Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 173

Thread: Did anyone ever become obese from eating Primal? page 3

  1. #21
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,258
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I feel pretty sure that if the whole country went primal, even allowing or over eating of nuts, and paleo treats,etc, that on a whole population level - the number of overweight and/or obese people would drop dramatically.
    +1.

    With the stipulation that not everything works for everybody. Even if it works for 90% of people, that's not everybody. With the stipulation that I believe things like genes and gut flora have not been researched thoroughly enough. Maybe because the money isn't there? And I believe the genetic component is very important. We all know plenty of people who are thin and seem to always have a bag of Cheetos in their hands.

    But Paleo, Primal, PHD, etc., are all a good start. Going back to eating 1-3 discreet meals, not grazing all day is a good start. Not starving, but not treating every tiny hunger signal* as if one will perish if it's not taken care of immediately is a good start. And that's just the food side of it.

    *Though Mark says to eat when you're hungry and not when you're not, I have to wonder how that would be possible. Maybe/probably I'm suggestible, but when you watch TV, you're bombarded with food commercials. (And OMG, travel-cooking shows always make me want to eat.) When you go into a movie theatre, you're hit with the smell of popcorn. If you work in a place where the snack room is close by, you'll catch the scent of people heating things in the microwave. And on and on. Those are the ones I am still teaching myself to ignore.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a fat hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  2. #22
    Stacy15's Avatar
    Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1984 View Post
    I hope you are right, but I know from personal experience how easy it is to go overboard on things that are "good for you." I can eat any number of fruit and vegetables all day long if I let myself. Of course, to do this I have to ignore my hunger signals- which I have grown expert at as an emotional eater. That said, you are ahead of the game just eating the things that are good for you, but too many calories is too many calories, period.
    I've never worried about going overboard on veggies. Fruit & nuts I rarely eat. Maybe a banana or two or handful of almonds a week at most.

    It seems pretty common in the paleo world from my experience. Those last 10 lbs are hard in general but I have seen a number of "paleo" people drop 60lb+ steadily and it stops about 10-15lb short of being truly lean - what I consider 8-12% body fat on a male. Picking up more potatoes, fruit, and beans (black beans +1) really helped me lean out more awhile back. I think adding more good carbs in and being conservative on pointless fat intake from oils and butter is a big help towards the end. In fact I find about 400 calories of black beans a lot more satiating than most fat proteins of the same value. Really, the same with potatoes ..400 calories of potatoes is a lot of food. Meanwhile I can tear through 800 calories of steak or chicken legs easy. Maybe it's just me though.. but I think the classic high fat paleo design is hard for a lot of people to get the last 10-15lb off.
    I recently (last 6 months) added potatoes in to up my carbs, mostly to fuel my workouts. Since adding them in I've only gone down 5lbs on scale, but almost 2 pant sizes, so still leaning out.

  3. #23
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    Did you try fasting? At all?

    I've been through the same thing by the way, but I was still able to overcome it long term. Was it simple? YES!!! Was it easy? NO!!! But I did it. I had to cut many times in many different ways, cutting calories very low, fasting, etc..

    But honestly, now that I'm leaner, I really have no trouble keeping the weight off. I actually even eat ice cream almost every day and it doesn't make me fat. Clearly it's a lot harder to lose weight than it is to maintain it.
    Yes. For about 6+ months I was doing LG I fasted at least 5x a week for 16-20 hrs a day. No effect (well, slight weight creep, about 5 lbs). Once I managed 1 day fast, and a couple times - dinner to dinner. Over time it became harder and harder to fast to the point of not being able not only do desk job but to actually sit in a meeting (phase out) and sleep. Wake up after 4-5 hours with back pains and inability to fall asleep/exhaustion. Weight loss was possible by powering through it... but I can't summon the will after 4 years any more.

    I reached a minimum weight of ~ 114 lbs twice (where I would have loved to stay!) - once on CW and once - on the Ultimate Diet 2.0, but it piled back up the moment I went over 1200-1400 cals a day and stopped starving. I basically never had had an experience of easy maintenance since childbirth. Even when I did not eat anything sweet, including fruit. Always hunger, either acute (CW) or chronic (LC). Chronic leads to sleep disturbances, low carb leads to depression and suicidal thoughts and near-faint state in about 6 weeks. Both eventually lead to food obsession/binges.

    My body seems to refuse to function when I am not padded with BF. And even when I am, it takes conscious efforts and hunger to stay there.

    I do believe that Paleo/Primal (but with inclusion of legumes) is the most beneficial way to eat.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-18-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  4. #24
    Mr. Anthony's Avatar
    Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,302
    I just tend to think that paleo/primal is the "easy button" for being healthy and in decent shape. Hey, 8 billion people in the world, anything can happen...but unless something inside you is pretty much broken I think paleo/primal is a really good start.

    Sent via F-22 Raptor

  5. #25
    fiercehunter's Avatar
    fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    the world
    Posts
    1,940
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    +1.

    With the stipulation that not everything works for everybody. Even if it works for 90% of people, that's not everybody. With the stipulation that I believe things like genes and gut flora have not been researched thoroughly enough. Maybe because the money isn't there? And I believe the genetic component is very important. We all know plenty of people who are thin and seem to always have a bag of Cheetos in their hands.

    But Paleo, Primal, PHD, etc., are all a good start. Going back to eating 1-3 discreet meals, not grazing all day is a good start. Not starving, but not treating every tiny hunger signal* as if one will perish if it's not taken care of immediately is a good start. And that's just the food side of it.

    *Though Mark says to eat when you're hungry and not when you're not, I have to wonder how that would be possible. Maybe/probably I'm suggestible, but when you watch TV, you're bombarded with food commercials. (And OMG, travel-cooking shows always make me want to eat.) When you go into a movie theatre, you're hit with the smell of popcorn. If you work in a place where the snack room is close by, you'll catch the scent of people heating things in the microwave. And on and on. Those are the ones I am still teaching myself to ignore.
    Genes are important (I could never be obese), but food, lifestyle choices, and right information are the key. Getting the starches out is a start but if you don't lower your PUFA intake (omega 6 & 3), you will never be healthy, which is why so many people can't lose weight and eventually end up gaining, even on real food....

    The Peat ideas if correctly applied work for everyone, whereas just reading this board you realize Primal works only in theory- ie its a nice idea, with no basis in reality.

    Now that I've learned the truth I don't worry about what other people are doing. They can learn about PUFAs and starches if they want to. It's up to them.

  6. #26
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,183
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    The Peat ideas if correctly applied work for everyone, whereas just reading this board you realize Primal works only in theory- ie its a nice idea, with no basis in reality.
    Primal only works in theory? I'd have to say these boards are chock full of people for whom it's worked wonders. This post on a Friday, when there's yet another Friday success story on the main page.

    Fierce, I just took a phone message for you. Reality called. It's wondering where you've been.

  7. #27
    fiercehunter's Avatar
    fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    the world
    Posts
    1,940
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Primal only works in theory? I'd have to say these boards are chock full of people for whom it's worked wonders. This post on a Friday, when there's yet another Friday success story on the main page.

    Fierce, I just took a phone message for you. Reality called. It's wondering where you've been.
    Oh, b.s. Whatever primal success stories you hear are short-term. There are plenty of people on this forum who haven't and never will lose an ounce, and whatever success they do have will only be from slavishly follow the Primal religion which is mostly just an ignorant ego trip.

    I live the dream, no thanks to Mark Sisson.

  8. #28
    picklepete's Avatar
    picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,662
    IME overeating whole foods is not impossible but it leaves a distinct and vaguely unpleasant stuffed feeling, unlikely to become a habit. The most I've ever managed is probably in the 3000-3200 kcal range, and that's on days with~40mi of cycling or following a 24-36hr fast.

    Contrast with the US "bar food" template of dry starches used as soybean oil sponges. 2-3 bites, minimal chewing, astonishing energy content. Or cinema concessions--1000-2000 kcal easily and people are still in the mood for dinner 90 minutes later.
    35//6'3"/180

    My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

  9. #29
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,148
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Oh, b.s. Whatever primal success stories you hear are short-term. There are plenty of people on this forum who haven't and never will lose an ounce, and whatever success they do have will only be from slavishly follow the Primal religion which is mostly just an ignorant ego trip.

    I live the dream, no thanks to Mark Sisson.
    yes, you're seeing life differently than many people do
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

  10. #30
    nikitakolata's Avatar
    nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Of course, it's all one's own fault and it is really super-simple. Starve to death and all will be just peachy. Dunno, I really wish there was a way to have a firm body without starving while keeping a desk job, but honestly. It is NOT simple. It's just not. Sleeplessness, deprivation, depression, inability to handle family meals and beeing at home in proximity to food... and being hungry, hungry, hungry. I tried eating all fat, protein, classical keto, cyclic ketonic, classic CW... the result is all the same. You eat normal portions enough to satisfy, not feeling like you've overate... good food... weight gain. Will I get obese? I don't know. For my height I guess it is 180-190 lbs to be considered obese. Well, call me in 5 years and I will tell you if someone can eat all non-processed food, work out, move a lot, and still become obese. My guess is that, sadly, yes.
    Unfortunately, this is my experience. Unless I am hungry must of the time I am nor able to lose weight. I am primal and obese right now. I am considering going back on phentermine just because it gave me some sense of control. Sad, indeed.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •