Thread: Planks - standard and alternative page

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member

Planks - standard and alternative

When I searched the forum for tips on planks, there is a focus on the traditional method. Has anyone tried some of these alternatives? The reasoning for them seems solid. My lower back is super-tender lately and it's sure to be because the core has been ignored for a while. I'd like to try these and am curious what alternative versions other people have used. (many of these emulate yoga poses)

The Planks You Should Be Doing (But Probably Aren't) - Q by Equinox

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    So many planks in yoga! Down dog to plank to chataranga to up dog to down dog is all one big awesome plank. And side plank with top leg bent or extended is so good. I like regular and forearm planks to exhaustion also.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    yes! even as i wrote that, it seemed obvious--should just go do my damn yoga! have some classes left on my card at the local studio.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    For a while I was hanging weight from my dip/chin up stand and would crawl underneath so I could take the weight on my back when in the plank position. I worked up to over 100 lbs for sets of 1 minute. Really worked the core hard !

In my opinion if you are able to hold any plank for more than a minute then it's time to add some resistance.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    yes! even as i wrote that, it seemed obvious--should just go do my damn yoga! have some classes left on my card at the local studio.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post

In my opinion if you are able to hold any plank for more than a minute then it's time to add some resistance.
    SPK- you can also do planks and yoga at home- or damn near anywhere for that matter.

You can add resistance in the side plank by bending the top leg (foot to knee) and holding, or by grabbing the big toe and pulling the leg up perpendicular to the body and holding there. Like this:

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    SPK- you can also do planks and yoga at home- or damn near anywhere for that matter.

You can add resistance in the side plank by bending the top leg (foot to knee) and holding, or by grabbing the big toe and pulling the leg up perpendicular to the body and holding there. Like this:

Great idea, I was doing side planks for a while and holding a dumbbell in the hand that you are using to hold your foot........didn't look anywhere near as elegant as you do though, LOL !