Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjusting diet for musle gain page 2

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by mageta View Post
    Great replies, guys, I appreciate the feedback.

To clarify on why I eat half a chicken breast for lunch, it basically comes down to cost. I'm really struggling with a budget right now and it shows in my diet. Vegetables are cheaper than meat, and the meat that I get tends to get stretched out to make it last longer. I'm doing around 260 a month on groceries and I'm trying to cut that down to sub 240 or even less. Eating clean definitely has a financial learning curve.
    Definitely second the crockpot idea, even the cheapest,toughest of joints fall apart after 8-10 hrs.

Eggs can often be found on sale or if you have some farms nearby they are often at a great price.

Quinoa is a good cheap source of protein if you permit it in your diet.

Going to the store in an evening close to closing is a good way to catch meat products that are marked down in price, I often pick up good steaks doing this.

Tinned sardines are another cheap healthy protein source.

And obviously milk !

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    And obviously milk !
    Yep, plenty of milk...

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Great replies, guys, I appreciate the feedback.

To clarify on why I eat half a chicken breast for lunch, it basically comes down to cost. I'm really struggling with a budget right now and it shows in my diet. Vegetables are cheaper than meat, and the meat that I get tends to get stretched out to make it last longer. I'm doing around 260 a month on groceries and I'm trying to cut that down to sub 240 or even less. Eating clean definitely has a financial learning curve.
    In most cases I don't recommend eating more. I usually don't even recommend more protein either. Because most people get enough. For the purpose of muscle gain, I usually recommend a main focus on training hard, along with simply eating as you wish of the good foods, then cutting once in a while to keep the extra fat off. That way you gain the weight slowly. It ends up being all quality weight that way, all muscle. Then you never have to do a long cut.

Anyways, in your case your food intake just looks rather low. I like the emphasis on fruit. But you've got to throw in some more protein in there. You don't need a lot, but you definitely need more than what you're eating now.

I can give an example of some of the meals I eat here.
    1. eggs, a small amount of meat, 1 cup rice
    2. eggs, crocadile with butter, vegetables, 1 cup rice
    3. a few pieces of fruit (or ice cream as my 20 out of 80/20)

The rice saves a lot of money. That's one thing poor people have no trouble affording. It also has "some" protein. Then you add in some eggs, then a small-medium amount of meat. It all adds up to get enough protein.

I really don't think you should have any trouble eating on a budget. When I was in college, I ate less than 20 grams of carbs per day for several months and it was A LOT of 75% beef. Yuk!!! USA beef is nasty and just the thought of it makes me want to puke!!!

Anyways, I'm just saying, throw in a little bit more meat and fat. Eggs are cheap and help add to the protein. And starchy carbs are usually cheaper than fruit. So for example, you could go half starch half fruit if you want a good healthy mix.

Anyways, I'm just saying. You don't need a crazy amount of food. Don't go overboard. But you definitely need to up the protein and you can while on a budget.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    The crockpot is a great idea. If money is an issue, loosen up on the diet. Eat some rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peanut butter, other nut butters. Learn to forage some local wild edibles. Shoot some rabbits, deer if you dare. Buying certain foods in bulk can help. Go fishing, get some crawdad traps.

Cal. is offline Member
    Some help from Coach Wade:

The Ten Commandments of Calisthenics Mass

NB
    That's Part I, Part II is linked at the bottom of the page.

HavanaFiend is offline Member
    My concern is that maybe I'm eating too many fruits and vegetables at the cost of other things and not getting enough calories. According to a sites calculator
    uuuuuhh... swap the grains and dessert for more vegetables bro. Little low on protein too...?? Never trust site calcuators. If I did, I would think I am underweight despite eating as much as I can.

HavanaFiend is offline Member
    Go fishing
    Do this too! Buy a rod! Is there anywhere you can go for a fish?

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    cottage cheese is generally pretty cheap, not to mention extremely convenient to eat or add to meals in any amount based on how hungry you still are. High protein content with slow releasing protein (casein.) Many people hoping to build muscle make sure to have some before bed so that the amino acids are released slowly into the bloodstream throughout the night so they're immediately available to build fresh muscle.
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    This is what a typical day looks like:

Breakfast: Sweet potato and 2 eggs

Lunch: Big ass salad ( Spinach, radishes, bell pepper, romaine lettuce, bok choy... ) Half a chicken breast or maybe a thin pork chop, sometimes 2, 1/4 cup of bulgur wheat.

Dinner: Grapes, carrot, can of tuna, almonds, apple, maybe a desert like apple pie slice.

2 hours before bed: bowl of wheat flakes, some more fruit ( frozen raspberries, banana etc...)
    Are you trying to embarrass the girls? You need to eat a lot more. Here's a sample of what I eat:

Early before volume day: Protein powder shake
    Breakfast: 3 eggs + 3-6 oz of meat or fish or see lunch below
    Lunch: 2 cups of cubed up meat and a big sweet potato, chocolate
    Dinner: 1/3-3/4lb of meat, veggies, half a large potato, maybe more chocolate.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    You can eat very cheap with high protein if you are willing to slow cook. My favorite trick for when I'm low on money is to buy some tough pork joint, throw in some vegetables, and boil the living hell out of that thing. Make sure to buy a piece with bone and skin, because those are not only cheaper but will add more nutrients. Once you're finished, remove bone and skin, and you have a soup of veggies, meat so tender you can eat it with a spoon and, best of all, it's all simmering in a broth so rich it turns to jelly when you put it in the fridge. I make that stuff to last me for a week at the time sometimes, just put some of that jelly stuff in a cup and into the micro and you're hey ho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12