Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 173

Thread: Did anyone ever become obese from eating Primal? page 5

  1. #41
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,373
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I could get obese on primal. Give me nuts and fruit on tap.
    But that would not be primal...they may be primal foods but that is not a primal eating pattern
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  2. #42
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,422
    True. It would be almost peat-like in absurdity.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  3. #43
    Ripped's Avatar
    Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    505
    So folks? How about my original question about fast fat loss and recovering from obesity? I want opinions.

    If primal eating done correctly can't make you obese, and one has to resort to fast fat loss techniques (such as a very low calorie diet (VLCD) AKA protein sparing modified fast (PSMF), both which are typically less than 800 calories per day) in order to recover from obesity, then will they gain it all back once switching to normal primal eating? Or is that just a bunch of rubbish?

    I say rubbish!!!

  4. #44
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,422
    OMG, I don't even know why you are pitting these unrelated extremes against each other. Starving is terrible, obesity is terrible, you don't use one to battle the other except in extreme cases. I lost 50 pounds stuffing my face and feeling amazing. No starving.

    Why do you think there is such a thing as normal eating? Have you ever even thought about why we call certain things "food"?


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  5. #45
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Laissez le bon temps rouler!
    Posts
    6,597
    I want to address the issue of "starving."

    According to Cronometer:

    12 oz 95/5 ground beef
    4 Tblsp salsa
    2 cups of coffee, each with a half Tblsp of coconut oil
    3 eggs cooked in 1 tsp butter, topped with 2 Tblsp grated parmesan
    Protein shake with 2 egg yolks and a Tblsp of cocoa powder

    has 1199 calories, 128.6 grams Prot, 19.6 grams Carb, and 65.5 grams Fat.

    As a percentage of calories: 45.4% P, 6% C, 48.6% F.

    I can not for the life of me see how that can be considered starving, even though a lot of people seem to think that 1200 cal/day is a starvation "diet." (Adjusted for age, gender, height, activity.)

    Not only that, but it shows that you can do it Primal-ly. It also shows that you don't have to go low fat to do it. Conversely, it shows that you don't need to use a lot of added fat to get good ratios if you're eating an abundance of animal protein - it comes with its own fat built in. It's only one sample day, but it's easy to fool around with the ratios to suit individual needs.

    Anyway, that's how I "starve" when I have to cut a few. Generally weekends are more liberal with 1400 or 1500 calorie days. But I never feel starved. I just really don't like that the conscious lowering of calories is considered such a detriment. It's how you do it. I think if you do it smart, and include your favorite foods (assuming those aren't cakes and cookies), you can do it without feeling starved or deprived.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

  6. #46
    WeldingHank's Avatar
    WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lawrence,Ma
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Oh, b.s. Whatever primal success stories you hear are short-term. There are plenty of people on this forum who haven't and never will lose an ounce, and whatever success they do have will only be from slavishly follow the Primal religion which is mostly just an ignorant ego trip.

    I live the dream, no thanks to Mark Sisson.

    Umm yeah, so I didn't lose nearly 200lbs eating 100% primal? (and that was 1 year ago!) Then what DID I do?

  7. #47
    cantare's Avatar
    cantare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Oh, b.s. Whatever primal success stories you hear are short-term. There are plenty of people on this forum who haven't and never will lose an ounce, and whatever success they do have will only be from slavishly follow the Primal religion which is mostly just an ignorant ego trip.

    I live the dream, no thanks to Mark Sisson.
    If it's an ego trip, it's a well-informed one. They probably don't have all the answers, but I'll also thank Mark Sisson (along with Gary Taubes, the Eades, Bob Atkins and others) for my 140lbs down after 2.5 years Primal. I did not need to
    Quote Originally Posted by ripped
    resort to fast fat loss techniques (such as a very low calorie diet (VLCD) AKA protein sparing modified fast (PSMF), both which are typically less than 800 calories per day) in order to recover from obesity.
    I just went moderate-LC primal with 20/4 IF...and I haven't even done the LHT and sprinting I should be doing.

    Only thing remotely resembling a derailment has come in the last few months during which I've allowed the insurgent Peatarian "eat sugar" school an undue level of influence on my choices (thru adding more sugary fruit, milk, rice and chocolate). That's made appetite hard to control, IF harder to maintain, and I've put back on some unwanted lbs.

    That doesn't make carbs the devil incarnate; it just makes me suspect a Peat/high-carb approach wouldn't work for me--or that 'doing it right' would require other changes I'm not interested in making (like restricting fat or portions). I don't get the psychology of peeps who fail to attain optimal results on Plan X, and then set out to completely trash and discredit said plan. Instead of simply acknowledging that it didn't work for you (and sharing what did do the trick), the rest of us must be tarred as dupes too stupid and short-sighted to see the ugly failure that awaits us.

    Talk about your "religion" and "ego trip"...It's as tiresome as the SAD devotees who insist that "all that saturated fat" etc will kill me DEAD, DEAD, DEAD! at some nebulous future time, despite all current tangible evidence to the contrary.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

    “Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

  8. #48
    sra1984's Avatar
    sra1984 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colfax, WA
    Posts
    36
    [QUOTE=Stacy15;1341426]I've never worried about going overboard on veggies. Fruit & nuts I rarely eat. Maybe a banana or two or handful of almonds a week at most.

    I haven't been able to go overboard on primal anything yet. I have only been on it for three weeks now, so that is not saying much. However, in the first two weeks I lost 17 pounds. This week I was up 1.4 pounds, but my measurements were down pretty significantly, so I am not worried about it- gaining lean body mass is a good thing. I can just see myself easily succumbing if I am not careful. Probably because I am an emotional eater, I want to give myself the emotional equivalent to the things that I liked to eat before, but on plan. I feel like that keeps me from overdoing it.

    I actually only do nuts if I am out and about and STARVING to the point that I don't think I can drive- it doesn't happen often, a couple times a week at most (due to poor planning usually). I am looking into faux pizza dough recipes just so I can eat something that feels like pizza (I've done it with no cheese due to lactose intolerance and only vegetables for a long time, make my own sauce), but that will be a rare treat.

    Fruit, I eat less of it than I eat vegetables, but I refuse to deny myself something perfectly reasonable in moderation. This is especially true when it comes to berries or apples or the like. Apples, baked with a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg are just as good as apple pie when I want desert. Actually, you don't even really have to bake them- just sprinkle apple slices with some cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg. These things are primal, if I understand the plan correctly, and will help me deal with eating this way in the long run.

    I do keep my carbs to around 70 or less a day, generally speaking. Sometimes way less, sometimes a little more. It all balances out in the end. And that I think is the key here- balance. I think that will be what keeps me going on this for the long haul. I need it to be for the long haul because of borderline insulin resistance, so I'd rather play around with this way of eating than go back to eating the way I was before, no matter how hard that feels now (I'm a feelings kind of a girl). Health is the goal, and I actually do think I will be more healthy eating this way in general, even if I don't lose another pound- but I think I will
    Last edited by sra1984; 10-19-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. #49
    loafingcactus's Avatar
    loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Umm yeah, so I didn't lose nearly 200lbs eating 100% primal? (and that was 1 year ago!) Then what DID I do?
    Congratulations on your success. That is awesome! Hopefully have registered with the National Weight Control Registry so your success can be studied, ESPECIALLY if you make it to the *five* year mark. The five year mark is so rare for losses of more than 65 pounds (about 1% of people who actually lose, which has to be some infinitesimal portion of people who want to lose) that this is where the data gets really interesting.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

  10. #50
    Ripped's Avatar
    Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I want to address the issue of "starving."

    According to Cronometer:

    12 oz 95/5 ground beef
    4 Tblsp salsa
    2 cups of coffee, each with a half Tblsp of coconut oil
    3 eggs cooked in 1 tsp butter, topped with 2 Tblsp grated parmesan
    Protein shake with 2 egg yolks and a Tblsp of cocoa powder

    has 1199 calories, 128.6 grams Prot, 19.6 grams Carb, and 65.5 grams Fat.

    As a percentage of calories: 45.4% P, 6% C, 48.6% F.

    I can not for the life of me see how that can be considered starving, even though a lot of people seem to think that 1200 cal/day is a starvation "diet." (Adjusted for age, gender, height, activity.)

    Not only that, but it shows that you can do it Primal-ly. It also shows that you don't have to go low fat to do it. Conversely, it shows that you don't need to use a lot of added fat to get good ratios if you're eating an abundance of animal protein - it comes with its own fat built in. It's only one sample day, but it's easy to fool around with the ratios to suit individual needs.

    Anyway, that's how I "starve" when I have to cut a few. Generally weekends are more liberal with 1400 or 1500 calorie days. But I never feel starved. I just really don't like that the conscious lowering of calories is considered such a detriment. It's how you do it. I think if you do it smart, and include your favorite foods (assuming those aren't cakes and cookies), you can do it without feeling starved or deprived.
    This has got to be one of the most intelligent posts I've ever seen written on this form. And I agree.

    The problem I have is that people (not necessarily on this forum) are always bashing fast fat loss and saying it is no good, and arbitrarily labeling certain techniques as being too extreme or bad for you without any proof . And this I believe only hinders peoples success.

    Why? Well for example, how can a disgustingly obese person ever hope to lose weight properly if they are purposely trying to do the 500 calorie deficit bodybuilding style thing? If they had 100 lbs to lose, that'd be WAY too strict to follow for WAY too long. It's unrealistic. The truth is if they did more of an acceptably extreme but flexible approach, they probably could lose 3-5 lbs per week at first, then eventually that would slow down. They'd have some weeks where they'd lose faster, others where they wouldn't lose at all, and maybe even some weeks where they'd gain some back, but on average, they'd still lose a good amount of weight and it'd be a much more comfortable process.

    Personally, I like fast fat loss when necessary. Because I just don't think it's practical, comfortable, or realistic to be on a strict diet for an extended period of time. If you lose fast, it sucks, but only for a short period of time, much more manageable IMHO. I'm a fan of extreme calorie reduced diets when necessary, not extremely strict diets. I like flexibility. And fast fat loss provides that.
    Last edited by Ripped; 10-20-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •