Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: compound movements and isolation movements page 3

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Front delts, pectoralis minor and other muscles are contracting in barbell curl, and I am sore as hell today in my abs from the lying triceps extensions and barbell curls that I did yesterday, so I am not sure that your distinction is sound here...
    Heavy tricep pushdowns used to be one of the exercises that hit my abs the hardest !

Other than Neck, forearms and calves it's pretty hard to really isolate muscle groups.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Heavy tricep pushdowns used to be one of the exercises that hit my abs the hardest !

Other than Neck, forearms and calves it's pretty hard to really isolate muscle groups.
    Yep, you can target them though, but I find the distinction between compound and isolation movements not so fruitful...

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Yep, you can target them though, but I find the distinction between compound and isolation movements not so fruitful...
    Can we just talk about "single-joint" and "multi-joint" exercises then? With the understanding that there's such a thing as isometric contraction, and certain muscles, like abdominals, are actually more suited to being worked isometrically than concentrically/eccentrically?

It makes me laugh when people suggest that stabiliser muscles ( which are kind of a myth anyway )are not used on machines. I'd like to see someone try and push a heavy weight on a seated press without bracing their core. Some people have some crazy ideas about how the body works.

If I am doing cheating barbell curl, like I did yesterday, leaning forward, pulling the bar towards me, and hyperextend my back on the top, and also move the elbows by the contraction of the front delts and the wrist, then this must be multijoint exercise that involve at least three joints?

If I am doing cheating barbell curl, like I did yesterday, leaning forward, pulling the bar towards me, and hyperextend my back on the top, and also move the elbows by the contraction of the front delts and the wrist, then this must be multijoint exercise that involve at least three joints?
    Why are you moving your wrist? How many joints are in the top of your back?

Contracting wrist flexors for forarm involvement, the elbow, hip, knee, shoulder ankel and neck! Yep, I am pretty sure that even barbell curl involve most of the mayor joints in the body...

Contracting wrist flexors for forarm involvement, the elbow, hip, knee, shoulder ankel and neck! Yep, I am pretty sure that even barbell curl involve most of the mayor joints in the body...
    What's the opposite of reductio al absurdum?

Hey Gorbag check out Ben Pakulski's video's on youtube, he is one of the smartest bodybuilders around right now and he explains a lot about body mechanics and how they relate to what exercises are best. I think you would like his stuff.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What's the opposite of reductio al absurdum?
    If you have something to say, spit it out!

Oh yeah, my neck is sore as well after that heavy overload barbell curl yesterday...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast