Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: grokhness monstah found!........in bigger news.......he's living primal! page 4

Day 21........

This day started out with what could only be called the best everrrrrrrr bacon......thanks farmer dude with your spectacularly attention to making sure your hogs lived a primal life of their own so that their bacon could fit into this grokhness monstah's primal life......

Grokhness monstah to minion with a sigh and a hopeful " no thanks" reply: " would you like the last 2 slices of bacon in the pan?"

Minion's reply accompanied with a grin: "yes please"

Minion already had 3 slices........whats going on?.....minion doesn't usually eat this much for breakfast...... Grokhness monstah typically prepares the weekend Breakfasts for caveBEE and minion......and for grok lobster and hamgroks when they're here( unless hamgroks specifically asks for one of caveBEE's magical creations which she sometimes does.....grokhness monstah cannot compete with magic).....and for the other 2 members of the brady bunch offspring and offspring-in-law, grok-star and groksanne, when they're here, which is less frequent on account o' the provincial divide between lairs........but ya..... Breakfast is usually prepared for all by grokhness monstah not because i am sentenced to servitude by the rest of the clan members.....but because it brings me joy to concoct delicious things for clan members when they're at their hungriest....or most hungover ( an experience not yet enjoyed by minion.......someday though, minion will understand the euphoria one experiences when consuming the most wonderfully medicinal goodness of fatty treats while in the throws of a hangover followed by either a). A nap or b) hair of the dog )......hunger or hangover.....either way, they're very appreciative :-)..........

This day was no different...... Scrambled eggs with cream, bacon, some apple slices and a small bowl of berries for caveBEE...........same, except substitute scrambled eggs for a cheese omlette, for minion.........none of the rest of the brady bunch is here on this saturday AM.......so its grokhness monstah's turn........mmmmmmm bacon..........a cheese omlette and a somewhat larger bowl of berries including the 2 remaining blackberries purloined from minions bowl and some apple chunks for me...........i have already loaded up my plate with what is on the high end of reasonable for bacon consumption...........i have already delivered bonus bacon to caveBEE..........im eyeballing those last 2 slices in the pan............

Back to the aforementioned conversation, i couldnt help but panic a little at the thought of those last 2 slices going to minion who would most certainly not enjoy them as much as i would.......

Rational thought returns......" Cheese n'rice grokhness monstah!.........you don't need all that bacon!"......caveBEE's "last bite" theory ringing in my head........if i may summarize this theory, it goes a little something like this: " there will never be a last bite......the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or whatever number bite will bring no more satisfaction than the previous.......one will not be satisfied with the snack of choice until you've over-eaten to the point of pain.............or.... Put more pointedly.......the meal isn't over until you hate yourself............this theory applies to all manner of food or treats ......you have to decide that you are done........decide what is reasonable........as for many many many people, the idea of eating until satisfied or full does not compute............grokhness monstah is one of these people.........i CAN consume disturbing amounts of food without feeling that "off switch" that is the signal that i am full.....i marvel at what so many people that i have observed, whether they are fit or fat, leave on their plate claiming to be full ....when i'm just gettin started!....

Mostly , i maintain a conscious control and awareness of what is reasonable to put on the plate..........a lot of time leading up to the recording of this primal journal, i had quantities measured and plotted on spreadsheets to track calories and macros.....yes......spreadsheetery for meal preparation too!.........but there are times......times when consciousness of consumption gets thrown out the window..........and it aint over til I'm curled up in the fetal position on the chaise groaning in pain............and yes....i hate myself in this moment.....and the meal is officially over......for now.....

Minion recieves the last 2 slices of bacon.......and appears to enjoy them maybe as much as grokhness monstah would have..........after completion, minion's fully functioning offswitch claims with what i believe to be accuracy that she is officially full.......and thankfully , nowhere near the point of hating oneself ........if i were to give one gift to minion, that would be to never lose the appetite offswitch that has so eluded me for my whole life..........life will be easier.........

About 30 mins after our bacon n' egg extravaganza.......its sprinting time......caveBEE once again had sport with grokhness monstah in the squash court.........we went for the full 40 mins today......

Upon returning home, I downed a serving of the deisel banana powder with water.......

A fairly non primal drive around town in the effort of primal forraging of life sustaining supplies in the afternoon was followed by not a whole lot else.........

Leftover beef n' turnip stew wih some cheese melted into it for dinner........

CaveBEE prepared some fabulously magic home made coconut oil plantain chips while we watched a very stupid but ab exercisingly funny movie..........some cheap dry white and that day is a wrap!

177 today..........but retaining all manner of material in the grokhness monstah carcass as of late.....so, the reading is to be taken with a grain of salt.......
    fats are the new sweets!

caveBEE is offline Junior Member
    Oh so close on my beloved "last bite" theory! Change "never" to always and you pretty much have it. There is ALWAYS a last bite, we all just have to decide where it will fall, and anything going over what is an appropriate amount is just a waste unless you go all the way to the "hate yourself" level. So if I eat one piece of chocolate, I'm good. Three is unnecessary and doesn't fix my urge to eat all the things, so no real benefit, and some extra intake that I didn't need. I'm still left wanting... may as well have stopped at one. The only reason to go on for me would be to eat the chocolate till I didn't want another bite and be done with it (obviously the worse alternative but at least I stopped the craving). For the record, this theory is what makes me stop at a healthy point almost all of the time. Eat your 1, 2, 10 bites of whatever and then know that one more serving, if it doesn't push you over the edge, is only adding a bunch of calories etc. that you don't need, and for me, I'd still want more anyway... so may as well stop at the allotted amount . This thinking may not work for all, and I may not be explaining it as well as I could express it verbally, but if it helps others to shut down the unsatisfying and costly "partial" binge/overindulgence then I'm glad I gave the explanation a shot here.
    Great journaling monstah!
    Bacon is NOT the problem...
    check out our sometimes not so primal side at http://superfoodies.wordpress.com/

DAY 22!

today's post will be done mostly in point form grunting....cause it was a primally kinda day!....and because grokhness monstah is feelin a little "tired" on the morning after whilst composing this post...........

-eggs.....3 of them....fried in butter.....plus raspberries and a chunk of raw cocnut.

- squats n' accessories....followed by stretching and pistol squat practice........twas a good strong day....grunt!

- protein powder with water and an arugula salad with avocado, hardboiled egg, chillies, tomatoes and peppers.......and a little of the primal naan ......thanks to "vdm86" - another forum member for posting the recipe in the "ummmm naan" thread......wow!....good!.......

- chunk of extra dark organic mocha chocolate..(don't tell 85%...we're still on a break)

- making use of the lair's mercola fake sunshine device on the wall of our home gym (you'll see a small part of it in the pic in the first post) to get some vitamin D .....fake sunshine is better than no sunshine........and there ain't no sunshine in these here parts

- extended foraging session......some new shirts, boots, pants, and some vibram's.......I'm gonna wear those things everywhere!.....merry xmas to grokhness monstah!...thanks caveBEE!

-playtime.....grunt!

-lazy cabbage rolls with pastured ground pork and tomatoes prepared with caveBEE magic......

- now for the unprimal part of the program.....cheap dry white from a box.........

-some more lazy cabbage rolls later in the evening.......

- pass out

no weigh in today cause weighing myself every day is silly!
    Last edited by Grokhness Monstah; 11-11-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    fats are the new sweets!

DAY 23!

today.....aside from the requisite time spent on the corporate clock.......was a day of rest......

I did not exercise at all.....no lifting.....no moving.......no nuthin.....

I barely left my chair in the corporate corner of the lair....when I did.......it was to sit down in the lair's eating zone......or TV watching zone.......or to lay down in the sleeping zone.....

the only exercise I did today was exercise my right to not exercise if I don't feel like it......or if previous day's activities make a grokhness monstah...."tired"

it was a food day relatively complimentary to sedentary behaviour though.......lunch was leftover lazy cabbage rolls..... there was rice in there....so not necessarily an approved non training day indulgence, but the quantity was very small.......

a few chunks of raw coconut were consumed during those drudgerous corporation laden hours between lunch and dinner.......

dinner was some grassfed sirloin steak with mushrooms and onions and a butter lettuce salad with goats cheese and balsamic vinegar.........a Chilean carmenere accompanied .. small chunk of organic mocha chocolate followed......

then it hit me......WOW.....like a ton of bricks.....right around 8:30 PM........an insatiable desire to murder a tub of Tollhouse cookie dough n' brownie ice cream that I knew was sitting in the sub lair's fridge......a tub of ice cream of which minion surely believes herself to be the sole owner...........caveBEE talked me down from this ledge.........whew.......a couple of bites of caveBEE's chowder helped with compliance with caveBEE's assertions that maybe I should not succumb to that ice cream craving.......crisis averted!

no weigh in again today..........this time not for any particular political statement against daily weigh ins......I just plain forgot to.
    fats are the new sweets!

DAY 24 in the journaling of the primal portion of this grokhness monstah's life........

its lifting day....bench press.....no records set for grokhness monstah today but an all time record of 275 X3 matched....well.....not "all time".....a young grokhness monstah seemed to have a much better command over the force of gravity on objects than this middle aged version.........is it because of the years of neglect and abuse combined with intermittent moments of fitness at certain milestones along the way?........maybe.......honestly - its really hard to predict what would have happened if I had just always kept up the weight training and body building regimen I had in those early years...........I can recall being able to ramp up to matching past feats of strength within short periods of time after extended periods of sedentary time.......it was in my late 30's that I remember my strength starting to exhibit a downward trend.....

If I were to think back.......it was in this late 30's timeframe when I finally kicked the habit of the yo yo fit / fat cycle.......my organs were probably begging for mercy just wishing I would make up my mind........I can, however, recall much resolve at this point in my life to never seeing the other side of 200 lbs again.......

its been maybe 6 years or so since that fateful first day of resolve.......I can remember the evening well.........it was a dinner at "The Keg.................it was 1 meal in a day consisting of many meals......but it was that meal alone that was labeled "the last supper" .................with the sum total of ~ 7500 calories......give or take 500....(ok.....likely give) ...made up with loaves sourdough bread with butter, iced tea.....so much iced tea, steak, Caesar salad and some sort of dessert that was not remarkable enough to be memorable but I am sure it was delicious.....and it was probably cheesecake.....it was always cheesecake for me in those days.......I looked like the first picture in the first post of this journal but it was probably the 3rd incarnation of that not so svelte figure in the yo yo fat/fit tug of war.......

I started it.....the low fat chronic cardio extravaganza that would be the next 3 or so years of my life...........so many spin classes.......bootcamp classes......weights were a part of what I was doing, but certainly not the focus.........

then came running.........lots of running.........I am not built like a runner, but in spite of all the shin splints and stress fractures ........despite requiring warm baths after running sessions to ease the pain.......I ran.....a lot.......every day for probably 2 years straight......I was Forrest Gump.........lots of time and energy was spent trying to figure out how to run better....watching videos, trying new techniques....new shoes.......in spite of the distances covered, I never really did get very good at it.....it never really ever became something that felt like it was doing me "good"..........but I did it anyway.....

I wrote earlier in this journal about sustainability.......I can honestly say with experience, that you cannot keep up the low fat & high cardio shenanigans......you cannot keep up the suffrage.......the batting back and forth between being disciplined and strict for XX days followed by succumbing to insatiable desires for nutrients that inevitably, for the uneducated as I was, winds up being something fatty and carby.......(enter pizza) ..........it was just like the yo yo fit / fat cycle.......only it was weekly and the string was much shorter.......

I am skimming over a lot......and I am fast forwarding right now through more cycles and events, but in the here and now grokhness monstah style primal lifestyle......health benefits aside..........I am leaner (although not yet anywhere near my lean goals) and stronger and faster and generally much more fit...but I'm doing a LOT less work for it.......and I am suffering little in the food and craving department........

a general theme to be noticed by any readers of this journal is that there is tweaking to be done.......grokhness monstah is healthy......there is no doctor who would argue my status on that account........but I am vain and creative..........my little project of constructing the grokhness monstah carcass into something better than it is today is still a work in progress......but I am glad to have been introduced to the primal laws......they have been useful tools to employ in my quest for that end goal.......

Lunch was a butter lettuce salad with goatcheese and bacon and balsamic vinegar.....a little avocado came along for the ride.....

there were a few chunks of raw coconut .....a piece of caveBEE's banana and a few raspberries to take the edge off right before the bench press and accessories session.

dinner was a sirloin steak with the most amazingly delicious boiled - but finished off fried in bacon fat - sweet potato cubes........a mayonnaise and greek yogurt mix to dip the potatoes in........WOWWWWWWWW......the steak was cooked yesterday, so it was reheated in that same bacon fat........it put a really nice crust on the outside......positively fabulous!

accompanying this masterpiece was a "luscious red" wine called Honey Badger......and then a piece of dark organic chocolate to finish off...........

conspicuously absent from the remaining part of the evening were cravings of any sort for anything at all.................

today......stable at 177 lbs.......

caveBEE hit an all time bench press record today......I am a proud grokhness monstah........maybe I'll climb back up to the strength measurements of my younger self....maybe I won't........but I think I'm doin pretty well.......still lots of time.....still lots of distance to go.....
    fats are the new sweets!

DAY 25!

it was a rest day again.........the corporation presented way too much to allow a grokhness monstah to roam around too much.........unless you call cleaning the kitchen roaming around.......oh.....and doing laundry......and running around in cars for oil changes n' snow tire installs n' such......

the primal highlight of this day is brought to you by the T-Fal Actifry...........we have been using it lately for things like plantain or cassava chips ...but this time caveBEE tossed some chicken wings into it..........coconut oil was the frying agent of choice.......you really do just put a relatively small amount of oil into this thing....close up the lid....and walk away............it did what I can only describe as a spectacular job in making crispy delicious chicken wings........with an added sprinkle of garlic and red pepper spice and some RedHot with butter for dipping...........this was positively fantastic!.......The "less oil" aspect of it is a pleasing feature, not because the food comes in contact with and absorbs less oil, but more because coconut oil is expensive .........hey T-Fal........good job on the Actifry!

earlier in the day for lunch there was some mild Italian sausage cooked in some tomato and pepper with leftover cabbage ...........

the as yet unfried leftover sweet potato remain a haunting presence in the fridge.....I see it as I open the fridge door....perched on its shelf ....I know they can see the bacon fat reserve in the shelf above......I know that they know that I know that they will soon find themselves basking in a heated liquefied version of that bacon fat reserve in a frying pan soon.......soon!.....but not on this day......

85% made a comeback into the lair today.........I managed to have only a couple of squares without the raging desire to massacre the entire stockpile in the snackdrawer..........as long as 85% continues to behave itself like that......it will be allowed to continue brief encounters with the grokhness monstah...

the day was finished off with a relatively unprimal but at least breadless subway salad whilst in the regularly scheduled - out of the lair - minion time..........

no weigh in today............
    fats are the new sweets!

DAY 26!

let me just start off to say that today was an awesome lifting day!............grokhness monstah set an all time (with the exception of younger days as already caveated in previous posts) record for deadlifts...........

I have a strength goal for deadlift...........to be able to perform a 1RM of 405 lbs..........that intimidating look of 4 X 45 lb plates per side of the bar.........it is my deadlift holy grail to see that configuration............some of you young (or older) wipperschnappers around here might see this as a feat long ago progressed passed in your own strength goals, ......when we were at the institution gym, there were youngsters there tossing this amount around like it was dust..........but for grokhness monstah.......this will be the pinnacle.............

no.....I did not reach this height on this day......however......I did step 10 lbs closer to it than my previous 1RM though!......I am now at 375 lbs on the deadlift.........I did 1 rep........in retrospect I think I could have done 2........deadlift is a strange exercise.....sometimes the second rep is easier than the 1st........there seems to be an inertia present on the first rep ....it takes a little extra to break the weight from the floor as if it were magnetically fastened to it............I don't rep fast enough to take advantage of any bounce between the first and second rep, so I'll chalk it up to a property of physics that for now will be relegated to the shelf for future study...............in the end.......grokhness monstah thought it best to take this gift of a feel good, injury free 1RM lift of adult grokhness monstah epic proportions.............

even weighted pullups were great on this day in spite of the extra lbs on my frame right now.........this probably partially has to do with the subsiding of the left arm joint/tendon pain as well.........but strength seems to have infiltrated the muscles performing this movement too..........

I should have filmed caveBEE's deadlifting performance today......throwing around 185 lbs barbell like it was a toothpick with a marshmallow on each end......I lost count of the reps .......grokhness is a proud monstah!............

I ate a lot today ............it wasn't planned.....it just happened.........but a grokhness monstah is really no worse for wear because of it..........this is another observed beautiful thing about primal eating......the massive weight fluctuations from one day to the next (sometimes as much as 5 - 8 lbs) depending on the macro nutrient composition of a particular day, is a thing of the past........there is definitely much more leeway from a micro measurement standpoint........as far as a macro measurement goes......well....I'm quite certain that like any other eating style , excess over a prolonged period will certainly result in unlean body mass accumulation.....a strict primal eating diet possesses no such magical properties so as to make a grokhness monstah immune to fat gain.......wouldn't that just be a coup though..........if it were true, I'd get right on bottling and selling it!

the first meal today was a melange of stuffed peppers.......I mixed up a bunch of grassfed ground beef with onions, avocado, tomatoes, parmesan cheese and a few spices.......I then proceeded to stuff a pile of jalapenos, bell peppers, and cubanelle peppers with the mixture..............I topped them off with some cheese and baked them n the oven..........caveBEE and I massacred the plate of peppers until only 1 of the bell peppers was left.........

I had some 85 % right after that.............and then some more.......ok....for today, I'll allow it...........

I had a few strawberries before the deadlift session began, and downed a serving of Diesel Banana protein powder with water right after the session.........

dinner was a butter lettuce salad with a half of the leftover bell pepper and whatever leftover meat stuffing that didn't make it into the peppers...........

caveBEE made some plantain chips in the actifry which were fabulous!!!!.................and then finished the eve off with a banana......

today I was 178 lbs and holding........
    fats are the new sweets!

caveBEE is offline Junior Member
    It was a great lifting day! And in case anyone doubts your culinary skills or veracity, may I present this pic (which will take approval time here, but here is a link to it: http://i.imgur.com/2f0Zofh.jpg ) Can you guess which jalapenos were hotter than the others? Neither could we! Capsaicin roulette!
    peppermania.jpg
    Last edited by caveBEE; 11-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Bacon is NOT the problem...
    check out our sometimes not so primal side at http://superfoodies.wordpress.com/

DAY 27, 28 & 29

I am combining 3 days into one for this entry...........it was....shall I say......a hedonistic weekend that strayed WAY outside the primal doctrine in some ways (read: food) and very much primal in others...........

lets start with the compliance side of the weekend's activity shall we?.......

there was lifting......squats.........it was another fabulous lifting day.........I did not set any records with weight load or with reps, but there was an interesting element to this squat day's efforts......

Squats give the grokhness monstah anxiety...........the lair's gym has safety measures, so if there was an "incident", if you will....a moment of failure to execute a rep........or a sudden loss of consciousness mid rep.....there is a strong and competent spotter named caveBEE standing right behind me......and there are safety bars on the rack...........but awareness of these measures do not necessarily reduce the anxiety ...........

A young, teenage grokhness monstah used to spend much time in an old dungeon of a gym with a clique of older .....I'd even say "veteran" competitive power lifters.............every Sunday afternoon was spent taking turns in the squat rack ......a healthy .....and sometimes not so healthy competitive nature with ourselves more than with each other(some of these guys were a little bit careless and void of any awareness of their own boundaries....trying feats of strength potentially well beyond their means.....sometimes successful.....many times not) .........as such a younger, inexperienced participant, with strength capabilities well below the levels some of these other guys were performing at (some of these guys were squatting and bench pressing well over 500 lbs for reps with ease) , I might have been an annoyance to them.......but, aside from some expected "messing with me" stuff akin to hazing, ....these rough looking guys who used aliases for names to avoid attention from the law and who lived rough lives on a side of the tracks opposite to which I lived, treated me with respect and gave me much education and encouragement in my quests for strength.....

Given these sessions were geared towards nothing other than bettering our 1RM..........after warm up sets, we would spend time performing what seemed to be endless numbers of 1RM sets........adding small amounts of weight to each successive attempt.....if an attempt was missed.....it was retried with perhaps a more exuberant mental attitude than the last......with much more grunting......one guy in particular (he wasn't right in the head.......but he was never anything but nice to me) used to cry mid set.......it was awkward....but hey....whatever works for you..........We used to wear those huge leather weight belts and wrap our knees with tensor bandages................tensor bandages around the knees were there to presumably help keep our thighs attached to our shins if something went wrong with the biological attachments that are already in place..........but a brilliant side effect of them was an incredible spring action when sunk in the hole with much more weight on your shoulders than the homo-sapien manufacturer guidelines suggests......these wraps.........and even sometimes a good tight pair of trackpants could provide that added tension to make the difference between confidence or lack thereof of getting back out of that hole once you've committed to sinking into it........

it is that very "confidence" that I speak of that determines the depth one sinks to while performing this exercise. During my time in gyms, I have seen knee wrappless, unbelted guys in shorts quietly step under 450 lbs or more with boundless confidence....sinking their ass to the floor....bouncing hamstrings off their calves.....rep after rep - executing successful lifts with confidence....... .......conversely, I've seen guys show up all decked out with the finest of weightlifting attire ......full body tension suits and belts and wraps ...barefooted with weightlifting chalk on their hands and feet.....a spotter on each end of the bar and another standing behind.........screaming and grunting things like "C'mon Bro!....you got this!" .......with weight loads far less impressive than the aforementioned 450 lbs.......lifting the bar off the rack.....stepping back while grunting....barely able to support the weight just standing there............a slight break of the knees.....a few inches of depth........then proceed to yell with a celebratory tone at the feat they have just accomplished...............(there's another category of squatters .....those who put too much weight on the bar and then proceed to try to execute their set while standing on a bosu ball.....but that's another thread)

Fastforward to today........squats are performed in the lair gym with the caveBEE.....although it is a much friendlier environment, that friendliness does not contribute to any increase in squat confidence.............it has really been an attentiveness to practicing the movement with weight that is challenging enough to enjoy the positive effects, but not so challenging that it cannot be executed safely and within a full range of motion with a reasonable amount of reps..........it has been a slow climb ....age.....shorts.....no wraps.....re-learning technique .......a slow climb indeed in getting to the point where I feel that confidence with the weightload of my topset on my shoulders....where my descent becomes less and less tentative .........this particular day was a milestone with my relatively modest 275 lb topset ........there was a confidence there that made me add that 5th rep in there and feel like perhaps for the next session, It might be time to add a few more lbs.......this felt very good indeed.

as for the rest of this weekend.....the non primal side.........as previously mentioned.......hedonistic is the only way to describe it.......it was not primal.....quite the opposite .......there is no need to detail the heinous offences against primal eating rules committed during this weekend....and there's no need to stand on the scale just to hear an artificially elevated number screaming back at me.........there was surely water retention......some fat gain too of course.....a few resultant headaches not necessarily brought on by food choices....and likely some resetting of some hormone levels.............

Interestingly enough.........this behavior has further solidified my belief that primal attributes are and shall continue to be a part of the grokhness monstah lifestyle........in one of my past lives, a weekend like this may have sent me on a spiral of continued hedonistic days, weeks and months full of inhumane amounts of pizza and potato chips........But, I can honestly say at this point in my life......I have a hyper awareness of what good feels like and an appreciation of the value of keeping myself in the feelin good zone

oh.......and hey 85%........don't take it personally, but I never want to see you again!
    fats are the new sweets!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    DAY 30!

well....here it is....the last entry in my Primal chronicle..............It was a day spent doing practically nothing......another day of healing if you will..........the sustenance menu consisted of some bison meatloaf and backbacon dipped in mustard..........and water.......well....soda water from the awesome Soda Stream that lets us have soda water anytime we want with our filtered municipally supplied water source that magically appears out of the little cubby hole on the front of the fridge..........I hate water......I like fizz..........I used to drink a TON of pop......diet....non diet......as it turns out, it wasn't really the sweetness of this beverage choice that I loved so much.......well....I did.....but when its absent for long enough it is no longer a factor really.......its the fizz.......the fizz is the key.........anyway.......as interesting as soda water is, it is not not my focus for todays post.......

what to write about in a last post when it is intended to chronicle a day where nothing really happened?.............I suppose a summary of a larger period of time might be appropriate..................

here's what the grokhness monstah has learned about healthy living in general in these last 30 days....but mostly in the years leading up........including but not limited to.......in no particular order....

-chronic cardio hurts and I hate it and I am so pleased to have found out that it is unnecessary
    -lifting heavy weights can be a fun and interesting hobby if you look at it as a project or a creative outlet
    -extreme calorie restriction makes me achy and weak.......making the heavy things more difficult to lift
    -extreme calorie restriction never amounted to any more than a few temporary lbs of weight loss
    -extreme calorie restriction is not sustainable
    -weight training really does need to be limited to 3 times per week....performance, sustainability and enjoyment will appreciate it
    -I hate spin classes..
    -I hate bootcamp classes
    -I hate yoga....although I understand the importance of flexibility.....and I'm workin on it
    -Intermittent Fasting is a useful tool to help with metabolic flexibility (hormonal resets etc etc)
    -Intermittent Fasting on its own does not magically make a middle aged man ripped
    -carb cycling isn't a magic fat loss pill either.......but can contribute to metabolic flexibility
    -fasted training, although interesting to try as an experiment did indeed prove to not effect performance negatively....but provided marginal advantage in the quest for leanness
    -Paleo, Primal, caveman, (insert name here) diets are not magic weight loss pills
    -Grok, in the PB book scenario when he had to relinquish those rabbits to the bear coming home empty handed probably in reality would have exhibited something a little more akin to frustration and anger than Mark S's documented "oh well" shoulder shrug.
    -Primal is an interesting lifestyle prescription that, if incorporated into your own way of healthy living in ways that work for you, can very much contribute to overall health in measurable and meaningful ways...........
    -Primal living does not automatically = "effortless weight loss" as the PB book proclaims repeatedly
    -vilifying food categories (fats, carbs or proteins) is silly...
    -"low fat" can really taste like shit sometimes
    -grocery store chicken has noticeably less desirable qualities when compared to better quality sources
    -grocery store beef can still taste pretty frikkin good.....but I appreciate the value of avoiding the hormones and chemicals
    -It is unlikely that I will ever again "go on a diet"
    -cleanses are silly and counterproductive
    -if you're contemplating weight lifting......don't waste your time with it unless you are going to properly feed your recovery
    -there are no magic "effortless" weight loss spells or pills that can claim any manner of sustainability
    -Neolithic agents of disease (wheat, seed oils etc etc) are everywhere.....it may be healthily to exclude them as a rule from your diet.......but acute consumption of a perogie or a doughnut or a piece of cake from time to time is an enjoyable and healthy thing to do....for those of us who chose to live on the grid at least.
    -lifting heavy weights does not automatically equate big muscles.....for Women......and up to a point for men too......so worrying about "bulky muscles" is silly
    -butter is far superior to "Pam"
    -even if it says extra virgin olive oil on the bottle.....its probably contaminated with seed oils
    -I live in a cold climate......some of my food for parts of the year will have to arrive by plane or boat and I'm ok with that.
    -bacon really IS magical!
    -avocado is an excellent condiment
    -preparing healthy meals on a consistent basis is not difficult....it only takes a little more attention to prep and detail than i.e. hamburger helper or KD (2 Neolithic agents of disease that I absolutely adore)
    -I am sad that peanuts have toxins and mold
    -Canada's dairy industry is ruled by a government agency akin to the mafia that prevents access to things like grass fed butter or cream...I guess we'll have to settle for organic.
    -I am just now starting to understand how antibiotics and hormones fed to animals can directly affect my health
    -strength gains are directly proportional to ways of eating which promotes increase in body weight

after all of these learnings........and a strong shift of my life goals from "losing weight" to instead being healthy and fit and functional into my later years.....but - I am still a vain grokhness monstah and as such will likely never abandon my pursuit of being leaner and more muscular........wish me luck!

over and out!
    Last edited by Grokhness Monstah; 11-20-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    fats are the new sweets!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234