Thread: Lumpy cream page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Lumpy cream

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I bought a qt. of cream. It's a long way from it's "use by/pull" date. It tastes fine, but when I went to pour some into my smoothie mix it wouldn't pour. Looking inside, it appeared to be like the consistency of sour cream. (If I spooned it out it would "mound") I was able to get some out and tasted and smelled it before using it and it tasted good. Can this happen with cream?

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    As long as it tasted & smelled fine, go for it. I think it's considered to be cream with a higher fat content when it does that. I buy cream in glass pint bottles and it always has a cream 'plug' at the top. I eat that and drink the rest
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    As long as it tasted & smelled fine, go for it. I think it's considered to be cream with a higher fat content when it does that. I buy cream in glass pint bottles and it always has a cream 'plug' at the top. I eat that and drink the rest
    Thanks! It's been about 6 hours since my breakfast smoothie and I feel just fine.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Cream will lump up especially if its heavy cream. It's just due to the amount of fat it contains. They generally tell you to use it within 7-10 days after you open it though. I've never had issues going past this recommendation.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    If it's whipping cream, check the label for carrageenan and other gums used to stabilize the whipped form. With some brands (Horizon, Lucerne), I've noticed this additive often congeals into a gluey ball...harmless, but unappealing.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Next time you use it just shake it up to mix the fat.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    Cream will lump up especially if its heavy cream. It's just due to the amount of fat it contains. They generally tell you to use it within 7-10 days after you open it though. I've never had issues going past this recommendation.
    I don't get real close to the pull date but I go a lot longer than 10 days. A quart is a lot for one person but I put some in my smoothies and add it to iced coffee. I buy it as Sam's Club because it's so much cheaper.