime rib........true love ....sigh....

oh.....stats.....what is a journal without some sort of measurement......today's weight.....178 lbs....and I'm still 5'9"

DAY 2!

it was a day of much "moving around at a slow pace".........foraging and housework.........Grokhness Monstah is a fortunate creature to have found a method to receive wealth from the corporation in exchange for talking to people and creating spreadsheets without having to leave the lair........caveBEE moves a lot at work........walking around the large multi building compound ....bending down, lifting things....exposure to hot and cold and snow and rain and sun and fluorescent lighting..........but grokhness monstah could stay inside ...warm....dry.....basking in the energy efficient LED lighting installed everywhere in the lair......sitting at the desk all day if it was so desired...........but we know that would be a violation of the laws....so up n' at 'em...........sometimes moving around slowly or foraging happens at the same time as the corporation is getting the grokhness monstah's attention...........today.....much foraging at various stores was on the docket..........as we know living primal means sometimes the foraging takes one to many places ........I don't know about other locale's of other members here on planet MDA, but there isn't really any one place to find sustenance void of the Neolithic agents of disease that makes up the primal follower's diet.............organic cream from here.....produce from there....meat from this farm or eggs and chicken from that farm (or online.....awaiting my dry ice packaged shipment of grass fed beef from Farmer Jim's ....it arrives on Wed..... very excited)......

lest one conclude that the aforementioned running around is a complaint..........it is not.......I enjoy the hunt........I enjoy that it forces movement.........sometimes very fast movement.......(squeezing treks to a farm and a grocery store and another grocery store and a butcher and.....between a full day schedule of conference calls makes for a rushed monstah)..............

so....today.......packed with said moving around at a slow and sometimes rushed pace.........foraging........oh.....and laundry.....

there was a nap........an intended 15 mins turned into 45.......blackness dreamless bliss............

there was play...caveBEE makes for the best playmate a grokhness monstah could ever ask for..........nuff said.....

there was using of the mind in addition to the sometimes mind numbing spreadsheets....grokhness monstah plays music......and a new song was learned today....the timing of which caused much contemplation even if the chord progression was so simple........one which will be....in time.....presented to caveBEE with pleas of adding that cross between Alanis Morisette, Amanda Marshal and Courtney Love quality vocal to the replaying of the song ....perhaps a duet......but mostly.....the world is a better sounding place when caveBEE is singing...... grokhness monstah has a newfound joy of singing but for better acoustics....prefers to pluck and strum ....and program the new drum machine while caveBEE vocalizes...........

and now its relax time........caveBEE and grokhness monstah sit on the couch typing away and reading away between moments of stimulating conversation and daily debriefing...........the cauliflower is cooked........the grassfed tenderloin sitting on the counter anticipating its impending journey into the frying pan...........the new cabernet sauvignon that the lady at the LCBO said was to die for aerating on the table...........patience my morsels.....patience.....we shall get to you soon enough.....

grassfed beef bratwurst sausages cooked in some garlic olive oil, fresh tomatoes, onions and green peppers with a little cayenne for a good kick........ok....a lot of cayenne....grokhness monstah and caveBEE have a spice addiction.........the aghast expressions on the faces of the staff in the bugaloe bar while the goatcheese salad requested to be delivered without dressing but habanero sauce on the side....it gets delivered......the disappointed looks on our faces in reaction to the small amount of sauce delivered.....more is brought......all of it is poured over the salad as if it were a vinegrette........no need to add insult to injury in adding that caveBEE's Bloody Mary was also riddled with the stuff....... there is no love of heat for the sake of heat........flavour is a basic required ingredient.........but heat is enjoyed and the sustenance is accoutremented with it often.......

there was also some more 85% dark chocolate.........I am contemplating whether or not it is needed as much as it is consumed as of late.........but that subject shall be rested for now.........

still 178........still 5'9".............
    Last edited by Grokhness Monstah; 10-21-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Kikiperpie is offline Senior Member
    Good job on the 5'9". Grok on as they say. Lol

Very entertaining read again GM.

Heard today that GMO stands for God Move Over. Sorry for randomness. Just thought of that when I read GM.
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people in the world, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

DAY 3!

not a very primal day today.....not in the behaviour department anyway........the corporation saw to it to have grokhness monstah join in on some "team meetings" .....a very non primal awakening by alarm clock before the crack o' dawn.....2 hr commute in the AM....followed by a whole lot o' sittin around......picking through the Neolithic disaster of a provided lunch for any morsel of sustenance that would be remotely recognizable to a guy like grok...........some assembly of scraps was accomplished after peeling back the layers of "wrap" that ironically came from a place called "fit for life"........a suggestion to put the initials "cw" into the little circle where the registered trademark "R" sits now may have been met with bewilderment.....so....refrained.......

a 2 hour commute back to the lair.......to be awaited by my ever so delicious for sore eyes caveBEE....we are calling it a night.......the primal end to a not so primal day shall be bacon and eggs and now grokhness monstah is smiling......

no weigh in today........just as well......

edit.......+ a little 85% and a chunk of raw coconut....eaten together ....mmmmmmm....ok...NOW the eatin's over for the day
    Last edited by Grokhness Monstah; 10-22-2013 at 05:41 PM.

DAY 4.............posted a little late on account of a late return to the lair.......

another day summoned by the corporation to attend "meetings" in the Neolithic jungle with Neolithic lunch provisions and workmates definitely possessing CW dietary thinking.......some...beating their fat stored to death by chronic cardio based exercise with results.......but seemingly on the edge of relapse at any moment.....some not seeming to care about their obvious symptoms of metabolic disorder further exacerbated by their sustenance choices (soooooooomuch pasta....sooooooooooooooooo many cookies!) ....please do not read this as a self righteous diatribe against all those around me.........grokhness monstah is flawed and learning.......but ya know.......many of the things already learned can't be unlearned.....I can't help but feel a little disgust....and a lot of relief to have been blessed with mental fortitude to take health seriously - even if later in life........and the curious nature and critical thinking to actually try to learn how...........

anyway.......this shall hopefully be the last time grokhness monstah will be required to leave the corporate corner of the lair to be amongst the people in the flesh for a long while.......electronic presence is much much preferred .....the corporation is not evil in this respect.......there are heavily pushed movements towards those "work / life balance" programs including allowing certain members of the corporate tribe to work from their own lairs..........(notwithstanding the benefits the corporation also receives back....the list is long and financially rewarding...so lets not accuse the corporation of being TOO altruistic )........the grokhness monstah feels very fortunate and appreciative to have found a role that allows this "perk"..........but sometimes......sometimes other tribe members feel it necessary to convene in person...............dragging otherwise content lair workers kicking and screaming into conference rooms at the other end of a long journey in......and at the preceding end of a long frustrating journey out.......

so - hopped into the horseless carriage for the 2 hr trek in.......late....cause it was no longer 2 hours but more like 2.5 hours due to some unfortunate incident that most assuredly ruined someone else's day (or more.....there were ambulances) up ahead ........sat in the corporation's conference rooms all day engaged in most all manner of conversation stemming from casual social through to heated and contentious......

lunch provisions........pasta........3 forms of it.......some sort of oversized pasta shell stuffed with breadcrumb laced mystery meat......a meat lasagna .....and the all hailed and proclaimed to be healthy vegetarian lasagna...........no picking through this mess today......onto the salad.....piled some on the plate sans seed oil based dressings and accompanied it with the earlier foraged almonds (which I found almost impossible to find in the corporation's concourse without an accompanied slurry of soybean oil.....turns out the big brand name product had the best offering in this respect in this "health food" store) and cheese.............some black coffee that is usually enjoyed at home but I have a special name to describe Starbuck's flavour of black coffee - regardless - it was necessary and enjoyed..........and some water coming from what most surely must have been a BPA laced plastic containment vessel.........that also most likely found its way into that vessel by way of a tap attached to a municipal supply.......

2.5 hours more for the trek back to the lair......admittedly - although grokhness monstah did contain the fury for almost the entire day.....that last stretch of the drive.........frustration started to take its toll........it took a while to calm it down...caveBEE has magic that gets dolled out generously to grokhness monstah to help in such things.........calming....rationalizing......bring ing smiles and contentment back into the norm...calming the frustrated ramblings of a day not well spent.......the extended assault of the droning verbose discourse from an elder clan member's companion during a brief visit delaying this mandatory and enjoyed daily debrief between caveBEE and grokhness monstah did not help..... .....grokhness monstah's cortisol no doubt at an all time high.....unscheduled visit finally over.....the caveBEE dispensed the aforementioned magical elixir......whilst preparing and serving mix of grassfed ground beef and pastured ground pork with home made guacamole and fresh jalapeno peppers and a dash of plain greek yogurt (has anyone noticed how lean grassfed beef is?.....colour me surprised) rounded out the dietary play by play of this day 4 of the grokhness monstah primal journal..........oh.......and a fresh raw coconut chunk with some 85% as a finisher........followed by some conversation.....again...... about perhaps cutting that back.....grokhness monstah has goals....a future post will likely detail them.........there may be an impossible mixture of diet and activity in the grokhness monstah's plans to reach those goals........this remains to be seen.......but chocolate....even 85% chocolate every day as this journal is chronicling so far is not a suitable part of the equation.......thankfully there is bacon.....as caveBEE so eloquently includes in the signature after every post here...."bacon is not the problem"......

weight....179 and now 5'8"......noooooo....just kidding.....still 5'9"

day 5 promises to be a day far more in keeping with the 10 laws.......it will be fun.........it will be bereft of sustenance unrecognizable to the primal follower......it will have play......it will have music........it will have much moving around at a slow pace.........primal yelling and screaming and cheering....... social interactions with unfamiliar clan peoples............stay tuned!!!!

DAY 5 - posted even a little later on account of the day spilling into the next day...........just as predicted........full of all things pronounced at the end of the day 4 post.............the concert was incredible!.....and over way too soon..........

poised in the resting zone of the lair towards the end of day day 6 - mattress pad heater turned on because the season has somehow become so prematurely cold .........grokhness monstah HATES the cold........no.......LOATHES IT ENTIRELY!........why stay in a Canadian cave then you may ask?.........soon.....soon the corporations will allow both grokhness monstah and caveBEE to sever the relationship of exchange of precious time for currency.....soon the drawing upon the stipends bestowed by pensions shall fuel the fiscal parts of life.........and grokhness monstah and caveBEE will escape the cold damp life sucking chill of the harsh Canadian fall, winter and spring......taking flight to the best place in the world.....sipping the anti primal jank purple sangria and pinot grigio that is clearly chardonnay but they don't seem to know the difference and we don't seem to care.....chardonnay in Canada tastes horrible......chardonnay in Aruba tastes like golden sunshine........there have been readings of the benefits of cold in relation to the primal lifestyle..........cold showers....swimming in a cold lake..........I get it.......the reasoning seems sound........grokhness monstah shall never benefit from the purported healing benefits of this practice though.......cold shower?.....no......the lair's shower is equipped with a steam generator that, now that the turn of seasons has occurred, is back into regular rotation............a bookmark entry in the laptop's "favourites" list leading the browser to a page advertising a wonderfully luxurious 2 person hot tub that will......that's right, caveBEE,....WILL find its way to the lair's backyard sooner or later..........heat good.....cold bad...........grokhness monstah shall never be primal in this respect......now.....onto the statistics for the day.....

due to the evenings libations......the grokhness monstah's memory is not quite intact but there was definitely bacon n' eggs for dinner to take us through to the end of the evening's festivities......to start the day though a shared crappy dressing free chicken and bacon and cheese salad and horribly long ingredient listed pepperoni stick......it was not planned this way.......but grokhness monstah had not planned well.....it was an improvised move.......pizza and burgers headed off at the pass successfully in the cafeteria we found ourselves in.......so our alternative forms of sustenance shall qualify as "close enough" and not damaging.... .........a mid day snack of leftover ground beef / pork / peppers mixture that seemed to have adopted a magical flavour over the course of the hours spent in the refrigerator ....applied heat releasing the congealing.......fantastic!...........there was some fried goat cheese in there too........some 85% with a coconut chunk..............off to the festivities..........a late night order of naked chicken wings and pork bellies .....fried in poisonous seed oils or some sort of trans fat laden product of a lab experiment gone wrong........but in the state we were in.........I'll call that a decent adaptation to regular societal interaction........

was the day completely primal?......no.......but we were out amongst the people...........one must be adaptable.........

weight.....177........the height joke has now gotten too old to continue to be included......

DAY 6!

a long fasted hungover drive back from the previous evening's festivities.......we'll call this day a day of healing..........lots of layin around......wait.....I did go shopping......and then I took on this big production of a dinner...........but first.....the first meal of the day......eggs......some berries and 85%.......a ton of soda (a little aside about soda........grokhness monstah was the king of cocacola or pepsi or whatever soda pop drinking....it was a large contributor to top pic in the first post of this journal.....through some experimentation....it turns out.....it wasn't the sweet that I craved so much.....but the fizz........in marches club soda..........I drank countless cans of the stuff.........ever evolving to try to find something better led me to that nestle pure life sparkling water.....pretty good stuff.......but lots of screwing around with bottles n such........then the caveBEE found the "Soda Stream".........filtered water from the magical fridge dispenser....pop it in the soda stream.........its perfect!.....what a fantastic product!)..............back to the food... ..then a 100% whey isolate scoop mixed with "Coconut Dream" coconut milk (a product that grokhness monstah shall now officially be abandoning in exchange for straight up coconut milk......hard to find around here not in a can imported from Thailand or without a bunch of sugary crap in it.....I swear the organic section in our grocery stores are really just shelves set aside for more expensive upscale candy...........I've never seen such a dessert buffet masquerading in hemp coloured packaging..........so perhaps reconstituting some coconut cream.....we'll see.....Coconut dream......a decent product in the macro front......tastes great too.......but as per previous posts re: learnings......one just can't unlearn facts about stuff like carrageenan ....for the life of me.....I don't understand........why on this earth do they bother putting that ingredient in there.....you couldn't even see through the tetra pack to view to oh so hideous separated ingredients if they didn't' include it......caveBEE commented on this as I accompanied this rant with a verbal sideshow while writing.....how much Snapple have we all bought in the past......that shit is a separated sediment suspension at best......it still gets bought.....and shaken.....and enjoyed........hey Coconut Dream people.... ....how about just printing "shake well" on the container........I think the general public can handle that.......geesh....the product could also probably do fine without the maybe benign xanthan and guar gums too but one argument at a time)............where was I?.....right!..............food for the day.........the big production of a dinner.....I called it a big production cause it took me so long to make it......but in the end.......it turned out to be a pretty simple meal........some diced pancetta style pastured pork bellies stuffed into jalapeno peppers with goat cheese baked in the oven.......then......we had some wagyu beef burger patties in the freezer.....screaming at me every time I opened it so....unable to stand the noise any longer......time to cook 'em up!.........a nice crust from the ol' flattop (actually a really large frying pan) coated with bacon fat...........some onions and tomatoes......(.just sitting here now thinking about it.......caveBEE's home made tzatziki would have been a perfect add to this.......sigh.....next time)..............can't have a burger without a bun right?........well....you can......but a burger is more like a Salisbury steak if there's no bun......grokhness monstah wanted a burger!.......a wagyu burger!..............so....what do you do when you don't eat bread but still want a bun for your burger?

https://twitter.com/thesuperfoodies/...209280/photo/1

it was soooo good!.........that turnip slice was boiled, then crispened up around the edges through a process I like to call "frying in a pan coated in bacon fat".......a very mild taste......a little greasy from the frying but that kinds heightened the experience .....wagyu is really fatty meat so it was hard to tell where the fat drippage was coming from anyway.......a firm yet yielding burger patty delivery vessel ......definitely something I'd do again........

verrrrrrrry little wine this day........relatively little movement......very little brain activity aside from some reading on how to grow raspberries and strawberries in raised garden beds..........and an early night to bed...........

weight......176 lbs........nice!
    Last edited by Grokhness Monstah; 10-26-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast