Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary cholesterol results page

wehey is offline Member

Scary cholesterol results

Shop Now
    Hiya all,
    I have just had some pretty scary cholesterol results and would like some advice as my doc is trying to get me on statins.

Total 8.3 (320)
    LDL 6.12 (236)
    HDL 1.3 (50)
    Hdl ratio 6.4 (247)
    Triglycerides 2 (177)

Have been eating and training primal for 2 years now.

What do you think?

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    That ratio is the main thing that concerns me. I am not used to seeing paleos with an HDL of that number. The LDL is pretty par for the course for the diet, but an HDL of around 100 is usually seen along with it.

Two questions:
    1) What are you glucose markers looking like, as well as CRP if you have it. An A1c%, fasting BG, or a 100g glucose test would be amazingly helpful.
    2) What are you main meat sources, and how is your PUFA intake?

With this I will try to reply the best I can

"Blaming cholesterol for a heart attack is like blaming cold water for the Titanic going down.....I mean yes, there WAS cold water involved, but it HIT A DAMN ICEBURG first." -- Dr. Campbell, the smartest human I have ever met
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I agree, your HDL is too low compared to your other numbers. How much animal and dairy fat do you eat? Are you low carbing?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

wehey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    That ratio is the main thing that concerns me. I am not used to seeing paleos with an HDL of that number. The LDL is pretty par for the course for the diet, but an HDL of around 100 is usually seen along with it.

Two questions:
    1) What are you glucose markers looking like, as well as CRP if you have it. An A1c%, fasting BG, or a 100g glucose test would be amazingly helpful.
    2) What are you main meat sources, and how is your PUFA intake?

With this I will try to reply the best I can

"Blaming cholesterol for a heart attack is like blaming cold water for the Titanic going down.....I mean yes, there WAS cold water involved, but it HIT A DAMN ICEBURG first." -- Dr. Campbell, the smartest human I have ever met
    thanks for the response.
    My glucose levels are really good actually. My wife is steroid induced diabetic and so i check them regularly.
    Fasted is approx 77 (converted from UK units)
    i dont have the others that you ask for tho.
    Main meats are grass fed beef and chicken

The main reason for the test in the first place was for tiredness/fatigue......maybe this could be thyroid??

PUFA's....pretty low

wehey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I agree, your HDL is too low compared to your other numbers. How much animal and dairy fat do you eat? Are you low carbing?
    A typical day is probably 150g of carbs

a typical day would be

3x eggs scrambled in butter+ 1 avocado for bfast
    goats yogurt and banana for lunch
    beef mince / sweet potato for dins
    maybe another banana during the day

i will up the carbs a bit on training days

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I'm not aware of thyroid's connection to HDL. I thought there was some relationship between low thyroid function and high LDL though. Your trigs are sorta high and HDL sorta low for primal. Are you losing weight at the moment?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wehey View Post
    A typical day is probably 150g of carbs

a typical day would be

3x eggs scrambled in butter+ 1 avocado for bfast
    goats yogurt and banana for lunch
    beef mince / sweet potato for dins
    maybe another banana during the day

i will up the carbs a bit on training days
    Quantities? Doesn't sound like a lot of food, unless you're eating a lot of food.

wehey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm not aware of thyroid's connection to HDL. I thought there was some relationship between low thyroid function and high LDL though. Your trigs are sorta high and HDL sorta low for primal. Are you losing weight at the moment?
    I was of the understanding that Hypothyroid caused high LDL ??

I am losing weight at the moment. I have lost 4lbs in the last 6 weeks, so nothing too dramatic

wehey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Quantities? Doesn't sound like a lot of food, unless you're eating a lot of food.
    As above.....i am eating enough calories to lose 0.5 lbs approx a week. So a bit of a deficit going on at the moment. Nothing too dramatic tho.
    The tiredness has been going on for a good few months now tho, long before the weight loss thing began

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the thyroid is to improve your LDL receptors (which takes the bad LDL out of circulation).

Sounds like you are getting enough carbs for thyroid. Do you supplement with Iodine at all?

Unrelated to cholesterol, I found when I added a D3 supplement my mood and energy shot up.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast