Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educate me about gelatin page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Educate me about gelatin

Shop Now
    Today I was sitting in class sipping a vitamin water zero (it's stevia sweetened so I consider it totally benign health-wise) and was struck with a thought: if I added a little gelatin, this could make an awesome jell-o. The problem is I've never cooked with gelatin before, although I have seen the powdered gelatin in the supermarket before. Is the powdered variety (Knox brand) considered primal, or is there some benefit to seeking out the sheets? Thanks in advance!

Edit: two more questions... 1. How is it as a source of protein? I've read it's an incomplete protein... True? 2. Are excitotoxins an issue? That word keeps popping up on my google search.
    Last edited by PrimalStudent; 10-16-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    This is the article I read that inspired my post yesterday about gelatin and how much I should eat...

Gelatin, stress, longevity

max219 is offline Senior Member
    I've been using Great Lakes powdered gelatin, but I think Knox is basically the same. To make the jello just warm the liquid in a pot til it's very warm, then pour the gelatin into the liquid slowly and stir so it dissolves in it. You can then just pour it into a bowl, or if you want to be fancy maybe put it into shapes using some sort of tray or whatever (I don't know, I'm not fancy).

I believe Great Lakes is better quality, but from what I've heard Derpamix say the quality doesn't matter much since it's just protein and doesn't include fat.

I use it as a source of protein and other health benefits. I haven't looked into if it is complete or not.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka5280 View Post
    This is the article I read that inspired my post yesterday about gelatin and how much I should eat...

Gelatin, stress, longevity
    That was very interesting. Time for some personal experimentation.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    So how much gelatin do people eat? One ounce of gelatin = 6 cups of stiff broth or dessert, if you're eating it as part of soup or a recipe.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I use the hydrolyzed Great Lakes because I don't want it to gell. I have 2 TBS in my morning cup of coffee and usually another TBS in a mug of bone broth in the afternoon. I do have a can of their regular gelatin that jells, but I don't find myself using it much. I will use it when the weather warms up. It makes a great fudge pop.

I like that it comes from grass fed bovines because it means they aren't feed lot cattle. Derp is right though, any toxins are stored in the fat and there is no fat in gelatin.

The sheet gelatin is used by chefs, but there is no nutritional difference.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

So you get about an ounce a day.

I've been making fruit juice gelatin for my boyfriend, but that's more because it can't spill if it bounces around in his bag.

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    I have been drinking gelatine. Basically I buy these stock cubes by Kallo (gluten free, organic, decent ingredients). I make a stock and add the gelatine powder. I thought it might be good for nails, hair etc. it tastes good anyway. I just bought normal powdered gelatine from the cake section

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Fruit juice gelatin is perfect. I swear my chronic back and neck pains (one back surgery and two neck surgeries) are almost nil since I've been on the gelatin.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong with fruit juice gelatin except that 6 cups of juice a day is more than I should drink. So if I do have any, I don't count it toward my total.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast