Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meal planning with non-primal partner page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member

Meal planning with non-primal partner

Primal Fuel
    I'm calling out to all those who live with people who are on a non-primal diet.

My bf is the cook at home, I asked him to cook Primal meals for me and he is doing that every night. Usually he makes fries, rice or pasta next to it for himself. He doesn't mind living on meat and veggies but as we aren't really inspired by any veggies on sale here in the markets it's difficult to find different dishes. We usually end up eating meat, salad and sweet potato fries.

Yesterday was the first time since I start primal that we didn't have a meal planned. which meant we were totally stuck, my bf wanted to eat something filling (pasta, pizza, rice) so just meat was out. we had a few eggs but not enough to make a omelet big enough for the both of us and there were no veggies in the house...

It's becoming an issue since I do not know enough recipes for Primal yet and he doesn't like to eat a meal with out wheat or potatoes in it...

So I'm asking how do you get on with your non-primal family with food? do you make two different dishes? Do you plan?
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest:
    - teff or buckwheat pasta
    - pizza crust made out of tapioca / rice / potato starch mixed up with parmigiano reggiano, milk and an egg. You can actually make a really good "pâte sablée" with such a "flour" mix and butter. It can be used for quiche, pizzas, etc.
    - veggies: what do you mean ? fruits-as-veggies like tomatoes / cucumber, etc ? You can also use starchy stuff like butternut squash, WHITE potatoes (more starchy, less sugary).

The only thing you can be strict on is the combo wheat-refined sugar-PUFA oil: stay wheat free, refined sugar free, PUFA free (except when naturally occurring like in fatty fish).

Anywa, if you don't know, make sure you always have buckwheat flour around. You can make super good crêpes that you canuse as wraps for veggies, etc.

- 150g BW flour
    - 3 cups of milk and / or water
    - 3 large eggs
    - salt to taste and flavor like garlic / onion / paprika powder.

Mix well, let it rest 30mn covered, heat up a crepe pan, add a little chunk of butter for every crepe, make it thin. Makes about 20 good sized crepes.

For pizza crust, tons of easy recipes out there using gluten free starch flours.

I'm going to make Meatza today for myself and normal pizza for my bf...
    Sadly I don't eat white potatoes as they cause me to bloat like crazy...

I really want to stay away from flours except coconut flour as it has the same result as potatoes...
    I'm not really good in handling starches, I guess...
    My story, My thought....

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Could be due to your gut flora ? Digesting starches without issues will definitely increase your cooking options ... maybe you could start easy and slowly build it up ? What would happen if you mixed one tbsp or even 1 tsp to start with of raw potato starch in water like 30mn before going to bed ? You can also try semi-green bananas ? or only half of one ? The gut flora is really important as far as I can read ...

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I'm the cook, so life is a bit easier. Cooking for the two of us just means doing less of the starchy thing and more vegetables for me. Usually, it's just meat/fish, potatoes/rice & veg, and I eat more veg and less potato/rice. If you want recipes... spaghetti/kale bolognese. Macaroni/cauliflower cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Could be due to your gut flora ? Digesting starches without issues will definitely increase your cooking options ... maybe you could start easy and slowly build it up ? What would happen if you mixed one tbsp or even 1 tsp to start with of raw potato starch in water like 30mn before going to bed ? You can also try semi-green bananas ? or only half of one ? The gut flora is really important as far as I can read ...
    I have had this issue for a long time, bread and potatoes are the worst, rice and pasta a bit less. It causes me to lay down in pain most of the time, but bloodwork and doctors can't find anything. So I concluded that I'm allergic to certain starches or something like that.
    It was one of the reasons Primal looked good to me... I'm a meat eater
    My story, My thought....

AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    It was one of the reasons Primal looked good to me... I'm a meat eater
    I understand. But think about your gut flora. The ancestral way of mostly meat-eating cultures to nurture it is to consume partially rotten meat ... :/

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am the cook in the family and basically, I just do whatever meat and vegetables in the forms of roasts, soups, stews and stir-fries, and from time to time I make potatoes, rice or quinoa for my folks. For an 'in a pinch' meal I make either shrimps or melted brie with fresh veggies and dehydrated sweet potato or rice crackers. Tonight I do not have much time to cook supper, so I will poach a pound of shrimp and steam-fry a head of cauliflower. I try to keep a meat stash (right now it is slow-cooked chicken hearts and gizzards) for myself, and I have no problems opening a can of sardines or tuna if I have to. If I feel like grains, I cook millet or buckwheat for myself.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I also cook for my family. Usually our meals are some sort o'meat and a couple of veg and a fruit. On the nights that I make them "normal" food, say meat and bean burritos, I am cooking only for them, and I will either have something planned, or grab up a can of tuna with some tomatoes and such.

Liftinglife is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My BF and I have the same problem, he will make rice or pasta and eat that on the side and I am eating a plate of chicken and veggies. I hate it. Sometimes it annoys me because I see him doing what I use to do, I see him being the person I have fought so hard not to be, I see the unhealthy sick fat girl who lived on grains and sugar and I feel like he might be sabotaging my willpower to resist the grains/sugars. I hate that I have to live in a house with Oreos, white rice, and bunny bread, it's like an alcoholic who's spouse keeps liquor around. I keep my mouth shut and just deal with it because I know it's in my head. I hope you find a solution that will work for you and your BF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast