Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I eat 65% fat but my husband wants cereal......... page

shelleyvdp is offline Junior Member

Angry I eat 65% fat but my husband wants cereal.........

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, I've been following a primal eating plan for 4 weeks now. I've done great, losing 7.9kg and feeling a lot better in myself. I have 60kg approximately to lose, don't want to convert it to lbs for you cos it's a heck of a lot more!

My husband has been following along with me, I've been making up breakfasts ahead of time for him, and lunches too, but he has decided he cannot live without his breakfast cereal with milk. No matter how many studies I show him, not matter how much I say, look what we are gaining, he is insisting on cereal for breakfast, and sushi once a week. I'm hoping that I can convince him to do bacon and eggs on the sushi lunch day to minimise the damage. My husband has 20kg to lose.

He wants to switch to Weight watchers. I have no intention of changing my diet as it's working really well for me and those sugar anxiety attacks just have gone away, and I've had them since I was 12. He is happy for me to continue with my way of eating, he will just organise his daily points around the fact that some of the dinners I cook are more than 2/3rds of his daily points, due to my 65:30:5 macro ratio.

Finally I get to the question. If I can talk him around, will it be better for him to be on Paleo, counting these 26 grams of crappy carbohydrates into his daily limit, but following the rest of the plan, or will it cause a weight increase rather than loss, even if he's sticking to a 50g to 100g max. He's a pretty stubborn guy and I think that he would have no issues with blood sugar spikes etc as he's never had trouble before, and when he's hungry between meals, he just grabs a few nuts. So how about it? Is he better on paleo with 26g of carbs coming from things we don't eat, or on WW counting points, staying within points and eating my high fat cooking every night?

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    You may hear from some people on here who are way more strict than me, but here's my point of view: a carb is a carb. Yes, a bowl of cereal might be less nutritionally dense (in terms of vitamins/minerals) than a plate of vegetables, but if he chooses to make that trade in favor of the cereal, it's not going to throw him off the wagon. Encourage him to make a smart, healthy selection when it comes to the cereal. A plain puffed rice cereal (white rice is considered paleo by many, because it's a clean starch with the gluten removed) with almond milk and stevia sprinkled on top is really delicious, and my go-to when I'm craving cereal. To make it more satiating, he can sprinkle it with protein powder instead of stevia. And you'll be surprised -- because puffed rice grains are puffed to approximately three times the size of normal rice grains, a whole cup usually has only around 10-15g of carbs.

I have just spent half an hour searching for making my own rice cereal and finding all types of baby mush recipes and totally skipped thinking about puffed rice. Thanks! And I'm totally interested in hearing what the strict people have to say too!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    At the end of the day, your husband is an adult and is capable of deciding his own priorities. A bit of cereal and occasional sushi isn't going to kill him, when he could be eating Big Macs and twinkies on a daily basis.

Probably not the advice you wanted, but my suggestion is to lighten up. Mark said once, don't let perfect be the enemy of good. If that's all the worse hubby is eating, you're doing fantastic.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    • I eat 2/3 of my kcal at dinner almost every day, it's totally legitimate if he can adjust to it. Assuming dinner is nutritious he should absolutely join you--IME civilized meal culture is the #1 way to fix health.

• the damage of cereal isn't really "26 carbs", it's harsh grain allergens, added sugar, and mystery flavorings. If he needs AM carbs maybe suggest plain puffed rice or oats with toasted coconut chips and berries? Lots of ways to capture the experience without refined sugar and wheat, though you mentioned he's hungry between meals so protein would be better.

In the end it's his body. You can share knowledge but you can't make him care.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Thank you. I just didn't want him to start gaining terribly and go off eating this way.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    My bf isn't going to switch to primal either. He likes his 3 slices of bread and 1 cracker a day. Besides that he eats completely Primal along with me. I noticed he is loosing stomach fat with this anyway.
    So I'm pretty sure a bowl of cereal won't kill your hubs and won't derail any ideas of loosing weight.

Just make sure you get the cereal with the lowest amount of sugar and carbs to prevent a sugar crash.
    I don't know if your hubs likes granola, but you can make something me and my bf really likes:
    - mixed nuts (no peanuts) in the blender
    - add a bit of flaxseeds
    - blend it all to small pieces.

Serve it in full fat yogurt or cream

Now you can add a bit of raw honey or maple syrup in the blender or in the yoghurt/cream to sweeten it. (I do it in the cream as it keeps the blender cleaner).
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Thanks Marielle, this sounds like something he'd like as he loves nuts.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    A mixture of toasted coconut flakes, toasted almond slivers, and dried fruit makes a delicious breakfast cereal. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing either. A couple days of cereal, a couple days of paleo. Rice cereal with no sugar, milk, and fresh fruit isn't going to kill him. Maybe a little bacon on the side to keep him full would be good.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello shelleyvdp,

If you are the home cook, prepare stuff that is the least inflammatory. I would not care too much about how many carbs vs fat I would serve my spouse, as long as they are nutritious and least inflammatory. He wants cereal flakes ? Avoid gluten bearing ones (wheat, rye, etc). Milk ? Use raw unpasteurized, organic milk with its natural fat content. Make it sheep milk if you can find (cow milk can be problematic). It is the full fat milk that will satiate him. The cereals will probably not and make him hungry pretty quick after. For the main meals, don't hesitate to add a serving a potatoes (roasted) or white rice. The important thing is that there is enough digestion time between meals, say 4 or 5h. The thing to ensure is the amount of proteins. Make it adequate. Fruits are also a nice treat for dessert or condiment for a meat dish.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast