Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Did anyone ever become obese from eating Primal? page

Ripped is offline Senior Member

Did anyone ever become obese from eating Primal?

Shop Now
    This is where I'm calling out nonsense on the myth that fast fat loss doesn't work. I used to believe that nonsense, but not anymore.

There are countless theories out there talking about hormones and yada yada yada all in attempts to explain why people gain weight back after losing it too fast. Hmm... maybe because they went back to eating crap, that which made them fat in the first place?

Primal eating works. It keeps you lean. And my bet is if someone started off obese and lost the weight relatively fast, then switched to eating primal instead of eating junk, they wouldn't gain the weight back and they'd stay relatively lean. And this would be regardless as to how they lost the weight.

Think about it. How can they get obese from eating primal? This is assuming they are doing it properly along with periodic fasting. How can they fail? They can't. It'd be impossible. I am sure. And even if they did gain SOME weight back, it couldn't even compare to how much they'd gain by eating junk.

Peace folks.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I could get obese on primal. Give me nuts and fruit on tap.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

mikekola is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Agreed on that. In general- I would say that there's a higher *chance* of staying thin with eating ad libidum only if you restrict carbs in a reasonable way.

Bananas + nuts + almond butter and I'm pretty sure no one will resist that

Side note- probably nobody ever promised you'd stay super thin on paleo/primal with binge eating all the time. Keeping yourself in good shape requires *some* effort always, regardless of the diet plan. It's just that natural, unprocessed foods + making sure insulin is in check, makes taking care of yourself just bearable long-term. Not having to fight your own biology usually makes it easier, LOL.

Michał

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You wish. Maybe not obese, but keeping you lean is a joke. The problem arises when Primal food selection just doesn't keep a person full. Fasting is not something I can do without risking my job, no matter what macros. The whole:" You won't get hungry' never worked for me. I eat to fullness, I gain weight. Endlessly. I stopped restricting food intake last October and so far gained between good 15 lbs. 15 lbs in a year... at that rate it takes 1.5 more years for me to become overweight. Kindda scary.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-18-2013 at 06:18 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Euphoric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    This is where I'm calling out nonsense on the myth that fast fat loss doesn't work. I used to believe that nonsense, but not anymore.
    It does work.

There are countless theories out there talking about hormones and yada yada yada all in attempts to explain why people gain weight back after losing it too fast. Hmm... maybe because they went back to eating crap, that which made them fat in the first place?
    Yep. After a crash diet of much too little, they usually return to old habits, (or at least closer too them).

Primal eating works. It keeps you lean. And my bet is if someone started off obese and lost the weight relatively fast, then switched to eating primal instead of eating junk, they wouldn't gain the weight back and they'd stay relatively lean. And this would be regardless as to how they lost the weight.
    Think about it. How can they get obese from eating primal?
    That depends on the person entirely. It's quite easy to get obese eating primal.

This is assuming they are doing it properly along with periodic fasting.
    Fasting not required. (Though I do so on occasion, but I don't eat primal at the moment anyway.)

How can they fail? They can't. It'd be impossible. I am sure.
    Being a good enough cook and spoiling themselves? Overindulging on nuts and nut butters? I'm sure I could stuff myself full of almond butter until I want to puke, and then eat more all the same.

And even if they did gain SOME weight back, it couldn't even compare to how much they'd gain by eating junk.
    Of course not. Comparing 100 grams of apple to 100 grams of cookies, and voila, you're already at a caloric deficit. But seriously, people can (and have) lost weight on junk food. But really, who eats just one cookie? Serving sizes are a joke.

To answer the title, yes. But as you said, they were likely not doing it properly, but that can be said about multiple diets.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    4 nuts is about all your BMR allows you to eat per day, so for sure.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    From eating too much of anything -- primal or not -- sure.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    My body is rigid in keeping me not fat, it's pretty nice.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I gained a couple of pounds when I first started. I had to readjust some things. Because there is no complete, wholesome diet nowhere no how where I (just I) can free feed and not gain weight. I had two overweight parents and was a chubby child, so figure I'm metabolically cursed. That said, once I modified a few things, Primal eating is an easy way to lose and maintain.

To lose, eat the plan. Do not make things at the top of the pyramid (dark chocolate, nuts, cheese) your staples. Do not pour tons of coconut oil into everything you cook. Do not put a stick of butter in your morning coffee. It also isn't just about the food, but timing. When I see someone who posts they're eating Primal, but then see: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, I don't see that as Primal, but as grazing.

For me, it was simply eating too much, and adding more fat than I should have. In fact, just getting fat back in line with Mark's sample low carb menu was pretty much all I had to do. When I got here, a lot of people were experimenting with keto, and the fat ratios were through the roof. Way higher than recommended by the plan.

But obese? I haven't seen it posted on the forums, and I didn't experience it myself. To get obese, I pretty much have to eat like it's an Olympic event. But chubs is easy for me if I don't measure and count.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    To lose, eat the plan. Do not make things at the top of the pyramid (dark chocolate, nuts, cheese) your staples. Do not pour tons of coconut oil into everything you cook. Do not put a stick of butter in your morning coffee. It also isn't just about the food, but timing. When I see someone who posts they're eating Primal, but then see: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, I don't see that as Primal, but as grazing.

For me, it was simply eating too much, and adding more fat than I should have. In fact, just getting fat back in line with Mark's sample low carb menu was pretty much all I had to do. When I got here, a lot of people were experimenting with keto, and the fat ratios were through the roof. Way higher than recommended by the plan.
    This was exactly what I was talking about. Butters and oils aren't primal at all, Grok wouldn't have had them available because they are processed. He also wouldn't have had unlimited amounts of nuts.

If you do it correctly, it really is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    But obese? I haven't seen it posted on the forums, and I didn't experience it myself. To get obese, I pretty much have to eat like it's an Olympic event. But chubs is easy for me if I don't measure and count.
    This was also what I was talking about. Leida mentioned the possibility of gaining 15 lbs per year while on primal. That really is nothing when compared to how much you can gain eating junk. Personally, I once gained 20 lbs in 10 weeks. I've also gained 40 lbs in 6 months. That's disgusting!!!

Anyways, like I said, if you were doing it correctly, it really is a different story. If you gained 15 lbs in a year, which isn't much, that's nothing that a little intermittent fasting couldn't take care of. If you did it right, you'd fast a little here and there and that'd solve the problem.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast