Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long does PUFA stay in your body? page 3

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I wish I could tolerate high amounts of coconut; my tolerance is somewhere between a lick and none.
    could be worse
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Ha, yikes. Last time I was in FL I commented to my husband about people walking under the palm trees and wondered if the coconuts fell and hurt anyone. I guess this answers that. O_O

Also, in that sign's picture, anyone find it hilarious that the father has a lollipop and not the kid? lol
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Also, in that sign's picture, anyone find it hilarious that the father has a lollipop and not the kid? lol
    I imagine all civil decency is suspended during a cocopocalypse
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Giblets is offline Member
    For a good discussion of PUFAs check this out: Mary Enig, Phd versus Ray Peat, Phd

She says that the coconut oil studies (re EFA deficiency) use fully hydrogenated coconut oil, and are therefore seriously flawed. She also indicates that Ray Peat is mostly full of BS in this area, because his training was in hormone therapy and his knowledge of fat and oil metabolism is limited to misinformation (her words, not mine).

So it boils down to who you think is more full of BS -- Dr. Enig or Dr. Peat. Anyway, here's the link ...

A Reply to Ray Peat on Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency - Weston A Price Foundation

edited for grammar ...
    Last edited by Giblets; 10-19-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

My diet? Very low carb to initially lose weight, then moderate carbs (the past 12 years) for effortless weight maintenance. For me, the "carb curve" works like a charm. Once a week or so, I eat only one meal during the day (at late evening), as sort of a mini-fast.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Giblets View Post
    For a good discussion of PUFAs check this out: Mary Enig, Phd versus Ray Peat, Phd

She says that the coconut oil studies (re EFA deficiency) use fully hydrogenated coconut oil, and are therefore seriously flawed. She also indicates that Ray Peat is mostly full of BS in this area, because his training was in hormone therapy and his knowledge of fat and oil metabolism is limited to misinformation (her words, not mine).

So it boils down to who you think is more full of BS -- Dr. Enig or Dr. Peat. Anyway, here's the link ...

A Reply to Ray Peat on Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency - Weston A Price Foundation

edited for grammar ...
    That article is full of strawmen and misquotation. Ray Peat has said more than once that EFAs are unavoidable, so a deficiency is improbable. She needs to quantify how much the minimum is as well as the maximum as she asserted too much is unhealthy. Hmm. Isn't that what Peat says as well? Where are the studies that define what the minimum amount is? And if there's a minimum, we need to define the maximum to avoid dis-ease, as she alluded to. Ray Peat has at least quantified his recommendations, Enig failed to do so in that article.

She also neglects to mention that Peat is a biologist; she gives the impression that he's more like a confused endocrinologist whose area of expertise isn't how the metabolism functions.
    Last edited by j3nn; 10-19-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123