Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Did anyone ever become obese from eating Primal? page 14

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Didn't we put this crap to rest in like 2007?
    Apparently not. I really hate to get into it again, but feeding more people => more starving people. If not for corn, wheat, rice, and other high-yield annual grains being intentionally cultivated we wouldn't have to worry about the glaciers or the ozone layer or the rainforest. Because there would be a number of us on the planet that the planet could actually sustain. Suggesting that we eat more wheat and corn so we can make more people is not a solution. Let me put it another way:

Food production and population growth is a positive feedback loop. Increase the food, increase the population. We respond to increased population by increasing the food. Which results in an increase in the population. Which we respond to by... increasing... the... food. We've run this experiment every year for 10,000 years and it's come out the same every. single. time. No amount of free birth control in the third world countries can change the fact that we, as a species, are subject to the same laws as every other species. And any biologist will tell you that a species' population grows in response to an increase in its food supply.

So yeah, if your goal is to overrun the planet and render it completely uninhabitable as quickly as possible, grains are the way to go. If you want to build topsoil, and stop sending surplus commodity crops to third world countries that have overrun their own continents' carrying capacity 2 or 3 times over (I'm look at you, Africa), then maybe this Primal mumbo-jumbo has some merits outside the fact that it allows us compression of morbidity and makes us look better naked.

Next!

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    You sound as though those are the only two possible was of eating out there. I didn't come to primal from SAD. I came from a long history of other, mostly healthy WOE's (i.e. vegetarian, raw, WAPF most recently) and I increased in clothes size and scale weight. For the first time in my life I was unable to drop a few pounds by just cleaning things up for a few days- suddenly my weight wouldn't budge and I steadily crept up on the scales. I blamed "paleo" for making me fat, but now I think I should be thanking paleo for making me strong. I believe the size and weight I've put on is muscle. Last time I had a caliper test at the gym I was 24% bf and weighed 20 lbs less (about 5 years ago). So now I'm 23% and 165, doesn't that mean I put on 20lb of muscle? I know that last sentence strays from the point but I'm still wrapping my brain around this revelation and want to get some ideas from the group.
    Sigh..(yoga is right..we are like Laurel and Hardy) we have had different experiences and no..I was not saying those are the only 2 possibilities. I get what you are saying though.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by oceangrl; 10-24-2013 at 08:29 PM.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Food production and population growth is a positive feedback loop.
    Collapse is a good book about this. Many biologists admit that they don't know what a nourished specimen of most species would look like since virtually all of them breed themselves into a state of mild Malthusian deficiency.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    Primal as written is OK, and certainly better than the SAD; but most don't do it correctly because these forums exist full of people tweaking and overanalyzing. And books? Who reads those?!
    I think this goes right along with Mark's newest blog post called "Why Diets Fail".

And I think that's why people get fat to begin with. We are too smart for our own good. Sure, it started with making food the way it wasn't mean to be. But what happened next?

We started making up rules. Finish everything on your plate. Eat 3 meals per day. And from there it just kept getting more and more complicated and confusing. And again, with the internet age it only got worse.

If we just left it alone, everything would be fine. Eat real foods when you are hungry. Stop when you are full. If you feel you've eaten too much, take a break. If people just did that there wouldn't be any fat people.

It isn't that complicated. If chimpanzees can do it why can't we? Simple. Because we think too much. Our brains get in the way.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    I blamed "paleo" for making me fat, but now I think I should be thanking paleo for making me strong. I believe the size and weight I've put on is muscle. Last time I had a caliper test at the gym I was 24% bf and weighed 20 lbs less (about 5 years ago). So now I'm 23% and 165, doesn't that mean I put on 20lb of muscle? I know that last sentence strays from the point but I'm still wrapping my brain around this revelation and want to get some ideas from the group.
    Based on that (and calipers are very reliable in the hands of someone who knows how to use them) you have put on 20 lbs of lean mass (this is everything that is not fat, so primarily muscle) and lost a couple pounds of fat.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-25-2013 at 05:31 AM.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I am just on the verge of being obese (29 BMI) according to the NHS.

I am currently weighing in at just over 200 pounds at 5/10 and I am probably in the best shape of my life although I am purely focused on strenght training at the moment

I have put on about 20 pounds in a year but my clothes are all still the same (if not looser) and I am still a 34 inch waist which I am pretty happy about.

The funny thing is that the nurse said I needed to lose some weight and she must have been about 20 stone herself

Don't conform to what the 1920's say what you need to be.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Based on that (and calipers are very reliable in the hands of someone who knows how to use them) you have put on 20 lbs of lean mass (this is everything that is not fat, so primarily muscle) and lost a couple pounds of fat.
    Thanks neck- so it is possible to put up 20 lbs of muscle on my frame? If this is the case it's pretty cool. Though it sucks I've been obsessing over this weight gain for 2 years now for no reason.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Fiercehunter thnks we don't exist! Ha ha ha. Lost 50 pounds over the last three years, stayed strong, feel like a kid again. *poof* there goes your idea of Primal not working. AND I did it largely on bacon, avocadoes, fish and all sorts of nuts, the things often pegged as evil around here. How did I do that? Am I a magic unicorn?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Didn't we put this crap to rest in like 2007?
    It's not crap. I gave the math. Have you ever raised cattle? No? Do you know their land requirements? No?
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post

So yeah, if your goal is to overrun the planet and render it completely uninhabitable as quickly as possible, grains are the way to go. If you want to build topsoil, and stop sending surplus commodity crops to third world countries that have overrun their own continents' carrying capacity 2 or 3 times over (I'm look at you, Africa), then maybe this Primal mumbo-jumbo has some merits outside the fact that it allows us compression of morbidity and makes us look better naked.

Next!

See, I knew you were a dick. I mean, reading your comments in a dozen threads the past day, I was positive. But now I have proof. Basically you are saying, you want billions of people to die of starvation. Dick move.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast