Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood sugar spikes, are they really that bad? page

biko is offline Senior Member

Blood sugar spikes, are they really that bad?

Primal Fuel
    Are they?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    The debate rages on.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Some will say not but high levels of glucose in the blood are damaging to blood vessels and organs. Glucose reacts with proteins in the endothelium causing hardening of blood vessels. It is why one of the unfortunate effects of diabetes in necrosis of extremities followed by amputation. For most people glucose isn't a problem as insulin takes care of it if it goes high.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    No.

But.

Modern western diets have lots of glucose spikes that spike quickly and spike large through out a day. This happens everyday and IMO wears out the glucose handling mechanisms of the body.

Slower smaller spikes that happen less frequently are good for the body, the body luvs glucose.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biko View Post
    Are they?
    Blood sugar spikes ? No, they are just what they are: eat carbs, you get blood sugar rising.
    What is not so good is if your metabolic response is weak. A healthy metabolism will quickly handle this rise in BG and return to basal levels of insulin fairly fast. A type 2 diabetic will have much more problems dealing with the BG rise, insulin will take much longer to deal with it and probably leave some high level of glucose in the blood even after many hours.

So if you are insulin sensitive, no diabetic condition, BG spikes are fine. If you feel funny a couple of hours after ingesting lots of carbs (so-called sugar crash) you may want to go easy on them, prolong inter-prandial time (often called intermittent fasting around here).
    Last edited by FrenchFry; 10-18-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Blood sugar spikes ? No, they are just what they are: eat carbs, you get blood sugar rising.
    What is not so good is if your metabolic response is weak. A healthy metabolism will quickly handle this rise in BG and return to basal levels of insulin fairly fast. A type 2 diabetic will have much more problems dealing with the BG rise, insulin will take much longer to deal with it and probably leave some high level of glucose in the blood even after many hours.

So if you are insulin sensitive, no diabetic condition, BG spikes are fine. If you feel funny a couple of hours after ingesting lots of carbs (so-called sugar crash) you may want to go easy on them, prolong inter-prandial time (often called intermittent fasting around here).
    I only crash if I have like a lot of rice or huge deserts etc. When I was still eating bread, that would floor me, after lunch I coudn't get any work done.

Thanks.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    I only crash if I have like a lot of rice or huge deserts etc. When I was still eating bread, that would floor me, after lunch I coudn't get any work done.
    yeah, wheat bread is a "bitch" ... I ditched it 2 years ago and it changed a lot of things. For the rice, stir-fry, refried after 24h in the fridge should be less glycemic due to resistant starches. Same with potatoes. Find posts by otzi on the matter of resistant starches.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    yeah, wheat bread is a "bitch" ... I ditched it 2 years ago and it changed a lot of things. For the rice, stir-fry, refried after 24h in the fridge should be less glycemic due to resistant starches. Same with potatoes. Find posts by otzi on the matter of resistant starches.
    Thanks.
    Yeah I prepare lentils the way Otzi suggested, they no longer bloat me.
    Will try with the rice, sweet potato seems no problem.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Are they?
    They are bad if the body doesn't have enough defenses built up against glycation end products to protect the mitochondrial DNA. I would suggest most people take magnesium to help as a basic defense. Other things that can help include Coq10, Carnosine, R-Lipoic Acid, and benfotiamine. I am posting a great multi part series on the importance of optimal functioning mitochondria.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, itís all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    A healthy body won't "spike", it will quickly and tightly regulate BG. A well-composed meal will lower the difficulty level of doing so.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast