Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long does PUFA stay in your body? page

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member

How long does PUFA stay in your body?

Primal Fuel
    Let's assume I ate a SAD diet for many years so my body is totally riddled with gram after gram of polyunsaturated fat. Let's also assume I have approximately 60 lbs of body fat and 150 lbs of lean mass. (Because I do.)

Assuming I was immediately able to reduce my PUFA intake to <10g per day, how long would it take before it was replaced with healthier fat? Would it matter if I improved my body composition to go from ~28% fat to ~12%?

Trying to get a handle on how fast I can reverse the damage and what the best strategy is to do so.

Thanks!

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    You'll never be PUFA-free but it can take up to 4 years to get rid of excess.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Thanks j3nn. Do you have a source for that? Any idea what the mechanism is for removing it?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It's just as your body mobilises the fat stored in your adipose tissue.

And yes, reducing your bf% is a great way to liberate the PUFAs stored in your body.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    It's an excellent question but I'm not sure anyone can answer it with certainty (analyzing a live person's adipose is not common). Maybe browse the citations here.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    It's an excellent question but I'm not sure anyone can answer it with certainty (analyzing a live person's adipose is not common). Maybe browse the citations here.
    Thanks Pete! PHD is my other favorite nutrition resource, although I have to say trying to wade through the actual studies tends to make my brain hurt. I'll give those a look.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    the half-life of adipose tissue is about 600 days. 1,6 the fractional turnover rate 2/t which is 0.12% per day, so it's completely replaced in about 800 to 900 days. can shorten this though.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    You'll never be PUFA-free but it can take up to 4 years to get rid of excess.
    I saw a study that a heavy coconut oil diet can cause you to be completely EFA deficient in a few years. I'll link it when I get home.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka5280 View Post
    Thanks Pete! PHD is my other favorite nutrition resource, although I have to say trying to wade through the actual studies tends to make my brain hurt. I'll give those a look.
    PJ has visited a ton of podcasts. I think in one he mentioned that the big active tissues have a mechanism in place to disfavor poly as an energy substrate to preserve it for it's other functions but adipose doesn't discriminate so when we consume soybean-oil levels that's where the overspill will pile up. Thankfully I'm pretty sure they keep circulating and offering themselves to the furnace so any intake reduction will help, especially during periods of net adipose efflux (weight loss).
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Dunno, but I hope it's not too long. *looks at the mini can of Pringles she just ate* Vegetable oil... I am terrible when I go to the office.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast