Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many carbs are in Sweet'n Low? page

na5m is offline Junior Member

How many carbs are in Sweet'n Low?

Primal Fuel
    The box of Sweet'n Low packets that I bought states that each serving (one packet) contains less than one gram of carbohydrate. I'd like to know exactly how much less. I mean, what if I use three of these packets to sweeten my cup of coffee? If each packet contains, say, 0.9 grams, then I've just had 2.7 grams of carbs!

So, if I drink four cups of coffee thoughout the day, then I may have had 10.8 grams of carbs from Sweet'n Low alone! To err way on the side of caution, it would be best if I assume that each packet contains 0.99 grams of carbs.

Unfortunately, the FDA allows Sweet'n Low packaging to say "Zero Calories" when in fact, each packet has exactly four calories. The packaging also says that each packet contains "0% Daily Value Total Carbohydrate" when in fact there are "Less Than One Gram" of carbs per packet.

Maybe I should just accustom myself to one single packet of Sweet'n Lie (I mean Low )
    Any thoughts?

you couldn't pay me to consume that poison. what's wrong with sugar?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by na5m View Post
    The box of Sweet'n Low packets that I bought states that each serving (one packet) contains less than one gram of carbohydrate. I'd like to know exactly how much less. I mean, what if I use three of these packets to sweeten my cup of coffee? If each packet contains, say, 0.9 grams, then I've just had 2.7 grams of carbs!
    If you use three of those things in a cup of coffee, you hate coffee. Stop drinking coffee. Problem solved.

So, if I drink four cups of coffee thoughout the day, then I may have had 10.8 grams of carbs from Sweet'n Low alone! To err way on the side of caution, it would be best if I assume that each packet contains 0.99 grams of carbs.
    No, I think it would have to have less than 0.5g carbs to be labeled as 0. 4 cups of coffee with 3 sweet n lows is almost as much as they give the rats in the cancer studies. Yuck.

Unfortunately, the FDA allows Sweet'n Low packaging to say "Zero Calories" when in fact, each packet has exactly four calories. The packaging also says that each packet contains "0% Daily Value Total Carbohydrate" when in fact there are "Less Than One Gram" of carbs per packet.

Maybe I should just accustom myself to one single packet of Sweet'n Lie (I mean Low )
    Any thoughts?
    You are missing the forest for the trees. You're worried about a few dozen calories that come from your chemistry lab-created artificial sweetener. You're better off with real sugar, as NOTR said.

I'm going to be an optimist and hope your right, RichMahogany, with the 0.5 grams of carbs/packet. And you are right. I do sometimes (Well, a lot of times. Well, most of the time ) miss the forest for the trees. I just wish food packagers weren't allowed to "round down" to zero. Just tell us consumers the truth about what is in your food we're eating.

BTW, I'm just finishing week one of the Induction Phase of my Atkins / Primal diet. I feel sooo much more energetic living low-carb!

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I'm cracking up.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

I'm going to be an optimist and hope your right, RichMahogany, with the 0.5 grams of carbs/packet. And you are right. I do sometimes (Well, a lot of times. Well, most of the time ) miss the forest for the trees. I just wish food packagers weren't allowed to "round down" to zero. Just tell us consumers the truth about what is in your food we're eating.

BTW, I'm just finishing week one of the Induction Phase of my Atkins / Primal diet. I feel sooo much more energetic living low-carb!
    Have you read the Primal Blueprint?

I haven't , but I will now

EDIT: errrrr.. which Primal Blueprint? Not sure what you mean. Please post a link for me. Thanks!
    Last edited by na5m; 10-17-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: New question

I haven't , but I will now
    Good idea! (Wish I'd thought of it).

RichMahogany: errrrr.. which Primal Blueprint? Not sure what you mean. Please post a link for me. Thanks!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    RichMahogany: errrrr.. which Primal Blueprint? Not sure what you mean. Please post a link for me. Thanks!
    THE one and only Primal Blueprint. google it. or just click the nifty picture of it at the top of the page. or click up top where it says "the store". you'll figure it out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast