Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Yet another cholesterol thread page

  1. #1
    howardroark's Avatar
    howardroark is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    36

    Thumbs down Yet another cholesterol thread

    Shop Now
    Sorry for another cholesterol thread, but I need some feedback. I am a 25 year old male, I've been eating clean paleo (closest to PHD at the moment) for about 5 months now, been lifting heaving, sprinting, etc. Yet, my cholesterol has jumped up big time. My father has high cholesterol as well, leading my PCP to conclude that I have Familial Hypercholesterolemia without actually testing. So with that conclusion, he has prescribed me 10 mg of Lipitor.

    Fasting numbers:
    TC 296
    HDL 76
    LDL (direct measurement) 207
    TG 72

    From what I read about thyroid function and high LDL, I had my PCP check my thyroid:
    TSH 2.23 (supposedly "normal")

    The really weird thing: I just had my cholesterol checked a week and a half ago. My numbers came out high, but I was not fasting. The doctor said it was fine, given that they were testing my LDL directly. Anyways, my numbers were lower when I was not fasting!

    Non-fasting (from a week and half ago):
    TC 266
    HDL 61
    LDL (direct measurement) 177
    TG 81

    I am very confused, and annoyed. Given my family history, I don't think any doc is going to differ on his treatment method. Any opinions here?

  2. #2
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,716
    I think it takes more symptoms and signs than just having a family member with slightly high cholesterol to warrant a diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia. Your doctor is reaching.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

  3. #3
    howardroark's Avatar
    howardroark is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think it takes more symptoms and signs than just having a family member with slightly high cholesterol to warrant a diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia. Your doctor is reaching.
    I think he got nervous when I told him that my father had a quadruple bypass. Tunnel vision thereafter.

  4. #4
    TheyCallMeLazarus's Avatar
    TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
    Posts
    998
    I really hate to toot my own horn, but you should really get your eyes looked at.....it is one of the best ways to detect famililal Hchol. It is often very visible in the retina to a degree it is otherwise well-hidden.

    Get an appt with any optometrist and let them know you want it looked at. It won't change the PCP's mind, but it is a way to confirm.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

  5. #5
    howardroark's Avatar
    howardroark is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I really hate to toot my own horn, but you should really get your eyes looked at.....it is one of the best ways to detect famililal Hchol. It is often very visible in the retina to a degree it is otherwise well-hidden.

    Get an appt with any optometrist and let them know you want it looked at. It won't change the PCP's mind, but it is a way to confirm.
    My father is an optometrist I'll ask him about it. However, would that present itself only in homozygous FH?

  6. #6
    howardroark's Avatar
    howardroark is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I really hate to toot my own horn, but you should really get your eyes looked at.....it is one of the best ways to detect famililal Hchol. It is often very visible in the retina to a degree it is otherwise well-hidden.

    Get an appt with any optometrist and let them know you want it looked at. It won't change the PCP's mind, but it is a way to confirm.
    My father is an optometrist I'll ask him about it. However, would that present itself only in homozygous FH?

  7. #7
    rory535's Avatar
    rory535 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    35

    Yet another cholesterol thread

    Lower the Saturated fat and see if your numbers drop, if they do it's not FH. That simple! Taking a statin when you eat a high fat diet? Yeah that sounds logical.

  8. #8
    faredoon's Avatar
    faredoon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65
    You're just another case for your doctor. My visit to a cardiologist also had the same diagnosis - hypercholesterolaemia or hyperlipidemia. My cholesterol numbers currently are as low as they can be because I moved away from saturated fats and most red meats once I got the first report with high cholesterol numbers. That's a choice I made.

    Get more tests done, if there are any that can help. Taking a statin at 25 years of age is not normal, IMHO.

  9. #9
    howardroark's Avatar
    howardroark is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by faredoon View Post
    You're just another case for your doctor. My visit to a cardiologist also had the same diagnosis - hypercholesterolaemia or hyperlipidemia. My cholesterol numbers currently are as low as they can be because I moved away from saturated fats and most red meats once I got the first report with high cholesterol numbers. That's a choice I made.

    Get more tests done, if there are any that can help. Taking a statin at 25 years of age is not normal, IMHO.
    I was thinking about paying for an NMR out of pocket. I'm guessing my LDL-P will be high as well, but there's a chance it could be discordant with my LDL-C. I'm also waiting on 23andme results. I am hoping it can shed some light on the FH and on my ApoE. If I am definitely FH and/or have an ApoE 4, I think I would have to abandon my current way of eating. I'm also thinking about getting a full thyroid panel done, given that my doctor only gave me my TSH. I'm mostly interested in my T3 levels.

    A big question I have for you: if you abandoned red meat and still eat meat, do you not worry about omega 6 content? That's mostly why I eat read meat today: chicken and pork have high levels of omega 6, so I stay away. If I eliminated red meat and still tried to eliminate omega 6, I think I would have to be something akin to a pescetarian (do not want).

    My final thought: I have lost a total of around 35 lbs in 4 months. Could my LDL be elevated because of that, or should it have normalized by now?

  10. #10
    faredoon's Avatar
    faredoon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65
    In that sense, I'm pretty much a pescitarian for the moment, and have moved away from Primal/Paleo, I forgot to mention that.
    Can't speculate on the causes of the lipid results. In my case too, TSH was all that the doctor insisted on. He refused to do anything further till the lipid numbers were within "normal" limits. In fact he immediately referred me to a cardiologist (because I had other symptoms that freaked him out even more added to the fact that I have a family history of CVD).

    It's a tough call for any person in this situation. I chose not to torment myself with these tests and what not. I don't have the "saturated fat" bravado anymore. I'm probably an anomaly on this forum, so take my comments with a pinch of salt.

    Quote Originally Posted by howardroark View Post
    I was thinking about paying for an NMR out of pocket. I'm guessing my LDL-P will be high as well, but there's a chance it could be discordant with my LDL-C. I'm also waiting on 23andme results. I am hoping it can shed some light on the FH and on my ApoE. If I am definitely FH and/or have an ApoE 4, I think I would have to abandon my current way of eating. I'm also thinking about getting a full thyroid panel done, given that my doctor only gave me my TSH. I'm mostly interested in my T3 levels.

    A big question I have for you: if you abandoned red meat and still eat meat, do you not worry about omega 6 content? That's mostly why I eat read meat today: chicken and pork have high levels of omega 6, so I stay away. If I eliminated red meat and still tried to eliminate omega 6, I think I would have to be something akin to a pescetarian (do not want).

    My final thought: I have lost a total of around 35 lbs in 4 months. Could my LDL be elevated because of that, or should it have normalized by now?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •