Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil to cook with and oil for salads... page

spicegirl is offline Senior Member

Oil to cook with and oil for salads...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, I'm getting confused on oils. What are some ideal oils to have around for both cooking and then to put on salads/veggies (not heating). Anything but coconut oil. I just can't tolerate it.

tnx!
    sg

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I use beef tallow, duck fat, red palm oil, ghee or the one you dislike for cooking. I find lately that I rarely (aka never) eat salads, but if I did, I would use olive oil, avocado oil or Macadamia nut oil for the dressing.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    I usually cook with coconut oil, butter, and bacon grease and use olive oil for salad dressing.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I've taken a shine to red palm oil recently. I'm using it on my hair and on a burn on my arm for the Vitamin E. That, coconut oil and butter are my three favorite, but you won't touch CO so...

Of course, the best oil is no oil. I prefer to make salad dressing out of citrus juice, vinegar and yogurt so there is nutritional quality to my salad dressings instead of just dumping refined fat everywhere. You can make pretty serious dressings and a solid ranch substitute with Greek yogurt instead of oils and it's a protein-dressing instead of a fat-dressing. Win!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Hot = ghee, lard, tallow

Cold = olive, macadamia, avocado
    I'll use high-oleic sunflower, high-oleic peanut, or toasted sesame when the specific flavor is needed
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Choco,

Thanks. Your response is very helpful. I don't do much dairy, except cultured butter (and ghee), but, I like the idea of using foods for fat versus oil. I do this, but it is always good to have reminders.

I was looking for an oil for two reasons. 1. to make mayo and 2. to use to roast veggies.

I've gotten some good ideas here, so thanks to all.

verve88 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I've taken a shine to red palm oil recently. I'm using it on my hair and on a burn on my arm for the Vitamin E. That, coconut oil and butter are my three favorite, but you won't touch CO so...

Of course, the best oil is no oil. I prefer to make salad dressing out of citrus juice, vinegar and yogurt so there is nutritional quality to my salad dressings instead of just dumping refined fat everywhere. You can make pretty serious dressings and a solid ranch substitute with Greek yogurt instead of oils and it's a protein-dressing instead of a fat-dressing. Win!
    Valid point that you don't just need oil to make a dressing, sounds tasty (if you can tolerate dairy) but I don't see why fat would be such a problem?

I drown my salads and meals in olive oil after cooking (usually heated in coconut oil, bacon fat, or olive oil if it's low heat)
    This way I'm sure to be getting adequate fat in my diet..
    I even ask for olive oil at restaurants to pour on my food.. !!

Fat is not a bad thing, it's our bodies preferred fuel.
    If anyone says otherwise, they're either misinformed (easily done..) or lieing.

http://chriskresser.com/the-saturate...y-five-seconds

Quote Originally Posted by verve88 View Post
    Fat is not a bad thing, it's our bodies preferred fuel.
    If anyone says otherwise, they're either misinformed (easily done..) or lieing.

The saturated fat myth debunked in two minutes and thirty five seconds
    I strongly disagree. Fat is or preferred storage medium - it is what our body stores as fat in almost all cases. Your body will preferentially burn glucose in the place of fat. That's what your brain runs on, and what your muscles prefer. I believe carbohydrate to correlate toward health much more than fat. Most societies that do not suffer modern disease eat lower fat diets with carbs in the 70+% range of total calories.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl View Post
    I was looking for an oil for two reasons. 1. to make mayo and 2. to use to roast veggies.
    My preference:
    1. sunflower was the least horrible option but in most cases sour cream emulsified with lemon is tastier/easier/healthier
    2. shake in a bag with melted tallow, vinegar, and salt
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Why not use ghee or bacon grease for mayo? Both should work fine. Or mix 50/50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast