Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of coffee to help lose belly fat? page 2

BenP is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    You mean, in your opinion 5'7", 167 lbs is still fat? Or are you using widely publicized, antiquated height/weight charts?

I am 5'6", 165 pounds and that is my body in my avatar. Am I fat?
    See here for more evidence: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d93712-30.html

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I think that there is very unconvincing evidence that caffeine causes weight gain, and I get very tired of the constant "stress = cortisol = fat" garbage.....

Our bodies are MEANT to handle stress, and most of what we handle is child's play compared to our ancestors or most animals. Constant stress is bad, but that is a psychological problem, not a physical one. If you live in this country, have internet to read this and a job to afford the bill, you are doing better than 95% of people alive. Be happy.

My N=1 is that I have been a caffeine drinker my entire adult life. I do 1 or 2 in the morning, another in the afternoon after I break my fast to stop the calorie/circadian rhythm "siesta" reflex I don't touch it after about 4pm though. Sleep like a brick.

Targeting caffeine is an ultimate "trees over forest" idea. If one is 7% and wants to be 5.5% and borderline dead, ok, I will listen....getting to more reasonable goals is about the macro. In this order:

1) No excess PUFA, no seed oils
    2) Don't eat every 3 hours. Train at least the ability to fast.
    3) Don't eat retarded food. If it requires a machine to do anything but slice it up, don't eat it.

Done. Just wrote my own diet book Good luck. Looks like you are kicking ass already!
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

BenP is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I think that there is very unconvincing evidence that caffeine causes weight gain, and I get very tired of the constant "stress = cortisol = fat" garbage.....

Our bodies are MEANT to handle stress, and most of what we handle is child's play compared to our ancestors or most animals. Constant stress is bad, but that is a psychological problem, not a physical one. If you live in this country, have internet to read this and a job to afford the bill, you are doing better than 95% of people alive. Be happy.

My N=1 is that I have been a caffeine drinker my entire adult life. I do 1 or 2 in the morning, another in the afternoon after I break my fast to stop the calorie/circadian rhythm "siesta" reflex I don't touch it after about 4pm though. Sleep like a brick.

Targeting caffeine is an ultimate "trees over forest" idea. If one is 7% and wants to be 5.5% and borderline dead, ok, I will listen....getting to more reasonable goals is about the macro. In this order:

1) No excess PUFA, no seed oils
    2) Don't eat every 3 hours. Train at least the ability to fast.
    3) Don't eat retarded food. If it requires a machine to do anything but slice it up, don't eat it.

Done. Just wrote my own diet book Good luck. Looks like you are kicking ass already!
    Like your work!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Echoing Leida: I cut coffee about six weeks ago because of a histamine thing, and there have been no changes to my belly fat. Previously I was a 20-40oz-a-day drinker, and I went cold turkey. Great changes to sleep and histamine levels, no change as far as BF. And I'm at a low enough BF% that if even a small change happened, I'd know.

I agree with the above posters that stuff like cutting coffee is a super fine-tuning element that probably won't have any noticeable effect if you're not already sub 15% (for women).

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I have read that it has to do with the way it stresses your adrenals, which the adrenals help with fat metabolism for one thing. Per Haylie Pomroy. She says that caffeine (coffee, teas, etc) before breakfast is a metabolism-killer.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Jocelyn is offline Junior Member
    I think you are doing great. IMHO, I would say to not worry about the coffee too much at this point. You've been doing this for 2 months which is awesome and it doesn't seem like daily coffee is seriously impacting anything.You are still forming your new behaviors. If you really, really love coffee, don't force yourself to let go yet. Focus on continuing to build these great new habits that you have been. Don't make yourself too uncomfortable and resentful when it's not necessary. Everyone wants to be so perfect but sometimes we just increase our odds of quitting all together! If you want to feel like your adjusting your coffee in some fat-burning type of way, I would recommend that you look into the benefits of MCT oil instead of just 10% cream.
    This is just my input, I know others feel very differently!

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I doubt caffeine would have a net fat gain. Body builders frequently go on EC stacks (epinephrine and caffeine) in order to help them lose weight.

But the fact that you are on 2-4 cups of coffee a day is somewhat worrying. You are potentially a caffeine addict (2 cups of coffee a day can lead to addiction) which means you are relying on that burst of caffeine, otherwise your brain is in withdrawal. I suggest you reduce by a cup a week and make sure you are getting enough sleep and exercise.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

QcGal is offline Junior Member
    So many replies, so many different opinions! Thanks to @all for your input. I guess I'll do what you all seem to be doing; find out what works for me.

I'll start with reducing the quantity and see how I feel about that.

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    I haven't drunk coffee for many years (except the occassional decaf). I am fat, and a lot of it is belly fat. So you've got work to do to convince me it's a weight loss miracle.

Coffee free does have other impacts, thought. It is freeing to just not need that hit. Hardest bit is watching people act like druggies in search of a score as they hang out for their cuppa. How can it be healthy to have such a strong addiction?

I favour dandelion tea bags of a morning. Looks like black coffee, not as sweet as many other herbals. You can get dandelion cappucino's in some cafe's around here.

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you don't want coffee, try Teeccino.
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast