Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Did anyone ever become obese from eating Primal? page 10

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    also fierce, i remember you bragging that you've been primal since before it even became a word. how's your weight doing?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yup. I'm gonna start a new charity to donate squat racks to the maasai. Those dudes are way too skinny.

I'm not trying to defend the 200 pound comments you're talking about, but let's remember that the people who still live like our ancestors are the ones who live on the fringes of inhabitable lands. Everything that would have fed them more copiously has been put to the plow. They were, probably, on average, a bit bigger and swoler than the extant tribal peoples we can study today.
    They're not nearly as big as the people on Rip's forum. They just aren't. It's too expensive to maintain that level of fat and muscle whether you are forest gardening and hunting and fishing in Papua New Guinea or Africa or the high mountains of South America and Asia. They usually look like normal men, not like jacked powerlifters. Think of how it looks to be 6ft 180lbs rather than 225lbs.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    They're not nearly as big as the people on Rip's forum. They just aren't. It's too expensive to maintain that level of fat and muscle whether you are forest gardening and hunting and fishing in Papua New Guinea or Africa or the high mountains of South America and Asia. They usually look like normal men, not like jacked powerlifters. Think of how it looks to be 6ft 180lbs rather than 225lbs.
    I'm not arguing that people like the Iroquois were the equivalent of juiced up, gomadded-out powerlifters. But the Iroquois were definitely some physically imposing dudes. I'm just saying it's not fair to compare to people we haven't gotten around to wiping off the face of the planet yet, because those people live in the harshest of environments.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think we will simply never know how tribal people looked at their peak. We know however that the ideal body image with good muscular development and leanness dates back to Ancient Greece at least. Top athletes' diet back then was the ruinously expensive red meat based - apparently a lot of Olympic winners. Leanness as a form of beauty seem to be more prevalent and common than full-figured ideals even in the West alone.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm not arguing that people like the Iroquois were the equivalent of juiced up, gomadded-out powerlifters. But the Iroquois were definitely some physically imposing dudes. I'm just saying it's not fair to compare to people we haven't gotten around to wiping off the face of the planet yet, because those people live in the harshest of environments.
    Line this pic of a Jarawa tribesman (or so the original link to it said). He looks more alert and stocky to me though.

I think physiques would still have varied somewhat due to which geographical region they were from, so it depends how far back we're talking I guess.

http://i.imgur.com/uosHm.jpg
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post

I think physiques would still have varied somewhat due to which geographical region they were from, so it depends how far back we're talking I guess.
    For sure. The PNG highlanders are shorter, with very well defined muscles and very low body fat percentage. I remember being up there and looking at their arms and abs amazed that they could be that defined without doing any weights. That being said when they do lift weights they seem to find it very easy to stack on muscle. And from my time in the outback, I can tell ya that bush Aboriginals that still eat mostly traditional are long lean people, well toned. Very low body fat. They don't find it so easy to stack on muscle when they do lift weights. When they switch to a western diet though it is detrimental. It affects them harder and faster then PNG highlanders. That's not to say the highlanders aren't, it just that there is something special, or maybe more ancient about the Australian Aboriginal that leaves them so vulnerable to our shitty western foods.

Almost every Aboriginal person I know living in town or city has diabetes. They are a classic study of paleolithic people living in a modern world and suffering for it
    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    Almost every Aboriginal person I know living in town or city has diabetes. They are a classic study of paleolithic people living in a modern world and suffering for it
    Sadly common among Native Americans as well.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    For sure. The PNG highlanders are shorter, with very well defined muscles and very low body fat percentage. I remember being up there and looking at their arms and abs amazed that they could be that defined without doing any weights. That being said when they do lift weights they seem to find it very easy to stack on muscle. And from my time in the outback, I can tell ya that bush Aboriginals that still eat mostly traditional are long lean people, well toned. Very low body fat. They don't find it so easy to stack on muscle when they do lift weights. When they switch to a western diet though it is detrimental. It affects them harder and faster then PNG highlanders. That's not to say the highlanders aren't, it just that there is something special, or maybe more ancient about the Australian Aboriginal that leaves them so vulnerable to our shitty western foods.

I made the same observations in Vanuatu (as you with PNG), in Australia and here in NZ with both the Maori and other Pacific Islanders who have settled here. It's heart breaking to see the state of their health, but especially so for the Australian aboriginals I find. Maybe because they really do seem like they've been pulled from the past and dumped in a world that doesn't give a hoot for how they live or should live to enable them to thrive.

Absolutely no insult intended by that, it's just after seeing them so at home in nature and what is so obviously their natural environment and then seeing how so many of them fare in the cities, I really feel for them and the massive culture shock they've experienced over the past 200 to 300 years, which would be but a blink of an eye in their collective conciousseness.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Well, David (the statue) is supposedly the ideal male figure. I doubt he would have weighed 200lbs. Yeah, I know he was from an agrarian society, but aboriginal humans all over the wold look similar to him when they eat their natural diet. I do not believe they are all living horrid, marginalized lives, either, or that even most of them are. I think that's a myth.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    I can only speak from experience of my corner of the world, but I don't think any south pacific islander is marginalized or living a horrid life, but I can confirm that Australian Aborigines are definitely marginalized and living a life not many would envy.

I also think some Polynesians living a traditional life back in the day may have easily weighed 200lb or more. They are just genetically a big people. I was at an indigenous music festival a few years back and I was looking at some Tongan or Samoan girls and their hands were big.. life Seinfeld 'man hands' big. They were brutal seafaring warriors back in the day so maybe that's what they required from their genes
    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast