Thread: mayonnaise page

BenP is offline Member

mayonnaise

Primal Fuel
    We have something called Hellmann's mayonnaise in the UK. See https://www.hellmanns.co.uk/products/mayonnaise/

I'm not sure its very paleo although does have free range eggs at least, but I'm thinking the high polyunsats isn't that great either.

What I really love is the fact they promote it as a good source of Omega 3. But when you read the ingredients in fact it has added the Omega 3 from plant sources and still there is over 2x as much Omega 6 in it. So if we're trying to achieve a balance of 1:1 Omega 3 to 6 then surely you'd be better off without it.

I do wonder how some of these guys get away with marketing like that...

Actually I'm a food technologist by background/degree so a lot of old uni friends are working for companies like Mars and Coca Cola. I'm proud of them all - no really I am....

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    It's a common pattern: make a food because it's cheap and then find a way to market it with health claims (see: margarine). The vocabulary of those health claims is designed to help the shopper rationalize snacks and desserts. Cholesterol-free candy, iron-fortified frosted flakes, etc.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list