Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhabdomyolysis: How I almost died from being pushed to do too many pull-ups page

Chellegood is offline Junior Member

Rhabdomyolysis: How I almost died from being pushed to do too many pull-ups

Primal Fuel
    Folks, this is no joke. I'm a 37 year old mother of 5 who was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis after my trainer had me do a ridiculous amount of reps of a ridiculous exercise. If you are unfamiliar with this illness or work with a trainer, please take a moment to read my story and share it with your friends and family.

The Real Housewife of Bluemont: Mom of 5 Almost Dies From Pull-ups ~ My Story on Trainers, Rhabdomyolysis and Following Your Instincts

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Why did that exercise ever make sense to you ? Eccentric training is an advanced technique, great to finish off a set of strict regular pull ups but to jump up as you were doing for multiple reps ??!!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Wow, that's quite a story. I train myself and the most jumping/negative pullups I've ever done in a day is 5 and at first these absolutely wrecked me. They were probably one of the most strenuous things I have ever done.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Why did that exercise ever make sense to you ? Eccentric training is an advanced technique, great to finish off a set of strict regular pull ups but to jump up as you were doing for multiple reps ??!!
    Obviously, it made no sense to me. I'm not a trainer. I paid my trainer good money to be knowledgeable enough to direct my training. If you took the time to read the post, you would see that I have been seeing him for quite some time and trusted both him (and the gym).

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow, that's quite a story. I train myself and the most jumping/negative pullups I've ever done in a day is 5 and at first these absolutely wrecked me. They were probably one of the most strenuous things I have ever done.
    That's what I've been hearing from a lot of people. The load he had me to was outrageous. And reckless.

I guess it could have happened doing any strenuous workout though, if it hadn't happened there it could have been during a tough Cross-fit session or a grueling set of squats etc. It sucks but I guess we often don't realize what's in store for us till it's too late.

Absolutely. I got a local news crew to cover the story. It's just so important to understand that seeing a trainer your dangers are not just pulled hammies and torn ligaments. Had I have ever heard of rhabdo before this I would have told my trainer to take a hike. Knowledge is power. Gyms need to be educating their trainers AND their clients on this. I'm stunned by how many stories I've heard similar to mine since I wrote this blog post.

Very similar thing happened to another woman only a year older than yourself, pull ups as well, weird !

The “Killer Workout” That Almost Killed Me - Gate House
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 10-14-2013 at 04:29 PM.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    This is what happens when people judge a workout by how much it hurts. How many times have you heard crap like "that was an awesome workout, I'm so sore now!", or "that's a great way to hit your thighs - it really burns". Personally, and I might just be old-fashioned, but I judge a workout not by pain/soreness/burning but by results.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    This is what happens when people judge a workout by how much it hurts. How many times have you heard crap like "that was an awesome workout, I'm so sore now!", or "that's a great way to hit your thighs - it really burns". Personally, and I might just be old-fashioned, but I judge a workout not by pain/soreness/burning but by results.
    You are totally right but I still feel like I've not had a good workout unless I'm sore the next day.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast