Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 173

Thread: Did anyone ever become obese from eating Primal? page 2

  1. #11
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,785
    Shop Now
    Of course, it's all one's own fault and it is really super-simple. Starve to death and all will be just peachy. Dunno, I really wish there was a way to have a firm body without starving while keeping a desk job, but honestly. It is NOT simple. It's just not. Sleeplessness, deprivation, depression, inability to handle family meals and beeing at home in proximity to food... and being hungry, hungry, hungry. I tried eating all fat, protein, classical keto, cyclic ketonic, classic CW... the result is all the same. You eat normal portions enough to satisfy, not feeling like you've overate... good food... weight gain. Will I get obese? I don't know. For my height I guess it is 180-190 lbs to be considered obese. Well, call me in 5 years and I will tell you if someone can eat all non-processed food, work out, move a lot, and still become obese. My guess is that, sadly, yes.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-18-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  2. #12
    Stacy15's Avatar
    Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Primal eating works. It keeps you lean. And my bet is if someone started off obese and lost the weight relatively fast, then switched to eating primal instead of eating junk, they wouldn't gain the weight back and they'd stay relatively lean. And this would be regardless as to how they lost the weight.
    Eating primal works for me. I have lost 60 lbs this way (over 2 years). I have never counted calories and eat lots of fat. My steak is dripping in butter, coconut oil in my coffee, eat bacon. Every day. I still have ~20-30 lbs more I'd like to lose, so not sure if I will need to change it up as my weight gets lower, but so far so good. No matter how much I have stuffed myself, as long as it was primal, I have not gained weight. Stalled maybe, but never gone up. I keep getting leaner.

  3. #13
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,689
    Eating primal works for me. I have lost 60 lbs this way (over 2 years). I have never counted calories and eat lots of fat. My steak is dripping in butter, coconut oil in my coffee, eat bacon. Every day. I still have ~20-30 lbs more I'd like to lose, so not sure if I will need to change it up as my weight gets lower, but so far so good. No matter how much I have stuffed myself, as long as it was primal, I have not gained weight. Stalled maybe, but never gone up. I keep getting leaner.
    Same for me. But here I sit at year three, those 50 pounds gone, stronger and healthier than ever, and I think "Hmm, only ten pounds less and my abs will be popping!" and I'm starting to think guzzling fat might be an impedance...now that I'm down to 17% body fat and wanting to go lower.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  4. #14
    Silvergirl's Avatar
    Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    Eating primal works for me. I have lost 60 lbs this way (over 2 years). I have never counted calories and eat lots of fat. My steak is dripping in butter, coconut oil in my coffee, eat bacon. Every day. I still have ~20-30 lbs more I'd like to lose, so not sure if I will need to change it up as my weight gets lower, but so far so good. No matter how much I have stuffed myself, as long as it was primal, I have not gained weight. Stalled maybe, but never gone up. I keep getting leaner.
    This almost exactly me also. I reached a level of weight so low I am actively trying to add more calories everyday.

    I really feel that when you have found the right WOE for YOU, it should be easy, easy to lower weight if needed, easy to do without feeling like you need to binge, and also feel decently energized and well on it. If it isn't then you have a journey on your hands having to play with the macros etc. etc. to find what does work. Also wanted to add that for me I keep myself to a strict schedule, no snacking. Breakfast lunch and dinner, that is it. No food after evening meal. I think if I changed that I would probably have no problem gaining, and feeling sluggish, bloated and awful in the process.
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 10-18-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

  5. #15
    sra1984's Avatar
    sra1984 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colfax, WA
    Posts
    36
    I hope you are right, but I know from personal experience how easy it is to go overboard on things that are "good for you." I can eat any number of fruit and vegetables all day long if I let myself. Of course, to do this I have to ignore my hunger signals- which I have grown expert at as an emotional eater. That said, you are ahead of the game just eating the things that are good for you, but too many calories is too many calories, period.

    I have lost quite a bit of weight these first few weeks, although that is leveling out now and I am starting to basically stay the same (however, my measurements are still going down, so I believe I am actually gaining lean body mass- as if I didn't already have enough and possibly losing body fat, good things to be sure, but unexpected for me). I like the idea of finding my body's own equilibrium, ideal state, whatever that is advocated by this plan, though. So many plans focus on fitting into the cultural idea of what is healthy, they never really stop to think if it is healthy for the person in question. I now have at least 175 pounds of lean body mass on me and for my height, they want me at 136 to 160 pounds total or some such and given my lean body mass that is just an absurd number to try to reach. I am still trying to figure out where I would stop trying to lose weight when I hit it, but maybe my body will decide that for me. I don't know.

    Tangent aside, you can become at the very least overweight eating just about anything if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing. This is why I tend to keep a food journal, even though the plan does not really advocate one. If I am not encouraging myself to actively think about protein to fat to carb ratios then I will blow through them or miss them entirely. Although, if I am paying attention, I am much less likely to do so. So, I think it depends on your personality, to a degree as well.

    That's my two cents.
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #16
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,522
    I feel pretty sure that if the whole country went primal, even allowing or over eating of nuts, and paleo treats,etc, that on a whole population level - the number of overweight and/or obese people would drop dramatically.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  7. #17
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,196
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I feel pretty sure that if the whole country went primal, even allowing or over eating of nuts, and paleo treats,etc, that on a whole population level - the number of overweight and/or obese people would drop dramatically.
    yep i think so too, and i think it would be kinda neat if that happened

    i have some stubborn relatives
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

  8. #18
    statikcat's Avatar
    statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Same for me. But here I sit at year three, those 50 pounds gone, stronger and healthier than ever, and I think "Hmm, only ten pounds less and my abs will be popping!" and I'm starting to think guzzling fat might be an impedance...now that I'm down to 17% body fat and wanting to go lower.
    It seems pretty common in the paleo world from my experience. Those last 10 lbs are hard in general but I have seen a number of "paleo" people drop 60lb+ steadily and it stops about 10-15lb short of being truly lean - what I consider 8-12% body fat on a male. Picking up more potatoes, fruit, and beans (black beans +1) really helped me lean out more awhile back. I think adding more good carbs in and being conservative on pointless fat intake from oils and butter is a big help towards the end. In fact I find about 400 calories of black beans a lot more satiating than most fat proteins of the same value. Really, the same with potatoes ..400 calories of potatoes is a lot of food. Meanwhile I can tear through 800 calories of steak or chicken legs easy. Maybe it's just me though.. but I think the classic high fat paleo design is hard for a lot of people to get the last 10-15lb off.

  9. #19
    Ripped's Avatar
    Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Of course, it's all one's own fault and it is really super-simple. Starve to death and all will be just peachy. Dunno, I really wish there was a way to have a firm body without starving while keeping a desk job, but honestly. It is NOT simple. It's just not. Sleeplessness, deprivation, depression, inability to handle family meals and beeing at home in proximity to food... and being hungry, hungry, hungry. I tried eating all fat, protein, classical keto, cyclic ketonic, classic CW... the result is all the same. You eat normal portions enough to satisfy, not feeling like you've overate... good food... weight gain. Will I get obese? I don't know. For my height I guess it is 180-190 lbs to be considered obese. Well, call me in 5 years and I will tell you if someone can eat all non-processed food, work out, move a lot, and still become obese. My guess is that, sadly, yes.
    Did you try fasting? At all?

    I've been through the same thing by the way, but I was still able to overcome it long term. Was it simple? YES!!! Was it easy? NO!!! But I did it. I had to cut many times in many different ways, cutting calories very low, fasting, etc..

    But honestly, now that I'm leaner, I really have no trouble keeping the weight off. I actually even eat ice cream almost every day and it doesn't make me fat. Clearly it's a lot harder to lose weight than it is to maintain it.

    Anyways, sorry if my topic title was misleading, but the main point of my thread was meant to address the myth that if you lose weight fast you'll only gain it all back again and more. And I'm calling nonsense. Follow my example:

    Let's assume for example you can lose up to 20 lbs per year, that which in my opinion can be achieved without too much discomfort. You aren't going to be able to gain that much back eating primal, and even if you could you wouldn't if it was in fact your goal to get lean and stay lean. With primal eating you can only gain weight so fast, that which can't be compared to how fast you can gain eating junk. With that being said, the faster you lose weight and the more total weight you lose, the more the amount you lost will outweigh what is possible to gain back.

    So let's say for example you can gain 20 lbs per year eating primal. If you lose 20 lbs the first year because you cut hard, then allowed yourself to gain the next year, worst case the next year is you break even. But if you lose 50 lbs instead and gained 20 lbs back the next year, you'll still walk out 30 lbs lighter after two years.

    You see what I mean? The math works out in your favor with primal. Because you can only gain so fast. And in reality, you probably won't gain on it unless you don't do it right. But if you do it right, no problem.

    Compare that with what can be gained eating junk food as much as you want and as often as you want. The sky is the limit. If I can gain 20 lbs in 10 weeks, that means I can gain 100 lbs in a year. This is where the myth came from. This is why even studies show that most dieters fail. This is also why studies show many examples as to how people gain weight back after severe dieting as well.

    Why? Most people in the USA are always gaining anyways. Because they eat junk. That's why they get fat. So it won't matter if you lost weight at 1/2 lb per week or 5 lbs per week. Because if you go back to eating crap, and they always do, you're going to gain weight again. This is what should be expected.

    But not with primal. Sure you can, very slowly. But if you understand what you are doing, such shouldn't be an issue.

    Get back to you in 5 years? I'd say that's a good call. Because you might be able to get there in 5 years if you really don't care, and are also eating primally. But not if you do. However, on SAD I can get there in 5 months, without a doubt, without even trying.

  10. #20
    Ripped's Avatar
    Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    It seems pretty common in the paleo world from my experience. Those last 10 lbs are hard in general but I have seen a number of "paleo" people drop 60lb+ steadily and it stops about 10-15lb short of being truly lean - what I consider 8-12% body fat on a male. Picking up more potatoes, fruit, and beans (black beans +1) really helped me lean out more awhile back. I think adding more good carbs in and being conservative on pointless fat intake from oils and butter is a big help towards the end. In fact I find about 400 calories of black beans a lot more satiating than most fat proteins of the same value. Really, the same with potatoes ..400 calories of potatoes is a lot of food. Meanwhile I can tear through 800 calories of steak or chicken legs easy. Maybe it's just me though.. but I think the classic high fat paleo design is hard for a lot of people to get the last 10-15lb off.
    I agree with this one. My first time trying high fat very low carbs worked pretty well for me. But I plateaued and my energy levels crashed. Years later I tried it differently and started to see more fat loss when I actually started finding ways to calories. Now days I'm more moderate with everything, but eat less frequently (2 meals per day) and fast once in a while, and that's what's keeping me lean.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •