Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Enjoy Life Foods primal friendly? page 2

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My ds is in a similar boat as you (no nuts--except coconut--seeds, gluten, dairy, soy, corn, also no oranges, strawberries, peanuts or chocolate...) but at least he *can* do eggs. I find making primal baked goods difficult for this reason (he can do some coconut flour baked goods b/c of the eggs so he's got that, but I've not been able to make a coconut flour cookie he likes...)

Not sure if you tolerate seeds at all (although a lot of enjoy life products use sunflower seeds, etc), but when my ds was ok w/ seeds, I used a blend of pumpkin and sunflower seeds (ground in a coffee grinder) to replace almond flour in some of the elana's pantry recipes. (Most of them include eggs though.) BUT, I bet you could use ground seed flours in place of almondmeal/coconut flour in some of the spunky coconut egg free recipes. Check out the link below for some ideas. Experimentation is really necessary in all of this...

http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/sear...0baked%20goods

And here are some pumpkin seed flour ideas if they are at all helpful (most include eggs again, but maybe you can get some ideas???)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...kin+seed+flour

In the long run, it's such a pain in the butt to replicate baked goods w/ so many food restrictions, while also trying to eat primally, that I find it not worth it for myself, but I am still working on perfecting a cookie recipe for my 3 year old that he can tolerate and that is also grain free...

Good luck!

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Geez Erin, you did cop some stray bad Karma there didn't you.

Can you list the things you know you tolerate well (everything you can think of) - that might give people some ideas to suggest?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    For example, I might try this recipe: http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2010...uten-free.html

I'd try to switch the coconut and almond flours for ground pumpkin or sunflower seeds (or a combo of the 2), maybe palm oil or ghee (if you can do it) for the coconut oil, and leave out the chocolate chips, or use a really dark chocolate bar cut into chunks in place of them (if you can find one w/out soy--hard to do!), or use raisins, etc... You also might need less fat (oil) b/c almond flour/meal is defatted I think--again, all of this would require experimentation. And guar gum, although not really primal (I don't think), would be necessary for getting it to stick together w/out eggs.

Again, good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12