Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Menu Thoughts? page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

BBQ Menu Thoughts?

Primal Fuel
    I am having a few close friends over for a BBQ this weekend. Usually when I have a large function I make up several low carb items for myself, and then let others bring whatever and I just avoid those. But my husband is now on the Primal bandwagon, and its a small group of friends, so I would like to make the whole spread Primal.

Right now here is what we have:
    -Raw veggies with balsamic dip
    -Pork Ribs
    -Another grilled meat (need to browse the freezer)
    -Coleslaw

...and at that point I am drawing a blank. I need another side, another appetizer, and dessert of some sort.

I have time, going to a large farmers market the day before, and I am not scared of new recipes. Any thoughts?

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    For dessert, you could throw some skewers of assorted fruit on the grill and serve with homemade unsweetened whipped cream
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    One of my favourite BBQ sides is grilled asparagus marinated in evoo/red wine vinegar/sea salt & fresh ground pepper. Marinate for 30 min to a few hours, then throw directly on the grill until tender-crisp. Return to dish with marinade.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    If you are grilling, I would add a grilled vegetable salad (grill zucchini, eggplant, peppers, and onions, chop with a vinaigrette and basil, feta optional), grilled sweet potatoes would be great; and for dessert grilled peaches and whipped cream.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Great suggestions. A little low carb Bailey's Irish Cream drizzled over the grilled fruit before adding the whipped cream is a nice touch.

Mel
    Mel is offline Member
    how about guacamole as a dip with veggies or with pork rinds.

to put those pork rinds to good use, you could also, if you eat dairy, put together a 7 layer dip (well 6 because there wouldn't be any beans ) of course you'd have to make your own spice mixture - but it tastes better anyway!

also, a lot of cheese ball recipes are adaptable to primal eating - just serve with pork rinds or some veggies!

also - i made a seafood dip the other day that was soo good. it was cream cheese, covered with homemade cocktail sauce (homemade ketchup mixed with horseradish) and then covered with shredded crab. mmmmmmmmm

also, pickles and cheese cubes make quick and easy finger foods.

good luck and have fun!
    A goal without a plan is just a wish.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Ohhh, great ideas....keep 'em coming!!

I am making a list of things to keep an eye out for at the farmers market on Saturday so far.....

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    If you chop red peppers, aubergine, zucchini, onion and tomatoes into even sized pieces, slather with olive oil and some dried thyme / oregano, then put them on a roasting tin, they can go on the grill and come out as a very tasty roasted ratatouille.

Scott553 is offline Junior Member
    Baby spinach salad:

Bunch of raw baby spinach
    toasted pine nuts (a good handfull toasted in a dry skillet)
    chopped apple (2 apples should be enough)
    crumbled raw goat's cheese (not much... it goes a long way)

With a simple dressing:

1 tsp mustard
    1 tsp honey
    1 tsp water
    2 tbls xtra virgin olive oil
    1 tbls fresh oregano, chopped
    pinch of salt
    pinch of pepper

Whisk everything but the oil together in a bowl, then slowly start drizzling in the oil while whisking to mix. Then just toss it with the salad in a big bowl.

This is the salad I'll have with leftover grilled chicken or steak for a PB lunch.

JamieBelle is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    If you chop red peppers, aubergine, zucchini, onion and tomatoes into even sized pieces, slather with olive oil and some dried thyme / oregano, then put them on a roasting tin, they can go on the grill and come out as a very tasty roasted ratatouille.
    That was my dinner last night though I also threw in some jumbo shrimp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast