Thread: Newbie with questions on daily menu! page

Midnight1962 is offline Junior Member

Newbie with questions on daily menu!

Hi, I just started primal about 5 days ago. To keep track of my carb/fat/protein intake, I have been putting what I eat into a "daily plate" type program. My days consists of the following: 5:30am Breakfast: egg white scramble with spinach, bacon and cheese (very little cheese), 8:00am 24oz iced tea (throughout morning), 12:00-1:00pm Lunch: large salad with grilled chicken, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, all veggies, again, iced tea. 6:00pm dinner: 2 chicken sausages, sauté onions and peppers in butter, 24oz of water. The "daily plate" program tells me that I'm eating 18% carbs, 38% protein, and 44% fat. I'm wondering if this is a good ratio or should I change something around? Also, if I'm 98% primal, when can I expect to be in ketosis? My exercise routine is a daily 30-35 minute walk during the week, weekends are a 50 minute hike both days.

Any guidance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Hi,
    Ketosis is not needed on primal, but if you want to get into it keep the carbs under 50 grams. If you want to lose weight keep it under 100 grams unless you exercise a lot. Adjust the ratios to something you feel good on, everyone is different, use the n=1 principle, experiment if you don't feel good on the recommended ratios.
    Using paleotracker will make it easier to track.
    Why are you only using egg whites? The yolk is a lot better, just eat the whole egg. And do you make your own iced tea or one with a lot of added sugar and other stuff?
    The rest sound ok. Have you read the PB book yet? Best to start there and tweak later.
    Last edited by paleodutch; 10-15-2013 at 05:15 AM.

I eat only the whites of eggs because my cholesterol is high and I didn't want it to go higher eating the yolks. For the tea, it isn't homemade but unsweetened ice tea from DD. I do put Splenda in it which I know is a no-no but I'm not 100% primal YET. I will definitely check out paleo tracker and try to get my carbs up a little, I know 18-20% is a little on the low side. Thanks for your help.

I put today's food into the paleo tracker and this is what I got.....

Carbs 18%
    Protein 27%
    Fat 56%

Not so good. It said I was legume free, that's it! Makes me kinda depressed

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the Primal Blueprint? You have to eat more fat if you're not eating a lot of carbs... and skipping the egg yolks due to cholesterol doesn't make sense to me. I go for about 1g protein per pound of lean body mass (so for me, about 150g), carbs around 75-100g, meaning about 60% of my calories are from fat. I eat lots of eggs, olive oil, butter, and other animal fats, and my cholesterol is fine at 49 y.o. Exercise, good sleep, and stress management are key for me. It's pretty much PB by the book, and it's been working for me going on 2 years. Good luck, keep it up!

NewOldGuy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1962 View Post
    I eat only the whites of eggs because my cholesterol is high and I didn't want it to go higher eating the yolks. For the tea, it isn't homemade but unsweetened ice tea from DD. I do put Splenda in it which I know is a no-no but I'm not 100% primal YET. I will definitely check out paleo tracker and try to get my carbs up a little, I know 18-20% is a little on the low side. Thanks for your help.
    You absolutely need to eat the whole egg, you are throwing out the healthiest part.

And instead of Splenda switch to stevia, which is all natural (from the stevia plant) and harmless. Don't get the ones blended with xylitol or dextrose or other junk (like Truvia) but get the pure stuff from SweatLeaf. They use some veggie fiber as filler for spoonability.