Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would Grok handle small claims disputes? page 2

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Not sure, but John Locke said that government's primary role was to resolve disputes of property, which began to arise with the start of civilization. And by extension, to regulate the market, making it un-free.
    Locke? Quote? You haven't got one, he didn't say it.

To be frank, I doubt he was that stupid. Disputes I should think are pretty much coeval with humanity -- and, indeed, pre-date it .. And, besides, have many roots. Locke's predecessor Hobbes thought the main problem was "vainglory". Maybe not, but HARD to actually show that.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    As to the original question. If I were the Grokette Judge, and some big company sent in a lawyer over a $300 dispute and there's evidence that the defendant knows he's at fault because he's paid some already, I'd hit the lawyer with my club, have my Grok bailiffs drag his sorry ass out of my sight, then find for the plaintiff. Then I'd charge the insurance company for court time.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    As to the original question
    ... Which is the point.

But -- just for the hell of it -- here is what Locke actually said. (This was in the 2nd Treatise.) It's highly dubious stuff: the "state of nature" as the 17th century "Contract Theorists" imagined it never existed, and this is not how society (which is what, I suppose, our friend meant by "civilisation") arose -- as Hume (among others) pointed out. But, FWIW, what Locke *said* was pretty much the opposite of what our friend said he said. But, of course, he didn't actually think what Locke really did think -- let alone what the truth might be -- actually mattered.

Here's the quote:

To avoid this state of war (wherein there is no appeal but to heaven, and wherein every the least difference is apt to end, where there is no authority to decide between the contenders) is one great reason of men's putting themselves into society, and quitting the state of nature: for where there is an authority, a power on earth, from which relief can be had by appeal, there the continuance of the state of war is excluded, and the controversy is decided by that power.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Not sure, but John Locke said that government's primary role was to resolve disputes of property, which began to arise with the start of civilization. And by extension, to regulate the market, making it un-free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Locke? Quote? You haven't got one, he didn't say it.

To be frank, I doubt he was that stupid. Disputes I should think are pretty much coeval with humanity -- and, indeed, pre-date it .. And, besides, have many roots. Locke's predecessor Hobbes thought the main problem was "vainglory". Maybe not, but HARD to actually show that.
    "Like Hobbes, Locke assumed that the sole right to defend in the state of nature was not enough, so people established a civil society to resolve conflicts in a civil way with help from government in a state of society."

John Locke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 10-19-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I think Grok would use a rock. Other than that, I dunno. Just do anything that's free?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12