Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flies on meat page

Grol is offline Senior Member

Flies on meat

Primal Fuel
    I left some beef out to rest after grilling. Served dinner. Went back for seconds and two fat flies flew off of the meat. Do you just eat it anyway? What if you know any flies in your backyard today likely visited dog poop that needed picking up?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    grill it again
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    next time cover it with some foil while resting...just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    next time cover it with some foil while resting...just saying...
    Sigh. I covered it with a plate, like I always do. An 83 year old removed the plate, sliced a hunk, and didn't replace it. I suspect we've all eaten food that had flies land on it. Shooing them away and eating where they may have briefly landed never really bothered me, but these guys had ten minutes to puke, feed, plant maggots, deposit bacteria. hehe

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    I hear your pain! When that has happened to me, whether I eat it or not without cooking it further depends on how hungry I am...

On the other hand, would it stop Grok from eating it??

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Shoot... if it were just me, I'd eat it anyways. Good exercise for the immune system. I'm not ashamed of saying I practice the 5-second rule regularly.

If I have guests, I understand some people care more about that stuff, so I'd grill it again. I try to make food clean for others, but for myself I don't much care- lol.

Yeah well, it's in the fridge stunting the maggot population. I'll probably fry it up with some eggs tomorrow. I was mostly curious about what others here thought. I've doubtless eaten hundreds of burgers and whatnot that had a fly land on it. Google the topic and there's a lot of fear out there. That was probably my mistake. And then considering most of the flies in my backyard are attracted to the dog poo. Maggots are a good source of protein, right?

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Good exercise for the immune system.
    This.

Caution isn't necessarily a bad thing, but by going to great extremes to avoid germs, you're only making yourself more susceptible to them.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    This.

Caution isn't necessarily a bad thing, but by going to great extremes to avoid germs, you're only making yourself more susceptible to them.
    Gotta disagree. If the bacteria on the dog poo is colonizing this meat, my leaky gut doesn't need to deal with it. That would be stupid. This has nothing to do with going to extremes to avoid germs. I preach against that too and hate antibacterial soaps and not letting babies eat dirt. I make a point to eat unwashed veggies for the probiotic boost all the time. This was a little unique because the flies had ten minutes to enjoy themselves on basically room temp meat and no doubt they came from poo. Their little vomit to eat routine doesn't bother me much, nor do maggot eggs. I'm sure my system has covered that many times. But the poo bacteria may be something I don't want to fight. I have fought enough, thanks.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I wonder if the flies wonder if it is safe to eat after I was chewing on some of it. Their pain, not mine.

I am not so squeamish about things, but I understand not wanting to contract bubonic plague or something. My advice, for what it is worth, is do what you think is best.

Reminds me of the story of a man who caught a fly that landed in his stout. He grabbed the fly and squeezed it over the glass, shouting, "Spit it back, you bastard!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast