Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scary cholesterol results page 2

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm glad others brought up thyroid. Your thyroid may be the best marker of your overall metabolic health - and not just TSH. I want TSH, T3, T4 and rT3.

Next would be an LDL pattern test.

You may also be copper deficient. Try eating oysters and BEEF liver. I'm not sure how I feel about a copper supplement, but you can look into it. I'm talking about three 4oz servings of beef liver a week every week for a month or two to get replete. Copper deficiency can cause high LDL.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-15-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

faredoon is offline Member
    Hi @wehey,

You cannot do much about the results. They're pretty much in-your-face.
    As @TheyCallMeLazarus mentioned, HDL that low is unusual for a Primal Blueprint (or shall I say Paleo) exponent.

My results were pretty much the same as yours around 2 months ago, except for the HDL (which was approx. 70, I think).

Have you thought of taking it a bit easy with the meat and mixing things up a bit? On days eat you more meat, my opinion is that a person should hit the gym (which, for e.g., I was not doing). On other days, you could give your body a break - have some legumes or beans. Don't make it a religion and let your body get used to any one thing. Let the fats metabolize; give your body the opportunity to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by wehey View Post
    Hiya all,
    I have just had some pretty scary cholesterol results and would like some advice as my doc is trying to get me on statins.

Total 8.3 (320)
    LDL 6.12 (236)
    HDL 1.3 (50)
    Hdl ratio 6.4 (247)
    Triglycerides 2 (177)

Have been eating and training primal for 2 years now.

What do you think?

wehey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yeah, the thyroid is to improve your LDL receptors (which takes the bad LDL out of circulation).

Sounds like you are getting enough carbs for thyroid. Do you supplement with Iodine at all?

Unrelated to cholesterol, I found when I added a D3 supplement my mood and energy shot up.
    Hi there.
    I am considering an iodine supplement but this is something I need to read up on as I am not yet familiar with the thyroid.

I will give up my lovely strong coffee too today (boo hoo) to see if this helps

I supplement with 5000 D3 a day

poing is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You may also be copper deficient. Try eating oysters and BEEF liver. I'm not sure how I feel about a copper supplement, but you can look into it. I'm talking about three 4oz servings of beef liver a week every week for a month or two to get replete. Copper deficiency can cause high LDL.
    I would go for the liver every time. I reckon that inorganic copper supplements can actually CAUSE copper deficiency because they fool the body into thinking there's enough copper around, when the copper that's around is biologically unavailable.

In one of those meta-analysis studies of vitamin supplements that I saw recently, copper supplements were the only supplements that were signficantly associated with an increase in mortality. Everything else was pretty much neutral.

Interestingly, the increase in Alzheimer's mirrors the time we've had copper water pipes, and the research suggests that copper/iron metabolism is almost certainly involved in some way.

Aren't oysters high in zinc rather than copper?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12