Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any ladies successfully get rid of thigh fat? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Any ladies successfully get rid of thigh fat?

Primal Fuel
    Hola chicas,

I've been lifting for a few months now, and I'm very happy with the buns progress. I'm currently doing DL, squats, clean and jerk, and lunges (BEST for ass!) but not seeing much improvement to the dreaded back-of-thighs fat.

Has anyone figured out a series of exercises that helps that area? (and yeah, I know, I know "you can't spot reduce fat" )
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Ultimately its going to come down to losing body fat. You lose weight from different areas of your body based on gender and genetics. For women, the last places it usually comes off is the thighs and hips. I tend to lean out more in my upper body and back, then legs and then my mid section. When I gain - the first place it goes is my mid section and legs (reverse order to how I lose it).

Adding to that, if you don't have enough muscle to "fill out" your legs, no matter how much fat you lose - your thighs will be giggly and appear fat even though you are sitting at a low body fat percentage.

What are your stats now? Are you working on gaining muscle or are you cutting? You can't build and lose fat at the same time unless your eating maintenance calories in efforts to do a recomposition - which is a slow process.

sra1984 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hola chicas,

I've been lifting for a few months now, and I'm very happy with the buns progress. I'm currently doing DL, squats, clean and jerk, and lunges (BEST for ass!) but not seeing much improvement to the dreaded back-of-thighs fat.

Has anyone figured out a series of exercises that helps that area? (and yeah, I know, I know "you can't spot reduce fat" )
    I have only been on Paleo for three weeks now, but I have been working out for a while, and for me the best exercise I can do for my legs in general- thighs definitely included is bike up hills, at varying speeds. I lost three inches around my thighs over the summer just doing that, with no real diet changes at all. I think it has to do with the muscle building. I wonder if squats done with your feet pointed at different angles would help with that too, but for me it's been the biking and making sure it's up an incline. Good luck!
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Leather Couch View Post
    What are your stats now? Are you working on gaining muscle or are you cutting? You can't build and lose fat at the same time unless your eating maintenance calories in efforts to do a recomposition - which is a slow process.
    My stats? 18 months on MDA and zero shame left..

I dont know what bf% I am - I'm guessing 20-22%? I'm 5'8, approx 137lbs. And yeah - most of me is slimming up well, but the thighs and hips are pretty stationary...

I'm actually doing the slow recomp - eating at maintenance and working out. Actively bulking or cutting is too painful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sra1984 View Post
    I have only been on Paleo for three weeks now, but I have been working out for a while, and for me the best exercise I can do for my legs in general- thighs definitely included is bike up hills, at varying speeds. I lost three inches around my thighs over the summer just doing that, with no real diet changes at all. I think it has to do with the muscle building. I wonder if squats done with your feet pointed at different angles would help with that too, but for me it's been the biking and making sure it's up an incline. Good luck!
    My bike just got stolen ;-(

That's a good tip about the squats though: I noticed that changing the position of my knees while I lunged really helped with my ass toning!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 10-19-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Looking good lady!! Seriously. Keep at it! If you're recomping, it is going to be a long slow process - so don't get discouraged!! It is entirely possible. It's only been a few months, so just keep chugging along.

Are you following a weightlifting program? A program like New Rules of Lifting would lay out all the exercises you need to hit all the muscles and takes all the guess work out of it for you.
    If you are working off of your own program -- aside from the exercises you mentioned (which are pretty much the best because they are compounds) - I love straight legged deadlifts, really focus on loading up those hamstrings and then contracting your glutes to fire back up. Hamstring curls with furniture sliders (or on a machine) are a great exercise as well to really focus on back of the thighs. Barbell hip thrusters and good mornings are good too (though they are more glute focused - they still work the hams).

Focus on lifting enough to hit 8 reps - if you can do more reps than that - up the weight -- really challenge yourself. Legs are the biggest and strongest muscles in your body -- they can take more weight than you think.

Hamstrings are one of my favorite muscle groups in the legs - I love a nice hammie bump! They take a while to build though -- and even when they grow, you are still going to need to reduce body fat in order to get rid of the extra fat that sits over the top of the muscle (which goes back to body fat percentage).

Keep doing what you're doing and in six-nine months, you're going to notice a big different -- without having to reduce body fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Leather Couch View Post
    Looking good lady!! Seriously. Keep at it! If you're recomping, it is going to be a long slow process - so don't get discouraged!! It is entirely possible. It's only been a few months, so just keep chugging along.

Are you following a weightlifting program? A program like New Rules of Lifting would lay out all the exercises you need to hit all the muscles and takes all the guess work out of it for you.
    If you are working off of your own program -- aside from the exercises you mentioned (which are pretty much the best because they are compounds) - I love straight legged deadlifts, really focus on loading up those hamstrings and then contracting your glutes to fire back up. Hamstring curls with furniture sliders (or on a machine) are a great exercise as well to really focus on back of the thighs. Barbell hip thrusters and good mornings are good too (though they are more glute focused - they still work the hams).

Focus on lifting enough to hit 8 reps - if you can do more reps than that - up the weight -- really challenge yourself. Legs are the biggest and strongest muscles in your body -- they can take more weight than you think.

Hamstrings are one of my favorite muscle groups in the legs - I love a nice hammie bump! They take a while to build though -- and even when they grow, you are still going to need to reduce body fat in order to get rid of the extra fat that sits over the top of the muscle (which goes back to body fat percentage).

Keep doing what you're doing and in six-nine months, you're going to notice a big different -- without having to reduce body fat.
    Thank you so much!!! I've been trying...

Yeah, I havent had significant muscle since I was about 19, and I put my body through the wars in my twenties, so I figured that a recomp would take a while.

I'm lifting twice a week, working off my own programme: three sets of each of those exercises; 10-15 reps (except for lunges - I do twenty). I try to add weight or reps each time I lift. I'll bump up the weight for DL and clean+jerk but lifting heavier for squats or lunges will be tricky as we dont have a rack in the gym and I have no one to spot me...

I'll try the straight leg DLs. When I DL I usually feel nothing in my gluteus: it's all in the core. Maybe the straight leg will work better.

Barbell hip thrust looks intense! How heavy do you lift with that, compared to your DL?

I used the leg press machine for a few months but didnt notice much difference, and then a PT told me those machines were a waste of time so I stopped.

Thanks for the book recom: downloading it now

- Ray Peat

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i dont have much fat on the backs of my thighs. i do single leg hammy curls. lots of lunges with heavy weights. as in almost my body weight heavy. i also do weighted good mornings. if you keep your legs straight when you do them, you feel it more in the hammies. leg press, you need to go down real low. i take the pins out to get the depth. and i do single leg leg press. i did go to a gym which had this wierd as leg press machine which you pushed up out of vs had it come down on you. i can see that doing not much.

johnshade is offline Member
    Yogabare,

Congrats on your transformation. Based on your picture its more a matter of building muscle for you. You will actually look trimmer at a heavier BW. I would suggest you follow a more serious resistance training protocol. Dont wing it on your own. Check out bret contreras and Kellie davis' book strong curves or even better, get a knowledgable trainer.

You should be doing very little cardio at this point and much more lifting

Quote Originally Posted by johnshade View Post
    Yogabare,

Congrats on your transformation. Based on your picture its more a matter of building muscle for you. You will actually look trimmer at a heavier BW. I would suggest you follow a more serious resistance training protocol. Dont wing it on your own. Check out bret contreras and Kellie davis' book strong curves or even better, get a knowledgable trainer.
    This is what I recommended, lifting heavier to build. But she's doing a recomposition so adding muscle is going to take longer compared to a bulk.
    A lot of women enjoy doing cardio - so unless she wants to drop it, its really not doing her any harm so long as she's eating back those calories and truly eating at maintenance to support the recomp (oh! and doing it AFTER weight training).
    OP also said she was looking into the New Rules book - which has a program in there for her to follow if she chooses.

Yoga - you'll love straight legged deads, I totally feel the burn in the hams - just make sure to feel the tension (load up) your hamstrings on the way down. You shouldn't feel it in your lower back. Then contract your glutes to come back up.

For the barbell thrusters (again one of my favorites) you can load these up pretty heavy. Women have a lot of load-bearing ability in their hips so you shouldn't have a problem going heavy for these. I've done over 300# -- but haven't done them in a while. . . but at the time it was more than I could deadlift. You should easily be able to thrust more than you can deadlift because the movement takes the back and upper body out of the equation. (if you need to, use a towel or pad between your hips and the barbell - it can hurt once you get up to heavier weights).

Also, overall - consider dropping your rep range. If you can do 12-15 reps of any exercise, its not heavy enough.
    Three sets of 6-10 reps at a heavy weight is good to shoot for. It'll make a big difference.

For squats/lunges - do you have access to kettlebells? Holding two heavy bells to the side (for lunges) would be just as effective as a barbell - but safer since you mentioned you don't have a rack. Holding one heavy kettlebell for squats (goblet squat) would also be effective.

Leg press is secondary to squats (and any leg exercise you can do with a barbell) - I only use it once every couple weeks to exhaust my quads. There are many other, better exercises for legs. I consider front squats to be a better quad developer than the leg press.

Oh! And good luck on your journey
    Please keep us updated on your progress!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast