Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats best milk OR breakfast alternates page

spursberry is offline Member

Whats best milk OR breakfast alternates

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi

Been Paleo for just over a month (and close to Paleo without realising it for a lot longer) but I suffer from a lot of food intolerances that makes a lot of stuff I'd like to do with Paleo not possible.

Anyway - no sob story, just wanted to some friendly advice and help!

Firstly I can't have Eggs or Olives (anything with them inc Olive Oil)

I therefore have porridge or bran flakes in morning. I'd love something else but this fits with time and allergies/intolerances

I use semi-skimmed, this week I'm trying Almond Milk. I know of 0% fat and 1% Fat - was wondering what the best milk to use it? Obviously if I haven't mentioned one please suggest something totally new

Or - what else can I have in morning that will keep me going until lunch and doesn't involve eggs - as much as I'd love them!

Thanks
    UK PBer

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hello,
    Maybe some ideas here:
    - full fat sheep yogurt
    - bananas
    - good old organic grass fed cheese (I am biased with cheese as I am French)
    - some meat (lamb, beef) or meat sausages
    - dinner leftovers ? stir-fried rice or potatoes are nice.

or like me: nothing but black coffee in the morning ?

poing is offline Member
    Some of the things I've had recently:

Full fat greek yoghurt with berries and a sprinkle of walnuts
    A couple slices bacon, a couple of tomatoes, and half an avocado (husband looked like he wished he'd got this too!)
    Carrot salad (made previously with carrots, raisins, lemon juice/oil dressing) then poached pears.
    Fried mashed potato, courgette and tomatoes with swiss cheese
    Leftover beef stew

I don't have to rush out of the door, but none of these things took more than 10 minutes to make.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    When you talk about almond milk...do you mean the crap in carton with a massive ton of fillers and preservatives? Cause that shit ain't anywhere primal.

And neither are bran flakes or porridge, while we're at it.

I would also recommend Greek yogurt and leftovers, but I'm not a terribly creative breakfast eater, never having been a breakfast person myself.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

French-Fry and Poing - thank you very much! Most helpful!

Sadly I can't eat Yoghurt or Bananas but I shall look into the rest

Damiana - Yes sadly that is the stuff but trying to find cows milk alternatives. I'm aware about the bran and porridge but as I say at the mo I'm struggling to find healthy alternates that aren't eating bacon etc everyday - due to expense more than anything!

A quick aside - when we talk about sausages here are we talking your normal cumberland sausages etc that supermarket sell or a particular brand/type/meat?

Thanks for your help so far everyone
    UK PBer

Leida is offline Senior Member
    if you want to continue using grain, I suggest that you diversify your porriges from the world of oatmeal towards millet and buckwheat.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thank you Leida - I shall look into it (not Millet sadly as I'm intolerant) but I shall look at Buckwheat

It's not that I "want" to continue using grain - it's just finding sustainable (for me - i.e money and when talking of breakfast - time! (Happy to make stuff the night before tho)) options.
    UK PBer

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    May I ask why you can't eat yogurt, but you can have milk? Do you have access to goat milk & does that exacerbate any allergies? I find I can tolerate goat milk, but not cow milk.

I would recommend that you cook ahead of time or keep a container of leftovers ready for the week (make a batch of soup solely for breakfasts, for example, or a primal shepard's pie).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It's not that I "want" to continue using grain - it's just finding sustainable (for me - i.e money and when talking of breakfast - time! (Happy to make stuff the night before tho)) options.
    I understand. Have you tried soups or hot broth with veggies or meat or fish? I prefer hot, liquid breakfasts myself.
    Can you tolerate cheese? If yes, cheese and tomatoes are awesome.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes people get hung up on what breakfast foods are. But there really are no "right" foods for breakfast. Anything you can eat for any other meal is fine for breakfast. Some people here cook enough for their last meal of the day so that they can heat up leftovers for breakfast the next day.

Somewhere there is a post by Mark about a five minute salad. Basically, he keeps all the things he likes in a salad chopped up and in bins in the fridge. When it's time to make it, he pulls out the bins and assembles it. You could do something like that for stir fries.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast